Mailing a Resume

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:38 pm
Edit: Moderator: Moved from General to Life at Work

I've been educated about sending a resume with a staple to hold the pages together. But recently, someone told me that it wasn't professional to do that. Would anyone give me some insight? I'm getting ready to send one off for an awesome job and I want to make sure I'm updated on today's trends.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 968 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:10 am
the last time i snailmailed my resume, i folded it, unstapled, so that the creases divided the pages into 3 equal sections (so they would easily fit into a business envelope)...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:36 am
One thing you might want to do is make sure your contact info is on every page, and that the pages all say Page 1 out of 3 (or however many pages there are) so that, in case the pages become separated from one another, the employer has a fighting chance of finding everything, or at least they know to contact you and ask for the missing page(s).

And good luck to you!
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:34 pm
Many places now scan resumes to get an electronic copy, and you can be reasonably certain they will photocopy your resume (unless their posting requests you to send in multiple copies). For this reason I would advise against folding the resume and also against stapling it. A paper clip might be appropriate if you want to make sure everything stays together.
(Note: this is my opinion as a technical manager who is currently trying to hire someone; knowledgeable HR people may suggest that you do things differently)
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 04:21 pm
lab rat wrote:
Many places now scan resumes to get an electronic copy, and you can be reasonably certain they will photocopy your resume (unless their posting requests you to send in multiple copies). For this reason I would advise against folding the resume and also against stapling it. A paper clip might be appropriate if you want to make sure everything stays together.
(Note: this is my opinion as a technical manager who is currently trying to hire someone; knowledgeable HR people may suggest that you do things differently)

Paper clips. The simple things you never think of. Thanks!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 11:55 am
Sorry to introduce another complication, but the post office isn't crazy about lumpy paper clips running through their expensive equipment.

I'd mail your resume flat and assume that the person to whom you've addressed the envelope (you are addressing your application to a specific person, aren't you?) has a pot of paper clips on his/her desk.
0 Replies