Moving with a kiddo

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 05:13 pm
My husband is only a couple of years into a five-year postdoc position, but is getting a lot of interest from various places and has gone ahead and applied for two of the more appealing jobs. If he gets an offer, he may well be able to defer for a year or more.

He likes his current job a lot, and there is a small possibility that his current employer will try to keep him on permanently, but that's nothing to plan on.

I have been thinking about this a lot in terms of moving. My daughter would be almost 3 if we moved this year (early fall 2003), almost 4 if we defer and move the following year. Can anyone give me some ideas/ insight as to which age would be preferable for moving? I know it will be a huge thing for her, no matter what.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,256 • Replies: 4
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:53 pm
Kids are more resilient then we are, dont worry.
I would keep in mind however any daycare/preschool etc you plan to have her enrolled with...that could put a dimple in her attitude, if nothing else.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:55 pm
You mean, like better to move earlier so she can go to pre-school, make friends, and stay with 'em into Kindergarten? (Long day, [but good!] I'm a bit thick, bear with me... Confused)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 11:08 pm
I think it's better to move early if it's possible. The more involved a child is with friends, and in school the harder it will be to move. Kids are resilient and at an early age can adapt easily to change. The older and more involved with others they are when the move takes place, the more likely there will be a sense of trauma to overcome.

When my youngest daughter was 2 we moved to L.A. When we had an earthquake, we returned home to live after 5 months. She doesn't even remember the events. She was mostly involved at this time in her life with home, her sister and her parents. She hardly noticed that she had moved, except she was convinced that the witch from the Disneyland ride about Snow White was the culprit when the earth moved. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 11:14 pm
Hee hee! Interesting.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward earlier is better, too. I'm not sure my plans for pre-school -- I definitely want to be in the place where we are going to stay for a while before kindergarten, but either scenario (3, 4) would work. However, she already has some friends that she would miss if we moved, and is getting more social all the time, so earlier does make more sense in that regard.

She's going to have a really hard time with the moving to a new house part, though. Just her personality. Manageable, but I have no doubt that it will be quite a challenge.
0 Replies