US never had enough troops in Iraq

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:29 am
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/110165/1/.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON : The former US governor of Iraq has admitted the United States "never" had enough ground troops in Iraq to establish firm control of the country, directly contradicting assertions by President George W. Bush and top Pentagon officials that the US military had what it needed to win the war.

The admission, made in a speech Monday, was certain to add fuel to already heated exchanges between President George W. Bush and his Democratic rival, John Kerry, who has repeatedly accused th president of failing to adequately plan for post-war Iraq.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 647 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:33 am
I also read that Bremmer piece, but you can't tell this administration anything, because they run their policies for ntitonal consumption and not on strategies and plans that makes any sense. Their blunders can only be seen clearly by nonAmericans who can observe this administrations actions by looking at all the problems in logical order.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
Yes, you read it and apparently weren't the only one to mis-understand what he was saying.

Quote:
In a statement late last night, Bremer stressed that he fully supports the administration's plan for training Iraqi security forces as well as its overall strategy for Iraq.

"I believe that we currently have sufficient troop levels in Iraq," he said in an e-mailed statement. He said all references in recent speeches to troop levels related to the situation when he arrived in Baghdad in May 2003 -- "and when I believed we needed either more coalition troops or Iraqi security forces to address the looting."

He said that, to address the problem, the occupation government developed a plan that is still in place under the new interim Iraqi government.

Bremer also said he believes winning the war in Iraq is an "integral part of fighting this war on terror." He added that he "strongly supports" President Bush's reelection.

link
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:28 am
I don't see how that's different than what I posted.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:28 am
It seems as if Rumsfeld and Bremer are having a problem with the fact that they make statements that, upon review, are damaging to the image the admin. wants to project. So they go back and say, 'well, I didn't really mean that.'

But in our sound-byte society, the damage is alllllready done...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:40 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't see how that's different than what I posted.

Pity.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
Piety?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 01:39 pm
The article indicates exactly what you've posted, McG. If you had read it, you would have seen that. The title of this thread is the title of that article, which is a quote from Bremmer. I think it's obvious that he's talking about the immediate aftermath of the invasion. That doesn't mean it isn't still important to talk about why it was so poorly planned.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 01:40 pm
one was always too many (US) troops in Iraq. I could vote for Kerry is he knew that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 01:44 pm
Right, we 'misunderstood' when he clearly stated that we made mistakes.

Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell him that we aren't allowed to point out the fact that we make mistakes, so he had to issue another one saying that his earlier statement.... was false? I couldn't quite figure out how he was trying to spin this one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 01:57 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
The article indicates exactly what you've posted, McG. If you had read it, you would have seen that. The title of this thread is the title of that article, which is a quote from Bremmer. I think it's obvious that he's talking about the immediate aftermath of the invasion. That doesn't mean it isn't still important to talk about why it was so poorly planned.

You are asking a blind man why he can't see? Spock would frown on that Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:28 pm
What does "never" mean to you?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
what does "farfromthinking" mean to you?
clue- it has nothing to do with volkswagon.
0 Replies