News & discussion on house and senate races

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:03 pm
nimh wrote:
And: Arizona - really??

More surprising news from Arizona: a new poll has Kyl up by just 4,5% against Pedersen - and that comes on the heels of another poll (by a separate pollster) in which his lead had already been cut to 6%.

Pederson narrows Kyl lead, poll says
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:34 pm
But Tennessee is slipping away.

Corker has now had over 50% in three of the last four polls out - whereas he hadnt gotten over 50% in any of the previous polls - ever - in this race.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8017/tennessee031106yh5.gif
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:00 pm
Another example of what this year is a trend in the candidates the two parties pit against each other: Incumbent Republican armchair hawks, trying to call the Democratic war veterans who challenge them unpatriotic or soft.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
Good evening to yall. Two days and a wake-up until Tuesday.

I thought I read that there will be no more major polls done. I could be wrong about that though. I would have thought the newspapers and networks would have done one more ending Friday, Nov 3rd, in order to have something to talk about on Sunday.
I browsed around the various source threads this afternoon and was surprised to note that the NY Times, since my last visit yesterday, had moved New Jersey and Montana from Toss-up to Leaning Dem. NJ I can understand. But Montana? One day after the President came to campaign for Mr Burns?
According to the Times, only Missouri and Virginia are Toss-ups

In Missouri, my thinking is that the stem cell research issue on the ballot (and Michael J Fox) may help McGaskill by a critical % or 2.
And in Virginia (my state) Allen's succession of self-inflicted wounds (along with his whole-hearted support of Mr Bush) may have piled up against him.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 06:53 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
I browsed around the various source threads this afternoon and was surprised to note that the NY Times, since my last visit yesterday, had moved New Jersey and Montana from Toss-up to Leaning Dem. NJ I can understand. But Montana? One day after the President came to campaign for Mr Burns?

Odd indeed. The very last poll out, by Mason-Dixon (end date 11/2), has the two candidates tied for the first time, at 47% each.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 09:02 am
Ha! By Sunday morning The Times had moved Montana back into the Toss-up category.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 02:31 pm
The final Mason-Dixon poll in Virginia shows Webb (d) at 46%, Allen (r - incumbent) at 45%, Norton (i) at 2% and Undecided at 7%.
It is the first time that a Mason-Dixon poll has shown Webb leading (and I read somewhere that Mason-Dixon tends to lean a bit towards Repubs but I can't prove that allegation) and the margin of error of 4% makes it somewhat meaningless by itself. But...
In the "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" thread, I have moved Virginia into the Dem category.
Here is why:
1) Allen has run a terrible campaign, with a series of gaffes that have made him a bit of a laughing stock. True, Webb has also stumbled and is seen as very wooden. But I would give a point to Webb.
2) Allen has been virtually 100% supportive of everything Mr Bush is doing. His loyalty to a President with a low approval rating may cost him dearly.
More significantly, in my mind, are these little nuggets from the Mason-Dixon poll and anecdotal things.
3) The so called "Marriage Amendment" that is on our ballot this year (I wrote about that, I think on this thread, earlier) is sinking in popularity:
52% supported it but it is now down to 49%
42% opposed it but it is now up to 48%
Allen is in favor or it while Webb is opposed. But neither has wanted to become too closely associated with it. Conservatives will vote for it and for Allen. Liberals will vote against it and for Webb. But the middle? It might bring them to the polling booth to vote on that issue, and that favors Webb, in my mind.
4) Why would that favor Webb? Because African-American voters support the "Marriage" amendment and, as long as they are there, they are going to punch the button for Webb vs Allen, who has this shadow of racism chasing him around.
5) And women, and folks who are in urban areas? Virginia is no longer the old South. The demographics are changing so rapidly. Even since 2004.

Johnboy will, fortunately, end his career in the old South, where a true Virginian would give his promise to another true Virginian that something good would happen for their mutual benefit. A firm handshake was good enough to seal a deal.

