Enter the Presinator! President Schwarzenegger that is...

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 05:53 pm
By the way, I see your point about not changing the Constitution.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:00 pm
I don't know the history of the stipulation that a president has to be a natural born citizen. But Schwartznegger can't be retrofitted into that role sorry.

When I was a kid I was under the misapprehension that "Indian Giving" was a habit of the Indians not that it was about broken treaties and the white man's territorial imperative and inability to stick to an agreement.

Now I know. And Schwartznegger wants to steal from the Indians. It's almost as if he were from Mt. Vernon and not Austria.

If he would let the Indians keep their dough, and if he would sing Edelweiss for us in a tenor key, I might change my mind. But you need a two thirds majority in both houses to pass a constitutional amendment.

That's what you'd have to do. But he's winning on Family Feud among "likely voters." The poll here is the evidence (unless it changes).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:18 pm
FreeDuck, you are not dense at all. McCain is absolutely an American citizen; it's just that all some politicos need is a tiny loophole to cause a furor. Arnie wants to be president. Arnie is a Republican. Bush tried to get an amendment to ban same sex marriages. Arnie often refers to "girly" folks. Bi polar is correct in that it's a ruse to get a foot in the door, and that's why I am very sceptical about proposed amendments that haven't been scrutinized carefully.

Hey, Bill. Were you aware of the 27th amendment? I sent a letter to the editor of a paper carefully reminding him that the U.S. Constitution had 27 amendments. Know why? Cause I lost a damn bet with a colleague. We all have something to learn about this country, but more importantly, we must begin to learn about other countries, as well.

Hmmmm. Hope my message didn't become a filibuster...Heh! Heh!

Pad, you're quicker than I on the draw..
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:58 pm
Re: Enter the Presinator! President Schwarzenegger that is..
OCCOM BILL wrote:
This morning, Senator Orrin Hatch chaired a Judiciary Committee meeting to examine whether or not the Constitution should be amended to allow foreign-born citizens to be President of the United States.

What do you think?

so it's okay to toss away the "traditional american values" we keep getting hit over the head with if it leads to keepint he party in power.

so it's okay to be just a little hypocritical?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:06 pm
I have no problem with such an amendment. Like someone said, any citizen should be able to run for any office.

It would stink if Schwarzenegger would benefit from it, but that's no reason to reverse your principles.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:30 am
Letty wrote:
Hey, Bill. Were you aware of the 27th amendment?
No, I wasn't, thank you. I just read up on it and learned that they found away around it anyway... the bastids.

DTOM, the right backing it is no more hypocritical than the left opposing it Idea ... think it through.

Lissa Morgenthaler-Jones wrote:

Today is the 1-year anniversary of the California recall.

Yesterday, the Senate Judiciary Committee held its first hearing on amending the Constitution. These senators know --- the time has come. We'll post the full writeup later today, but there were two moments that were wonderful:

1) Congressman Barney Frank's had the best line of the hearing: "I trust the voters."
I haven't always been a fan of Barney, but clearly, he gets it.

2) After the hearing, a thoughtful reporter asked me, "Is it right to amend the Constitution for one man?"
My answer to her was, this isn't for one man.
It's for 12 million people.
And we're doing it because of Arnold.

For 215 years, immigrant citizens haven't been equal.
Because of Arnold, they will now have a chance.

Fun note: when I got back to San Francisco tonight, a guy in the boarding area eyed my "JoinArnold" jacket from the campaign last year. People stare at it a lot, so I asked him if he liked Arnold.
"Not especially," he said.
I was rearranging my computer bag and we continued talking for a minute. He told me his name is Marty Murphy and he's from Boston. I told him about the Judiciary Committee meeting today.
He listened thoughtfully as I described the tesimony. Then he said, "We adopted a son from Chile."
Americans adopt 25,000 foreign children every year, and the saddest testimony today was from a professor who'd adopted a foreign baby. His young son was playing with another little boy and found out the boy was born in America. "Then you can run for President!" his son said. He knows he can't.
I told Marty that story.
Marty hadn't been a fan of Arnold, but he's a father who loves his small son.
He shook my hand. "You've got me now."

Thank you, Marty.

Source= amendforarnold.com... lol
0 Replies