News & discussion on house and senate races

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 03:30 am
It is a graph showing that US voters are just above Mexico and Italy in the confidence we feel in our election process, among democratic countries.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 05:05 am
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:49 am
SierraSong wrote:
snood wrote:
6) The irregularities uncovered were found to be mostly perpetrated by the republicans, and they still weren't enough to steal the election.

There are a couple of dozen Democrats who've been indicted for election fraud from 2004. I imagine we'll see more of the same this year.

Annoy the media. Vote Republican.

You are lying.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:50 am
What the bettors say about who will win... http://specials.slate.com/futures/
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:12 am
Interesting news from the ever closer Maryland Senate race:

Quote:

FLY IN THE OINTMENT:

Bob Menendez no longer appears likely to be the Democrats' election-day goat. But Maryland Senate nominee Ben Cardin still hasn't shaken off Michael Steele: Two recent polls [..] have Cardin barely up, by a 49-46 margin.

I must say I'm surprised. Sure, Cardin is a drab guy--but he's an experienced hand in a blue state with the political wind at his back. Steele, by contrast, strikes me as somewhat clueless. And I found his offbeat TV ads, which I saw repeatedly here in the DC media market, to be a little weird. But someone must have liked them.

Update: My ever-sage colleague John Judis writes in with a richer take:

Mike, Steele's ads, and his campaign in general, have been among the most brilliant I've seen. He has dramatized his own independence and highlighted Cardin's age, his lack of imagination, and his partisanship--he has made him look like an oldtime Maryland machine Democrat--while also taking advantage of the racial divisions within the state Democratic party--some of which go back to 2002--to win endorsements from black Democrats in Prince George County. But I still don't think he'll win. Cardin can count of Democratic loyalties in PG and Montgomery County and on his own popularity in Baltimore and its suburbs. I also think that Steele, like Ford, will suffer from a racial vote that doesn't show up in the polls.
And now comes reader EC:

In part it's about black voters defecting to Steele. 1. All the black city council members in PG county [URL=http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20061030-013049-2641r.htm]backed Steele[/URL]. 2. Mfume has been AWOL over the past month -- and his son is [url=http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20061104-112723-3354r.htm]campaigning with Steele![/url]
Thanks for the feedback, gents.

--Michael Crowley

posted 4:35 p.m.

Extra info and a correction in this reader comment: Shocked

Quote:
Mfume endorsed Cardin
posted by stgla on 2006-11-06 21:24:40

HIs son, who is a nobody, endorsed Steele. Jack Johnson endorsed Steele. A few of the PG County board members endorsed Steele, but Steele and Ehrlich are circulating a fake slate "voters' guide" to mislead black voters into thinking that Steele and Ehrlich are Democrats.

The sleazy fake slate tactic goes like this. A flyer goes to black voters homes saying "THese are OUR candidates" and on the cover are photos of the three highest profile black politicians including two (JOhnson and Mfume) who have endorsed CARDIN and O'MALLEY/BROWN. The inside has a filled in ballot iwth all Democrats for hte local seats, like Al Wynnn (D, MD-06), etc. and a check mark next to Ehrlich and Steele for gov and sen.

It leaves the false impression that the two Republicans are Democrats, that they are part of the slate that Democrats endorse and that the guys on the cover endorse them. False, false, and false.

Sleazorama.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:12 am
From the horse's mouth this morning.

Watch news at 6:30-7:30.

There is a quaranteen on reporters who are sitting waiting for exit poll information - sequestered in a windowless, no communication room until 5 p.m.

But Indiana and Kentucky close at 6 pm. Three seats in Indiana and 2 in Kentucky. If they go Democratic - then that is the major trend. If it is very close on those races, or split - then it will be a long night.

You will get the information first from Tim Russert, either on NBC or MSNBC.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:23 am
Quote:
The Cook Political Report is a non-partisan,
online analysis of electoral politics.

Political Updates

November 6, 2006

• Going into Election Day, we see a 20-35 seat gain for Democrats in the House, a four to six seat gain for Democrats in the Senate and a six to eight seat gain for Democrats in the governor's races.

All Monday there was considerable talk that the national picture had suddenly changed and that there was a significant tightening in the election. This was based in part on two national polls that showed the generic congressional ballot test having tightened to four (Pew) and six (ABC/Wash Post) points.

Seven national polls have been conducted since Wednesday, November 1. They give Democrats an average lead of 11.6 percentage points, larger than any party has had going into an Election Day in memory. Even if you knock five points off of it, it's 6.6 percentage points, bigger than the advantage that Republicans had going into 1994.

