VEGEMITE - making Aussies great for 80 years!

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:41 pm
I've never heard of promite....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:46 pm
dlowan

The British version of vegemite?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:49 pm
I thought that was marmite.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 10:58 pm
My nieces' doctor believes that the excellent health of Aussie kids can be attributed to vegemite. I can eat the stuff straight out of the jar (and have). Like Margo said, we were raised on the stuff. I can't remember not eating or liking vegemite.
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 12:14 am
me, i'm a promite man too, lil'k, didn't i lay some on you?

(that sounds ruder than it was)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 12:32 am
Promite? P r o m i t e ? ? Shocked
What is it with you people. Confused Didden ya get brung up proper-like ??Sheesh!

Mikey - I mostly eat it on toast, no butter, spread fairly thinly, with cheese on top and grilled, so the cheese melts over the Vege! I have it for breakfast a couple of times a week!

Goes well on fresh bread, with or without butter! When we were kids, we used to eat bread and butter and Vegemite, wrapped around good sized chips! (unfortunately called french fries in some parts of the world!) That was our school holiday Friday treat. I guess my mother wanted us to get our full carbohydrate hit in one sitting!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 12:38 am
You're right, msolga - it does explain why Lil K as is witty, etc., she is! And she's an Oz-friend, as well!

Mikey - needs to be spread very thinly!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 02:08 am
vegemite chip butty? My goddess!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 04:20 pm
Gosh. Haven't tried that one yet.
But very nice on Salada bikkies! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 04:54 pm
Domgy - I can't be sure, what with the jet lag and all, but I think it was only Vegemite..... Robin's kid's left-overs? Was there Promite too? How does the taste differ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 06:03 pm
ok - so it's better than eating yeast powder. but why the blankety blank would you eat yeast powder? yeast is pretty nasty stuff.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 06:09 pm
There's a nutritional yeast (like brewers yeast, sort of) that is flaky and light, not the little grains of dormant yeast you'd use to make bread. Yeast packs a lot of nutrition into a little package. Good on salads, in soups....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 06:38 pm
Brewer's yeast is excellent for a hangover. Full of vit B and other goodies. (So if you're pounding back bottle-conditioned brew, save the stubbies (eh?) for the next morning and drink the sludge. Mmmmmmmmmmm.........)

Can't abide vegemite, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:20 pm
still sounds vile
but it's got some cute historical ads (the current packaging's not so lovely)

do you think this is the weeLowan?
http://www.effect.net.au/lukastan/oz/Eats/Vegemite.gif
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:22 pm
ehBeth, have you ever had vegemite?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:26 pm
sounds waaaaaaaaay too salty
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:27 pm
editing duplicate
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:29 pm
It's not salty, it's tangy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:52 pm
It's only too salty if you eat a spoonful of it.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:54 pm
C'mon Wilso - it's salty! (and tangy)

I really crave it when I'm in continental Europe. I carry a small jar with me, like a good Aussie! All those sweet breakfasts get to me after a while, croissants, bread and jam, hot chocolate, whatever. I just hang out for that distinctive taste of Vegemite. On bread, perhaps with cheese. Gives me the right start to a day of scrambling around in a foreign language!

It's generated some odd looks, though, at some of the snootier places I've stayed!

And, of course, I leave home with a couple of kilos of it in my luggage, to top up the stores of friends! (and some of them are not even Aussies!)
0 Replies