News & discussion on house and senate races

jespah

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:23 am
Dems take House, CNN projects; Senate still undecided

CNN) -- Democrats will take control of the House of Representatives for the first time since the 1994 Republican revolution, while control of the Senate hangs in the balance, CNN projects.

Democratic challengers have picked up four seats in the Senate, CNN projects. Republicans would need to take just one of the two remaining competitive races to keep control of the chamber. Results are still too close to call in Montana and Virginia.

In Montana, Republican Sen. Conrad Burns was running behind his Democratic challenger, state Sen. John Tester.

etc. etc. The rest is online.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:53 am
dlowan wrote:
Can this be true????????????

NEWSFLASH: Democrats Win Both Houses
Wednesday, 8 November 2006, 8:05 pm

Any news from the USA re this?

Any news? Errm, what are we (posters of the last 15 pages), chopped liver?

The one-page summary update can be found on the front page of most any US news site...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:57 am
nimh wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Can this be true????????????

NEWSFLASH: Democrats Win Both Houses
Wednesday, 8 November 2006, 8:05 pm

Any news from the USA re this?

Any news? Errm, what are we (posters of the last 10 pages), chopped liver?

As I understood the news from you guys, it reflected what I read, and Jes just posted, from CNN...ie Senate still in doubt.

The New Zealand story claimed this was no longer so, that the count revealed a decisive surge for the Democrats.

I am wondering if anyone else has read of such a decisive surge.

I'll give you chopped liver.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:58 am
Va. will go into recount mode automatically. History shows that usually means an automatic win for the repubs.

That's all I know right now for sure.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:16 am
The recount should be fun in Va. Without paper ballots they won't be able to do actual recounts. Webb winning makes it hard to change the vote without evidence. If the machines start giving different numbers, I would guess it will require a congressional investigation of the software.

All those people that said "trust the machines" may find themselves with egg all over their face.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:30 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Va. will go into recount mode automatically. History shows that usually means an automatic win for the repubs.

I understand, but you feeling any less pessimistic about elections in general, this morning?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:31 am
snood wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I understand, but you feeling any less pessimistic about elections in general, this morning?

how could I not? Very Happy
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 06:37 am
Me, too!!

The damn schemes and dirty tricks didn't work for once!!!!!
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:06 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Last year, for Attorney General, a Republican at first won by some 300 votes. A statewide recount only gave him 40 more votes.

True, the end result is the Republican won. But the fact that a recount only increased his total by 40 votes means

A) whatever the current setup, the recount tends to reinforce the initial vote almost exactly

B) this time, with a "practice run" behind them, the recount should take a lot less time-they're going over the same ground they did last year.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:21 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Last year, for Attorney General, a Republican at first won by some 300 votes. A statewide recount only gave him 40 more votes.

True, the end result is the Republican won. But the fact that a recount only increased his total by 40 votes means

A) whatever the current setup, the recount tends to reinforce the initial vote almost exactly

B) this time, with a "practice run" behind them, the recount should take a lot less time-they're going over the same ground they did last year.

good moderate voice of reason there, and hopefully quite correct.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:24 am
Im so post orgasmic that im smoking a Salem, and I hate menthol.

Ricky Santorum had Karl Rove involved and Karl was speaking from DC about how the GOP would retain the Senate absolutely. This AM Karl appears to be wearing te omelette.

Frabjus Day, Kalloo Kallay.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:00 am
That's quite the beamish boy look you have going there Farmer
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:26 am
OK, news looks pretty darn good! Excellent about the House. Hope Webb pulls through after Virginia recount. Pity about Pryce, bleh.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 08:37 am
I think its a near certainty the Dems will get the senate too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:03 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
I think its a near certainty the Dems will get the senate too.

In a couple of weeks, if not months.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:28 am
So, did Tester basically win Montana then?

The neat TPMCafe link Cyclo gave has Tester up by 0,43% - 48,94% against 48,51% - with 99% of the votes in..
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:43 am
Yup, tester up in Montana and Webb up in VA

The Dems will take the Senate, it is only a matter of time now

The sound of REpublican heads exploding like rotten pumpkins... is reaching my window...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:44 am
re Tester:

http://i14.tinypic.com/3466k2a.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:50 am
All we need now is vigilant observers during the recounts...
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:55 am
Congratulations to Pennsylvania on dropping Santorum. Farmerman deserves to smoke anything he wants. (Santorum flip-flopped on science education depending on which way he thought the political winds were blowing.)
0 Replies