Boston's CITGO Sign

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:24 pm
I've been seeing the CITGO sign since I was a wee one. It signifies Boston's skyline as much as the gold dome on Capital Hill and the Prudential building. I never really thought much more about it until I took a look at this site (it has it's own site, doncha know).

CITGO.COM

Built in 1940, the 60'x60' sign has more than 5 miles of neon tubing needing 250 high-voltage transformers to light. It even has it's own keeper - he's been maintaining the sign since 1965.

http://www.citgo.com/Images/AboutCitgo/bostonsign2.gif
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,473 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:28 pm
I believe it's been designated a historic landmark, littlek, and is therefore protected from any new zoning regulations and/or anti-billboard laws that might affect the rest of Kenmore Square. I can remember when the sign was green and said Cities Service instead of Citgo.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:30 pm
You can? When was that?

In the 80s (I think) Citgo was going to dismantle the sign, but residents stopped the deconstruction and had it saved.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:37 pm
That was back in the 50s and 60s, before Cities Service changed its corporate name to Citgo. It was the same sign, same triangle, and I assume the same miles and miles of tubing. Just a different color and name.

BTW, does anyone reading this thread live on the West side of Manhattan? Is that Spry sign still up on the Jersey shore, flashing all night? I always thought of that as a landmark, too.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:46 pm
Seems like every major city has some enormous neon sign that has stood the test of time and is now protected.

I saw this one every day during my college years....

http://www.0sil8.com/episodes/mpls_signs/images/photos/grainbeltbeer.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:55 pm
speaking of the highway of life, this sign has confronted me since childhood:
http://seaburn.com/blackbooksplus/no%20exit.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:57 pm
That sign does appear to be a good representation of your life, dys.

I'll see if I can find one that represents mine.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:58 pm
Aw, sorry Dys....

Grain Belt Beer. MMMmmm, I bet that is a mighty fine brew (not!).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:27 pm
littlek wrote:
Grain Belt Beer. MMMmmm, I bet that is a mighty fine brew (not!).

Oh... excuuuuuuse me! And what do you drink, Ms. Hootie Tootie? Princess Newcastle Golden Import?

I love Grain Belt beer. It gives me reason to live.

And you come along and belittle it.

I'll borrow one of your phrases and say..... hmph!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:29 pm
<pat pat>

I like ale, is all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:29 pm
and not newcastle
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:33 pm
littlek wrote:
<pat pat>

That was a very soothing gesture, littlek. All my anger was washed away by that simple movement.

What can I say?

Thanks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:15 pm
sure thing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:06 am
I well recall the Citgo sign - I went to BU and you could see the sign from just about anywhere on (well, it's not really a campus, just the buildings) - "campus".

In Warren Towers (700 Commonwealth Avenue, the three ugly 70s-era dormitory towers) there is or at least was, when I was in college - '79 - '83 - a cult of the Citgod. People would stand facing it with their fingers in a triangle shape (both thumbs are horizontal and face one another, and both index fingers are at a vertical 45 degree angle and touching) and omm to the Citgod. In the stairwells, there was graffitti that said things like "Smile, Citgo loves you."

I never lived in Warren Towers so I wasn't as much of a cultist, but the Citgo sign was always the surest sign (no pun intended) that I was not lost. Just follow the Citgo sign back to Kenmore Square and home, which was the Myles Standish dorm for my last two years there.
0 Replies