Am I being charged with battery?

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2020 09:02 pm
I got a letter today from an attorney. The letter is stated as an advertisement. It says I have been charged with battery and gives a case number. I've looked up the case number and no results were found. I've looked up my name on the public records for indiana, no results found. I had an incident on Thanksgiving and am just now getting a letter in the mail, December 16. I've never gotten into trouble with the law. The letter says the attorney seen my charge through public record. Yet I see nothing. I'm too scared to call the attorney to ask them. Any comments?

roger

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2020 09:24 pm
@Paraxiety,
My guess is you should ignore the ambulance chaser. Should you receive official notification, find a lawyer. Not the one you who contacted you.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2020 11:50 pm
If the charge was battery and the battery was charged then the lights were on but there was no-one at home.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2020 01:36 pm
What was the incident? Were you arrested? Charged? Went before the judge or jury?

Lawyers do get names of people that run through jail or through the court system. So this is a solicitation letter to see if you do need a lawyer. Since you don’t throw it in the trash.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2020 03:44 pm
@Paraxiety,
Were you arrested?

If you weren't, then it's not a charge. If it's anything, it would be a tort case (for money damages).

Don't be afraid of calling them up and telling them to tell you exactly what is allegedly going on. Don't let them sweet talk you into going there or getting a free consultation or any other such crap. If they have court documents, then you want to see them, here's 50 cents per page for your troubles.

Either they're full of it and just trying to get your business (possible), or they have stuff which the state of Indiana hasn't yet entered into their online system (this can happen).

You're entitled to a copy of any lawsuit against you.

And as for any nonsense you've seen on TV or in the movies about people ducking service of process, that doesn't do you any good and it does not help your case (if there actually is a case). Why? Because you'll just be hit with a default judgment against you, and will have to hire a lawyer to unravel it anyway.

So tell them you want to see the papers.
0 Replies