Thank you for reading this. -rjb-
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:33 pm
Hey rjb, interesting, and I sure hope you're right.

There is some reason for doubt, though - see this post..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:47 pm
TWO MORE DAYS!!! JUST TWO MORE DAYS!!!!!

Sorry, it just hit me. It's been such a long time coming. Sooooooo curious what'll happen...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:11 am
http://i14.tinypic.com/4d6v8ch.jpg
http://i14.tinypic.com/4c2cev5.jpg

Quote:
For the first time since 1994, Democrats are in a position to capture control of the House of Representatives in Tuesday's midterm elections, polls suggest. In the Senate, too, Democrats are within striking distance of winning back a majority, but Republicans are raising strong resistance and are considered likely to hang onto control. Tune into WGN-Ch. 9 or CLTV for coverage.

KEY SENATE RACES

In order to take over the Senate, Democrats need to win six additional seats without losing any seats they now hold. Some analysts believe they would need to win seven of these eight races.

44 Democrats
55 Republicans
1 Independent

33 SEATS UP FOR GRABS

MISSOURI
Embryonic stem cell research is a key issue between GOP Sen. Jim Talent, who opposes it, and Democrat Claire McCaskill, who has made it a centerpiece of her campaign.

MONTANA
Republican Sen. Conrad Burns is on the defensive after several verbal gaffes, giving Democrat Jon Tester an opening in this conservative state.

NEW JERSEY
Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez is fending off a stiff challenge from Republican Thomas Kean Jr., the son of the popular former governor.

OHIO
Republican corruption scandals and anger over the Iraq war imperil GOP Sen. Mike DeWine. Democrat Sherrod Brown has been leading in the polls for months.

PENNSYLVANIA
Republican Sen. Rick Santorum, a social conservative, may have met his match in another social conservative, Bob Casey, a Democrat who shares Santorum's opposition to abortion.

RHODE ISLAND
Sen. Lincoln Chafee, the moderate Republican who followed in his father's footsteps, is considered a likely loser to Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse in this overwhelmingly Democratic state.

TENNESSEE
Democrat Harold Ford Jr. could be the first African-American from the South elected to the Senate in modern history, but Republicans are trying to paint him as an immature playboy in hopes of electing former Chattanooga Mayor Bob Corker.

VIRGINIA
Republican Sen. George Allen stumbled early when he called a campaign worker for Democratic challenger Jim Webb "macaca," a derogatory term for non-Caucasians.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:13 am
Quote:
KEY HOUSE RACES

Democrats need a net gain of 15 seats to wrest control of the House. No Democratic seats appear to be at great risk. Even Democratic Rep. Melissa Bean, a first-termer in a traditionally Republican district in northwest suburban Chicago, has tracked well in the polls, though a wave of negative ads against her may have tightened her race against David McSweeney. These 23 Republican-held seats seem most vulnerable.

202 Democrats
232 Republicans
1 Independent

435 SEATS UP FOR GRABS

NORTH SUBURBAN MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL (6TH)
The Democratic nominee is children's advocate Patty Wetterling, who ran a hard-hitting ad on the Foley matter. Her opponent is GOP state Sen. Michele Bachmann.

EASTERN IOWA (1ST)
Represented by Rep. Jim Nussle, who is running for governor, this district race features Democrat Bruce Braley, a Waterloo lawyer, opposed by Republican Mike Whalen, a businessman from Bettendorf.

WEST SUBURBAN CHICAGO (6TH)
The race to replace retiring conservative legend Rep. Henry Hyde has become a symbol of the battle for control of Congress. Political novice Tammy Duckworth, an Army helicopter pilot who lost both legs in the Iraq war, is running against GOP state Sen. Peter Roskam.

OHIO
SOUTHEAST OHIO (18th)
Democrat Zack Space is leading in the polls over Republican Joy Padgett for the seat that was held by Republican Bob Ney, who pleaded guilty to corruption charges and resigned Friday.

