Everyone ready for Bush/Kerry debate #2?

padmasambava

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 09:37 pm
Tell us to believe that the two right to lifers who asked questions are undecided voters. How did that little fraud get under the turnstile?

It didn't exactly conform to the rules.

I thought the president bombed. But they love him on the cable networks. I'm glad I watched c-span. Two talking heads are more than enough.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 09:47 pm
Online polls:

MSNBC - Kerry 73%, Bush 27% with 484,000 votes in, compared to Kerry 72%, Bush 28% last time around when 155,000 votes were in and Kerry 63% Bush 37% by the time 1,340,000 votes were in.

CNN - Kerry 81%, Bush 17% with 170,000 votes in, compared to Kerry 86%, Bush 12% last time with 65,000 votes in.

I'm not going to look for the Fox one again, I know there is one, Squinney and Jes quoted it, but I couldnt find it either after the last debate or after the veep debate, so I'm giving up ... ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 09:56 pm
Caller on CSPAN making a point of claiming that "Bush did very well and he never did anything like this well without a pre-rehearsed speech before and I think that he was rehearsed for this".

Ehm, yeah, I suppose he was. Probably not a good sign if your supporters start launching conspiracy theories to explain why the opponent did so well ...

I think Kerry was still better, myself, but Bush sure did better than last time, so I guess thats what attention will focus on - whats the TV networks and/or local TV saying over there?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:00 pm
padmasambava wrote:
Tell us to believe that the two right to lifers who asked questions are undecided voters. How did that little fraud get under the turnstile?

It didn't exactly conform to the rules.

I thought the president bombed. But they love him on the cable networks. I'm glad I watched c-span. Two talking heads are more than enough.

I guarantee that there were a couple of questioners whom Bush supporters didn't believe were undecided: "Mr. President, give us three examples of when you have been wrong."

Me (a Bush supporter), I think these folks, overall, did a very good job.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:06 pm
I heard Bush tell us what he believes... but I heard Kerry tell us what Kerry KNOWS.

It's a face-off between Faith and Knowledge.

If I'm bleeding, I want a Surgeon skilled at suturing, not a Faith Healer.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:08 pm
Magus wrote:
I heard Bush tell us what he believes... but I heard Kerry tell us what Kerry KNOWS.

What did he know?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:09 pm
Magus wrote:

I more ideologically based assessment I doubt we'll see.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:15 pm
You have a guy who has had a difficult job, and made a lot of hard calls, and another guy picking at him from the sidelines, saying he can do better...

It's easy to say you can do better. "I'll get the "allies" in line... I'll train the troops quicker... Excuse me if I want the Iraqi troops trained at a pace where they are well-trained. And just Not Being Bush won't bring France and Germany skipping in to help with Iraq.

Kerry is delusional. He got hoodwinked into a Bushesque Read My Lips statement...

But, Kerry has done better than I've seen him before in public. Bush did very well, also. In plain 'showmanship', it was a draw.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:20 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

I agree, good questions - perhaps better than the ones journalists often ask - and none about silly sidebars, either (swift vets anyone?).

The Note says:

Quote:
INSTANT DEBATE POLL: KERRY SMALL WIN AMONG SLIGHTLY MORE DEMOCRATIC AUDIENCE:

KERRY BEATS BUSH 44%, 41%... 13% SAY TIE

SLIGHTLY MORE DEMOCRATIC AUDIENCE:
Democrats: 35%
Republicans: 32%
Independents: 29%

Don't know what poll that is ... but a 3% win for Kerry among an audience of 3% more Dems means this really was a tie ...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:33 pm
nimh wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

I agree, good questions - perhaps better than the ones journalists often ask - and none about silly sidebars, either (swift vets anyone?).

The Note says:

Quote:
INSTANT DEBATE POLL: KERRY SMALL WIN AMONG SLIGHTLY MORE DEMOCRATIC AUDIENCE:

KERRY BEATS BUSH 44%, 41%... 13% SAY TIE

SLIGHTLY MORE DEMOCRATIC AUDIENCE:
Democrats: 35%
Republicans: 32%
Independents: 29%

Don't know what poll that is ... but a 3% win for Kerry among an audience of 3% more Dems means this really was a tie ...

And for Bush, a tie is as good as a win.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:02 pm
nimh wrote:

CNN - Kerry 81%, Bush 17% with 170,000 votes in, compared to Kerry 86%, Bush 12% last time with 65,000 votes in.

Update, Kerry gains ahead, even if is it is "just" CNN:

George W. Bush
12%
John Kerry
87%

Evenly matched
1%
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:03 pm
Thok wrote:
nimh wrote:

Update, Kerry gains ahead, even if is it is "just" CNN:

George W. Bush
12%
John Kerry
87%

Evenly matched
1%

Give me a break. It is just CNN, The Clinton/Communist/Collaborator News Network.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:03 pm
Besides, it's the swing voters that counts in the end.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:05 pm
btw, the polls should have required which party they belonged to before voting. I'm more interested in the independents over the liberals and conservatives at this stage in the campaign.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:07 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Give me a break. It is just CNN, The Clinton/Communist/Collaborator News Network.

Nope, so which broadcast do you watch? Maybe Fox... ?

cicerone imposter wrote:

I know it, we all (should) know it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:17 pm
Post on the National Review's The Corner:

Quote:
VERY WEIRD [John Hood]
The panel on MSNBC thinks Bush pretty clearly defeated Kerry -- got him to talk too much about the tax issue, put him on the defensive on values, etc. The Fox News panel is criticizing Bush for being too defensive and praising Kerry's performance. Huh?
Posted at 10:49 PM
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:22 pm
Thok wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Nope, so which broadcast do you watch? Maybe Fox... ?

cicerone imposter wrote:

I know it, we all (should) know it.

There is an enormous difference between watching a particular network and placing any faith in the utterly unscientific polls of their websites.

Yes, I watch FOX, but I would never cite the results of one of their website polls as even appearing to be authoritative.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:37 pm
Meanwhile, apparently (but I'm just copying this from a blog post of someone who saw it on TV ...), CNN also has a proper poll out, which has Kerry winning the debate by the narrowest of margins: 47% to 45%.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:53 pm
nimh wrote:
Meanwhile, apparently (but I'm just copying this from a blog post of someone who saw it on TV ...), CNN also has a proper poll out, which has Kerry winning the debate by the narrowest of margins: 47% to 45%.

Which sounds reasonable enough.

It's still, a Bush victory.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:11 am
Interesting debate might I add. I believe this was a good debate second time around. Kerry made quite a few smart remarks. Bush well I am glad he didn't twitch and didn't freeze for 3 min looking at the camera like he was from another planet. This is going to be tough. I am not sure who I am voting for just yet, but it's more likely Kerry gets my vote.
0 Replies