VEGEMITE - making Aussies great for 80 years!

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 08:44 pm
Have fun!
hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 03:02 pm
can anyone send some VEGEMITE from australia, please! if none arrives soon this site will die of VEGEMITE DEPRIVATION. wouldn't want that to happen......YES/NO...? hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 03:06 pm
Heehee - you can buy it in Canada - somewhere - I am sure!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 03:06 pm
"Vegemite - the thinking netizen's Nutella."
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 03:16 pm
dlowan : i might be able to buy it right here in kingston. we have quite an interesting grocery/specialty store that has an enormous variety of colonial/international foods(cook's on brock street). but what i'm concerned about, what do i do with it once i have it? (we had nutella as kids in germany; i wonder if i would still eat it). hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 03:31 pm
Hmmm - well, I would buy the weeniest jar you could find.

I would take it home. I would either put a tiny scraping of it on hot, buttered toast, and see if you like it - more on if you do - OR - do you have little whole grain biscuits over there, with little holes? - wecall them "vitaweets" - you put butter on these, then vegemite - make a sandwich of two of them - squeeze them together until the butter and vegemite make little worms through the holes - then consume.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 04:40 pm
perhaps RYVITA might also work? i usually have some crispbread once or twice a week; recently i purchased a packet of the enormous round(about the size of a millstone) swedish crispbread again. i usually have some butter and good strong cheese with it. i find it's also good as a sort of cure for a "tummy upset" - if i have indulged in too much rich food - rye crispbread and good oldfashioned porridge will usually "fix me up again". and i can start the whole cycle over again..... oh, food, glorious food...... hbg
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 06:53 pm
Cheese goes great with vegemite and cracker biscuits. You don't have Sao's?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:37 pm
hamburger

A good friend of mine is being sent to Toronto for his sins - he must have done something just terrible!

We had his send off party on the weekend, but the clown hasn't gone yet! I'm sure he'll have a supply of Vegemite (he's a German-Australian, but we must have taught him something Confused ) Perhaps he'll share! (although he works for Nestle, so they mightn't allow him to export such things at company expense!)
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:31 am
I like eating Tiger Toast.
Toast one side of bread under grill
Turn over, butter and spread vegemite on toast, then place strips of cheese on toast and put under grill.

I first took a liking to Vegemite almost as soon as I arrived from England. It is oh so yummy, Australian and special.
margo

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 11:59 am
@NettieK,
G'day NettieK and welcome to A2K - and the Vegemite Appreciation Society

This is an old thread, but any visitors are welcome.

I'm heading to UK this week, and have stocked up on Vegemite for the stray expatriate Aussies I'll be catching up with.

Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 12:05 pm
@margo,
have you checked with the authorities?

that may be classed as chemical weapons now...
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:49 pm
I said it once, I'll say it again:

Vegemite: n.[ vej'-uh mite ]
An Australian condiment, reddish brown to almost black in color and of a consistency similar to peanut butter.
Vegemite is made from pulverized celery, onion and termites mixed with salt and various spices. Gaining in popularity is a newer version which substitutes pulverized cockroaches for the termites.
Australians are perplexed that their favorite condiment has never gained favor outside that country.

Hi y'all! :-)
msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:52 pm
@jjorge,
Quote:
Vegemite is made from pulverized celery, onion and termites mixed with salt and various spices.

Yum! And that's such a healthy combination of ingredients! How could we resist? Very Happy

(just saying g'day to you jjorge. Long time no see! Smile )
jjorge

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:38 pm
@msolga,
Hello my friend! G'day to you as well!
msolga

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:43 pm
@jjorge,
So, are we going to see more of you, jjorge?
We are thirsty, no desperate (!) for your poetic offerings!
How about some more? Smile

(Please excuse this tiny digression, Vegemite lovers.)
jjorge

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:18 am
@msolga,
"So, are we going to see more of you, jjorge?"

Yes. I can't be a heavy user but I'll be here more often
[I know I've said that before... but...]

"We are thirsty, no desperate (!) for your poetic offerings!"
How about some more?
[I am, at once, touched by your kind words and dismayed at your poor taste! ;-)

[my apologies too, for the off-topic digression ]
msolga

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:31 am
@jjorge,
You are too humble by far, my good fellow!
(AND I have excellent taste! ) Very Happy
ragnel

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:34 pm
@msolga,
As a child I was told by my grandfather that Vegemite was 'discovered' by workers at a brewery who were cleaning out the yeast sediment from the beer vats, readying them for the next batch. Licking the stuff off their fingers as they worked soon had them hooked and they brought jars to work to collect it. When the brewers found out, they decided to cash in on the discovery.

(Oops! That's not quite right, it should read...) When the brewers found out, they decided to dedicate their lives to the service of humanity by making it available for the betterment of the general public and the development of strong, healthy bones and rosy cheeks in children.
dadpad

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:27 pm
@margo,
Quote:
and have stocked up on Vegemite

Its available in tesco supermarkets.
0 Replies