COLUMBUS, OHIO, AREA (15TH)
Rep. Deborah Pryce, a member of the House leadership, has called Rep. Foley a friend, which is being used against her. Pryce's opponent is Mary Jo Kilroy, a county commissioner.

BUFFALO, AREA (26TH)
Rep. Tom Reynolds heads the Republican House campaign effort, and it's remarkable that his seat is at risk. Questions were raised about his handling of the Foley matter. He faces a rematch against Democratic businessman Jack Davis.

NORTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT (5TH)
Rep. Nancy Johnson, who has served 12 terms, and Democratic state Sen. Chris Murphy face off in a race that has gotten testy.

EASTERN CONNECTICUT (2ND)
In the most Democratic-leaning district in the country represented by a Republican, Rep. Rob Simmons tries to beat back a challenge by Joe Courtney.

SOUTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT (4TH)
Moderate Republican Rep. Chris Shays is in a rematch with Democrat Diane Farrell. He won a narrow victory in 2004 in a district that includes New York suburbs.

SUBURBAN DENVER (7TH)
This is the race to replace Republican Rep. Bob Beauprez, running for governor of Colorado. Republican Rick O'Donnell has drawn fire for comments on Social Security. The Democrat is Ed Perlmutter, a former state senator.

SOUTHEASTERN ARIZONA (8TH)
In the race to replace retiring Rep. Jim Kolbe, Republican nominee Randy Graf's views are so hard-line that the national GOP has pulled out of his race with Democratic former state Sen. Gabrielle Giffords.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:14 am
Quote:
ALBUQUERQUE AREA (1ST)
In a hard-fought race, Democratic state Atty. Gen. Patricia Madrid is taking on Rep. Heather Wilson, who has tried to distance herself from President Bush.

SUBURBAN HOUSTON (22ND)
Because of a court ruling, Tom DeLay's name stays on the ballot even though he's bowed out, forcing Republicans to mount a write-in campaign for Houston City Councilwoman Shelley Sekula-Gibbs against a well-financed Democrat, former Rep. Nick Lampson.

FLORIDA'S WEST COAST (13TH)
This Republican-leaning district, now represented by Katherine Harris--bane of Democrats, who is running for Senate-- is up for grabs, with Republican Vern Buchanan opposing Democrat Christine Jennings.

SOUTH CENTRAL FLORIDA (16TH)
Mark Foley quit because of the scandal involving sexually oriented electronic messages to former congressional pages, but his name remains on the ballot, making this a tough race for the GOP. State Rep. Joe Negron, a Republican from Stuart, is running against Democrat Tim Mahoney, a Palm Beach Gardens businessman.

PENNSYLVANIA
WEST SUBURBAN PHILADELPHIA (6TH)
Rep. Jim Gerlach meets Democratic attorney Lois Murphy, who came within 7,000 votes of beating him two years ago.

WEST/NORTHWEST SUBURBAN PHILADELPHIA (7TH)
Rep. Curt Weldon, a Republican whose chances went down after the FBI raided the homes of his lobbyist daughter and a friend of his, is running against Joe Sestak, a retired Navy vice admiral.

NORTH SUBURBAN PHILADELPHIA (8TH)
Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick faces Democrat Patrick Murphy, an Iraq war veteran, in this race to represent Bucks County.

NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA (10TH)
Republican Rep. Don Sherwood settled a lawsuit by his mistress, who accused him of assaulting her. Polls show he is trailing Democrat Chris Carney in this conservative district.

NORTH-CENTRAL INDIANA (2ND)
Rep. Chris Chocola faces a challenge from Democrat Joe Donnelly, a lawyer and businessman.

SOUTHWESTERN INDIANA (8TH)
Sheriff Brad Ellsworth, one of the Democrats' prize nominees, is running a strong race against GOP Rep. John Hostettler.

SOUTHEASTERN INDIANA (9TH)
Rep. Mike Sodrel squares off with former Democratic Rep. Baron Hill, whom he edged out two years ago.