Furthermore, there is no evidence of a trend in the generic ballot test. In chronological order of interviewing (using the midpoint of field dates), the margins were: 15 points (Time 11/1-3), 6 points (ABC/Wash Post), 4 points (Pew), 7 points (Gallup), 16 points (Newsweek), 20 points (CNN) and 13 points (Fox).

In individual races, some Republican pollsters see some movement, voters "coming home," in their direction, and/or some increase in intensity among GOP voters. All seem to think that it was too little, too late to significantly change the outcome. However, it might be enough to save a few candidates. None think it is a major change in the dynamics of races, and most remain somewhere between fairly and extremely pessimistic about tomorrow's outcome. http://www.cookpolitical.com/
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 07:40 am
There will be no information coming out between 1 and 5 pm EST.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:08 am
Good, interesting article!

Quote:
Western Democrats offer party a promising horizon
Hope to be part of image makeover

By Susan Milligan, Globe Staff | November 7, 2006

DENVER -- They wear cowboy boots and oppose most gun controls. They don't worry much about the spotted owl, but they do care about the pristine places where they can hunt and fish.

They are Western Democrats, and along with other segments of their party, they are confident that they will experience a strong power surge today that could win them the House, a majority of governorships, and at least several US Senate seats.

They are also hoping for something else: a chance to help their party remake its Northeastern, blue-state image into a broader, stronger force capable of governing the country for years to come.

"There's going to be a need for accommodation" of Western-style Democrats in the party, said New Mexico's governor, Bill Richardson .

With their libertarian bent, Western Democrats do not view the party's potential gains in Congress as an opportunity to enact a liberal wish list. On certain issues -- such as gun control and some environmental programs -- they have a very different view than do members of the party's Eastern base.

And while Democrats appear to be poised to expand their numbers in the Northeast, Westerners believe that they represent the party's future.

Indeed, demographic changes have shifted the political landscape in a region that was long considered rock-red Republican.

Western Democrats pointed to House races and statewide races in Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and even Wyoming that are unexpectedly competitive, given the GOP's traditional strength in the region.

President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney have been forced to make appearances for candidates in four Western states where GOP victories were considered almost assured earlier this year. Denver is a finalist to host the 2008 Democratic National Convention, and Western lawmakers believe the Mile-High City will win the competition if Colorado elects a Democratic governor today.

"Colorado is definitely moving from a red state to a short stop at purple, and it's conceivably going to be a blue state" after today's elections, said Floyd Ciruli , an independent pollster based in Denver. Demographic changes and frustration over the war in Iraq "are all contributing to what looks like a really historic transformation here."

But the region's increasing importance to the Democrats also presents a potential conflict, as Westerners demand a bigger say in a party that has long been led by Democrats on both the East and West coasts.

If the Democrats take back the House of Representatives after the voting today, the chamber will be led by Representative Nancy Pelosi, a liberal from California.

Prominent committee chairmanships would go to those favoring abortion rights, and to Easterners who favor gun control, like Representatives Charles Rangel of New York and Barney Frank of Massachusetts.

"They might as well be on another planet, compared to the Western Democrats," said James B. Weatherby , professor emeritus at Boise State University in Idaho.

Bill Ritter , the Democratic nominee for Colorado governor, said the mix of Easterners and Westerners is "a nice complement, actually."

But he said Democrats have been improving their reach in the West in large part because they have chosen candidates more suited to the region's values.

Ritter, for example, opposes abortion and believes law-abiding Coloradans should be able to carry concealed weapons for protection, while Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer keeps a box of bullets on his office desk.

"You cannot deny that what's happening in the West would be helpful if it happened on a broader basis for the entire party," Ritter said.

Danny Diaz , a spokesman for the Republican National Committee, acknowledged that the Western races were part of a "challenging political environment" for Republicans this year. But he predicted that GOP candidates would ultimately prevail.

"The reality is that they are Republican strongholds. There are more of us than there are of the opposition," Diaz said.

That has been true in past elections. But immigration, including the growth of the Hispanic population, has made the Western states less friendly to Republicans and more open to a certain kind of Democrat.

Idaho, for example, is home to what analysts call "housing refugees" from California and Washington state -- people who can't afford escalating home prices in their old neighborhoods.

" They want to retire somewhere that's beautiful and cheap," said Brandon Rottinghaus , a political science professor at the University of Idaho.

Many Western states are also seeing a steady growth of independents; Idaho's electorate is about 30 percent independent, and Colorado's independents now outnumber either Democrats or Republicans.

