Battery bank says do not use other chargers

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 04:41 pm
Hi. I have an external battery bank for jumpstarting, phone charging, etc... and the input is said to be 1A, 12V and DC. It says do not use any unapproved chargers since it can damage the battery bank.

How true is this? I ask because I have a 1000mA, 12V and DC charger on hand from a different, albeit older, device. I check and it DOES charge but can anyone tell me whether this 'don't use other chargers' is just marketing BS?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,438 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 04:51 pm
Some battery banks can be damaged by using chargers intended for a different battery technology. Some types of battery need special charge cycles and the approved charger will have a monitoring chip to prevent overcharging, battery damage, fire, etc.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 04:55 pm
@mounster,
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_from_a_usb_port
0 Replies

seac

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 08:10 pm
@mounster,
I bought this universal battery charger that does four batteries at a time, AAA,AA, C, or D cells. It is supposed to do alkaline, nicad, li-ion, and some others. When I used a volt meter to see what voltage was being put across the batteries, I was surprised at how it fluctuated between zero to 11volts. It would throw the high voltage for a few seconds at a time, till the battery was charged up. It sort of fried some AAA batteries, with liquid leaking out of them. I get good charging results for the AA batteries which I use a lot in my cameras. But this may not be good for Li-ion batteries which may pop or catch fire.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 08:16 pm
@seac,
Please read this article.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/health_concerns
0 Replies