How do you get rid of the smell?!

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 08:58 pm
Our cat left a delightful "gift" tucked away in my daughter's room, in the form of a dead squirrel. We only found it after it became ripe enough that we could track down the source of the odor! The body's been disposed of, Squirrel Homicide is on the job, the little squirrel chalk outline is on the floor, the cat's pleading the Fifth, but the stench remains despite my best efforts to rid the room of it. Any good ideas for a non-toxic way to get rid of the stink of squirrel death?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,742 • Replies: 21
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:09 pm
I'd start by burying it in baking soda until you find out. No harm could come from that.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:12 pm
Good idea! I'll go try that right now!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:57 pm
Foiled again! Everyone knows about baking powder!
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:55 am
Organic fluids from decomposition have probably seeped out and permeated into the surface where the corpse was deposited.
You need to thoroughly wash and disinfect that area to dissolve any deposits, then neutralize whatever remnants you haven't been able to remove... the baking soda will help, so will a layer of scented cat litter left on the spot and allowed to soak up the smell before being removed.
Wishing you success...
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:21 am
Ooh, it sounds like an episode of CSI! I love that show! Where can I get some of that stuff they spray around to show the blood deposits?

Just kidding. Thanks for the advice. I'll spend the afternoon working on the area in my rubber gloves.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:27 am
Hope there are some tips here that may help Smile

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33382&highlight=skunk
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:38 am
blacksmith..... a skunk placed in the offending room
may solve the problem!!!

Commiserations, I second baking soda, scented
cat litter, open windows.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:25 pm
Well, so far I've tried baking soda, deodorizing carpet cleaner twice and I'm leaving the cat litter on overnight. It stinks less, but it still stinks. Tomorrow, I'll vacuum up the cat litter and spray on a disinfecting spray that "destroys odors" according to the label.

If that doesn't work, I'm tearing down the room and remodeling...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:37 pm
Could the stench have gone through the carpet and into the floor boards? If the floor is covered, you might peel back the rug and dump on a bit of bleach.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:41 pm
hmmm, rent an ozone machine? I don't know if they work for that. Oh, and you have to leave for 24 hours..
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:40 am
Re seepage into the floor, it's concrete under the carpet. I don't know if that makes a difference. Personally, I've never known concrete to carry odors before.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 02:59 pm
blacksmithn--

Concrete is porous to some degree and would absorb some stench. Can you bleach, dry and seal that patch of concrete.

If your nose hasn't zonked out from overload, you might get down and personally check the concrete for lingering odors.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 03:22 pm
if it is in the closet, I suggest tearing up the carpet there and tossing. Then get the ozone and go to town. Lots of products out there cover it up and that's it.

Good luck. Smile
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 03:47 pm
Nah, it's not in the closet. It's about a foot from one wall in the middle of the room.

I'll vacuum up the kitty litter when I get home then hit it with the disinfectant spray and see what happens.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:34 pm
Hey, that disinfectant spray did the trick! It really did kill the stench-- that is, it got rid of it, it didn't just mask it with a more powerful smell.

For future reference, it's Bissell Disinfectant Spray. I got it at Big Lots for $1.99.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:08 pm
Thanks Blacksmith, I'll remember that
next time we get skunked.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:33 pm
Greater love hath not father than.....

Is the cat a habitual Mighty Hunter?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:45 pm
Yes, the cat is the Great Terror of mice, lizards, birds and small rodents. A veritable Grim Reaper of the garden. Not bad for a 14 year old feline who is otherwise scared of his own shadow. I just wish he'd keep his prey outdoors instead of bringing it in to share with his family.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:59 pm
blacksmithn--

You are an unappreciative biped.
0 Replies