PALM BEACH COUNTY, FLORIDA (22ND)
Republican Clay Shaw, a 26-year House veteran, is getting a strong challenge from Democrat Ron Klein.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:14 am
Quote:
POLL CLOSINGS

All times Central

States with key races

6 p.m.
Georgia, Indiana*, Kentucky*, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia

6:30 p.m.
Ohio, West Virginia

7 p.m.
Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida*, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire*, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee

7:30 p.m.
Arkansas, North Carolina

8 p.m.
Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming

9 p.m.
Iowa, Montana, Nevada, Utah

10 p.m.
California, Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, North Dakota, Washington Midnight Alaska*

* States where polls close at different times; the last closing time shown.

sources: Chicago Tribune, 06.11.2006, page 11 and online
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:16 pm
Watch Kentucky and Indiana (South Bend, in particular) for an early glimpse of how this may all end up. The polls close pretty early. There are some competitive House races. Watch the trend in those contests.

I am fearful about something. Something we really haven't touched on much here, if at all. And that is the credibility of the election process itself.
Tomorrow, for four hours, Johnboy (a volunteer) will sit behind the poll workers (also volunteers) who check folks' ID's and verify their status as registered voters and then send them on to someone (also a volunteer) who directs them to the next available voting machine. Most of the volunteers are older than Johnboy (60). I will be watching for any behavior that might appear to be biased.

I am very concerned that, in what may be many close elections around the country, there will be charges of vote fraud or voting machine malfunctions (many people will be voting on new machines for the first time). This could get ugly if any of that happens.

And, oh yes there is this. I vote at an elementary school a half of a mile from my house. The kids have tomorrow off. The Parent/Teacher Association has a table where they sell baked goods just before you leave (Johnboy votes at 7 am). It used to be a solidly Repub area but now we are pretty closely divided.
I used to spend $10 buying homemade baked goods that my neighbors had brought to raise money for the school. But they can't do that anymore, evidentally. Terrorism, sanitation. I don't know. Instead they sell Krispy Kreme donuts.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:23 pm
Yeah, I'm worried about that too. I decided that what I would most like to have happen is:

1.) Democrats do great tomorrow.
2.) Republicans cry foul.
3.) Various commissions are established to get to the bottom of things.
4.) It's discovered that in fact the victories are legitimate BUT
5.) These commissions officially uncover all kinds of ridiculous irregularities and weaknesses in the system and
6.) The voting process is overhauled.

We're a first-world country, our voting process should reflect that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:44 pm
sozobe wrote:
Yeah, I'm worried about that too. I decided that what I would most like to have happen is:

1.) Democrats do great tomorrow.
2.) Republicans cry foul.
3.) Various commissions are established to get to the bottom of things.
4.) It's discovered that in fact the victories are legitimate BUT
5.) These commissions officially uncover all kinds of ridiculous irregularities and weaknesses in the system and
6.) The voting process is overhauled.

We're a first-world country, our voting process should reflect that.

I agree with the whole scenario you cited as what would be a great outcome of tomorrow's happenings Sozobe, but I'd go one further...
I would put at number '6'-

6) The irregularities uncovered were found to be mostly perpetrated by the republicans, and they still weren't enough to steal the election.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:02 pm
snood wrote:
6) The irregularities uncovered were found to be mostly perpetrated by the republicans, and they still weren't enough to steal the election.

There are a couple of dozen Democrats who've been indicted for election fraud from 2004. I imagine we'll see more of the same this year.

Annoy the media. Vote Republican.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:11 pm
SierraSong wrote:
snood wrote:

There are a couple of dozen Democrats who've been indicted for election fraud from 2004. I imagine we'll see more of the same this year.

Annoy the media. Vote Republican.

Couple dozen, huh? That's like - you know of 24 democrats already indicted for election fraud?

You want to admit you're pulling that out of your butt now, or should we waltz some, first?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 03:22 am
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 03:29 am
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/11/06/opinion/06mmchart1.gif

I had problems getting the box up to insert the image URL. Anyone?
0 Replies