In addition, frustrations with the Iraq war and Bush are driving independents and even some Republicans to consider Democratic candidates. John Lindsay , a construction worker in Lakewood, Colo., said he would change his longtime Republican voting habits to vote for a Democrat, Ed Perlmutter, in a race for Congress.

"I want change. I'm sick of the way Republicans are running things. The rich are getting richer, and I'm making 10 dollars an hour," said Lindsay, whose modest apartment featured a Denver Broncos sticker and an American flag emblem in the window.

Perlmutter, who has been going from door to door in his sneakers and blue "Ed Perlmutter for Congress" T-shirt since January, said he hears similar comments from disaffected voters in the mixed-income district.

While social issues like gay marriage have buttressed the Republican base, moderates of both parties are increasingly concerned about the war, Perlmutter said.

But Democrats still must contend with claims that their party is too liberal on taxes, social issues, and national security.

Ritter, who has been leading in all gubernatorial polls, said he tells people that there's a new kind of Democrat running in the West.

The party's enhanced prospects "have to do with the kind of candidate the Democrats are putting up," he said. "It's a pragmatic Democrat."

Republicans maintain that they have a superior get-out-the-vote program in Western states.

In Colorado, however, Republicans are struggling, worried about losing the governorship and at least one House seat.

At a recent GOP rally attended by the governor, a sitting US senator, and numerous statewide GOP candidates, only about 50 people attended -- and a number of those were staff members.

"It's a tough year, if you have an 'R' beside your name," said Representative Bob Beauprez , the Lakewood Republican who is running against Ritter for governor of Colorado.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:19 am
Yes, very good article NIMH, there are a few points I would add/disagree with but essentially this is an accurate article re "The West"
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:01 am
If one assumes that a lot of the candidates in the West aren't self-selected, then I have a hunch that Dean will get some credit for this. Running the right kind of candidate for the district in question.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:04 pm
That this situation happened to an election official is kinda scary to me...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061107/ap_on_el_ge/voter_identification
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
snood wrote:
That this situation happened to an election official is kinda scary to me...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061107/ap_on_el_ge/voter_identification

Interesting because I just heard that the very same thing happened to the govenor of South Carolina.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:10 pm
snood, That kind of shet happens, because Americans just don't care. If they did, that kind of shet won't be happening any place in the US.

All we are required in California is to sign our name and rewerite our home address to vote. No picture ID is required, and that's the way it should be. Not all legal citizens of the US has a picture ID. Many do not drive or have a passport.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:10 pm
Not mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:12 pm
Heavy, heavy voter turnout. Higher than is usual for midterm elections.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:20 pm
The early voter turnout was record setting too, I hear.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:31 pm
Allow me this rant now so I dont have to bore you with it tonight:

Election night 'whenever - this complaint needs a thread

nimh wrote:
Its about TV "news" coverage of politics, and of election night in particular.

I read this introduction to an article about races to watch tonight, and when reading it I wanted to shout, YES YES YES F*CKIN HELL YES!

Here it is:

Quote:
Nov. 07, 2006 | In an ideal world, we would be blessed with the "Old-Fashioned Election Night Channel," which would merely show raw-vote totals from key races around the country. The only on-air commentary would come from veteran pols chomping on unlit cigars as they explain that they are still waiting for three blue-collar precincts in Pawtucket before they call the Rhode Island Senate race.

Instead what we will get from the networks Tuesday night is not Dan Rather but Damn Blather. Preening anchors, greenhorn correspondents and partisan gunslingers will offer an endless loop of prefabricated commentary, while meaningful numbers only will occasionally pop up by accident on the crawl. It will be like sitting through a long evening of movie trailers without ever being allowed to watch more than occasional snippets of the main feature.

<snip>

YES! Gawd-darnit.

It's outrageous, if you think about it, and .. Read my rant
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:46 pm
Want a laugh?

Quote:
Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, widely expected to lose badly today to Democratic challenger Bob Casey Jr., just told MSNBC's Tucker Carlson that the mainstream media has unfairly "pigeonholed" him as a conservative ideologue. "I thought you were a conservative ideologue," Carlson protested. "I don't consider myself a conservative ideologue," Santorum responded.

(link)
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:14 pm
hahahahahah.

nimh, we are watching the same stuff.

Question:

It is reported that NEVER has the House changed hands withoiut the Senate following suit.

So, we all know that the House will go Democratic, but everyone says that the Senate is iffy.
0 Replies