It's news no it's an ad no it's...

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:39 am
I remember reading about this with the Medicare ad/ "news" segment. They already were rebuked, but they're doing it again...

Quote:
Bush Ad Appears to Be News Story

2 hours, 39 minutes ago

By BEN FELLER, AP Education Writer

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration has promoted its education law with a video that comes across as a news story but fails to make clear the reporter involved was paid with taxpayer money.

The government used a similar approach this year in promoting the new Medicare law and drew a rebuke from the investigative arm of Congress, which found the videos amounted to propaganda in violation of federal law.

Yahoo link... never seems to stick, haven't found it anywhere else yet.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041011/ap_on_el_pr/school_ads
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 574 • Replies: 7
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
This kind of stuff should really make people nervous. I know it does me.

BTW, it's those derned ampersands with yahoo. They are getting encoded with 'amp;', somehow when you click.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
Found a better link:

http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/wire/sns-ap-school-ads,0,4278578.story?coll=sns-ap-politics-headlines
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:13 am
Unfortunately, the news is filled with promotional pieces.

Why do you think Consumer Reports does those "news" segments? It's self-promotion, and nothing less.

We have health segments now and again and those are preformatted press releases, too.

The newspapers are no different. Look for anything which is a press release. Press releases usually don't say "Press Release" in the byline.

Instead, it will be credited to a media agency, or a local reporter--the reporter who typeset the press release.

FYI, press releases are written by companies and organizations for the sole purpose of self-promotion. They are written as, and usually published as, news stories.

I wish people would finally learn that you can't trust the news media!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:39 am
Do you think that's the ultimate lesson here?

I agree, by the way, and think that everything should be taken with several chunks of salt. I've been on the receiving end of journalism several times, most recently a profile in a national magazine, and each time I'm shocked at how skewed/ inaccurate they are. They're going for the story, and they take what fits the story and leave out what doesn't fit the story -- whether or not the "story" they have chosen is, strictly speaking, accurate.

That said, I think this is an entirely different beast. It is an out-and-out ad masquerading as a news segment, and is something that they have already been chastised for. I hope they get more than a slap on the wrist this time. (If it was even a slap -- more like a little tiny rub...)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:41 am
I think it's different because it's coming from the government. Isn't that the actual definition of propaganda? Facts are capable of standing on their own. If you have to go to these lengths to get your story out there then something is wrong with your story.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
Eyep.

Quote:
The video and documents emerged through a Freedom of Information Act request by People for the American Way, a liberal group that contends the department is spending public money on a political agenda. The group sought details on a $700,000 contract Ketchum received in 2003 from the Education Department.

One service the company provided was a video news release geared for television stations. The video includes a news story that features Education Secretary Rod Paige and promotes tutoring now offered under law.

The story ends with the voice of a woman saying, "In Washington, I'm Karen Ryan reporting."

It does not identify the government as the source of the report. It also fails to make clear the person purporting to be a reporter was someone hired for the promotional video.

Those are the same features -- including the voice of Karen Ryan -- that were prominent in videos the Health and Human Services Department used to promote the Medicare law and were judged covert propaganda by the Government Accountability Office in May.

(From my link above.)

Covert propaganda. Nice.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:50 pm
Couldn't be much of a penalty if they keep doing it.

I would be surprised, if not for the past four years...
0 Replies