What do you think the dutch people are?

Francis

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 04:32 am
@tricky,
As any other lot, judging by your post..
SeattleKitty

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:57 pm
@Francis,
(this is an old post, but I want to gush about those Netherlanders!)
I think Dutch people are simply charming.
The men (I don't have any Dutch friends that are girls and actually would prefer some so I can have some girl-talk!), are friendly and great company. When I told them I wanted to learn Dutch, they were actually a bit shocked.

"Why would anyone want to learn Dutch???" (lol...such self-deprecating people they are!)

They were more than happy to help me with my homework. Good sense of humor, too. I do get the impression they are a bit frugal...so perhaps there is some truth to the term 'going Dutch'. Still, I like the level-headedness of the Dutch men I know--they like to think things through.

....and they're easy on the eye too! (and tall!) Wink

Their licorice, however, is pure poison. Tastes like windex.
0 Replies

Jamy

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 03:10 pm
The Dutch are indeed rude and arrogant as a nation. I know in the south of the Netherlands people tend to be more polite but around the area of Amsterdam or the area they call the Randstad, people tend to be extremely unfriendly and rude.

I for example was talking to a Dutchmen about the Dutch language and saying seeing that the Dutch had so many colonies around the world the Dutch language can actually expand if they broadcast some Dutch shows in former Dutch colonies.

The attitude I got was...." 23 million people in Europe speak Dutch and it's perfect no need to expand ... our language is perfect !!

I must say I have never had this sort of attitude from the Belgium Dutch speakers only the The Netherlands Dutch people. They seriously need to come donw to earth, as more and more people are starting to think they are arrogant and will just avoid the Netherlands!

nimh

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 05:00 pm
Looks like the Dutch are like a Rohrschach ...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 05:10 pm
@Jamy,
oooh, a whole one person was arrogant. must be true then.

i find the dutch are very much like people. simply terrible.
nimh

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:24 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

i find the dutch are very much like people.

except for me. i'm a bread.
fbaezer

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:26 pm
The Dutch are the only Europeans who play decent baseball.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:59 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

dagmaraka wrote:

i find the dutch are very much like people.

except for me. i'm a bread.

hi nimh. i made a dinner for my sister in law's birthday a few weeks ago. somehow, it evolved into a dutch theme meal. it was probably the smoked gouda that did it. check this out;

Quote:
Diner menu voor Saturday February 28, 2009
In de eerbewijs van de verjaardag Kathy

Drankjes en Voorafjes

Komkommer Slaatje

Gerookt Gouda Fondue

( met Het Brood, Cornishons, Ham en Appel )

Champagne

( En hier, wij zullen allemaal "gelukkige verjaardag" zingen naar kathy )

Melk Chocola Fondue

( met Aarbei, Almondinas, Kers en Oranje Gedeeltes )
en Fransen vanilleijs voor diegenen die willen dat het

Koffie en Apparitiffs

she would not allow us the devilish glee of singing the dreaded birthday song, though. Laughing
nimh

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:08 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Er is er een jarig, hoera hoera,
Dat kun je wel zien dat is zij!
Dat vinden wij allen zo prettig ja, ja,
En daarom zingen wij blij.

Hij leve lang hoera, hoera,
Hij leve lang hoera, hoera!

---

That's some funny Dutch, DTOM -- and even just after four years abroad, I'm noticing that I'm starting to speak Dutch like that too .. little bit by little bit losing my language. Hadnt expected that to start happening so soon!

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:10 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

Well, at least they're not as rude as the French.
Francis

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 02:23 am
@Ticomaya,
Geez, Tico!

Were I to judge the whole American people by the demeanor of some of them, I'd say even worse!

Obviously, I'm more thoughtful than that..
McTag

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:44 am
@Ticomaya,

We get our word boorish from the Boers, though.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 05:41 am
@McTag,
Kind of:

http://i42.tinypic.com/1zmm0wj.jpg
Source: "boor." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (19 Mar. 2009)
McTag

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,

We get our word boorish from our perception of the behaviour of the Boers, I should have perhaps have said.

But no doubt some of them were very nice.

0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:58 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

dagmaraka wrote:

Well, at least they're not as rude as the French.

that's a rude think to say ;-)
it is, actually.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 10:58 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
Geez, Tico!

Were I to judge the whole American people by the demeanor of some of them, I'd say even worse!

Obviously, I'm more thoughtful than that..

Present company excepted, of course, Francis. Wink
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 01:29 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

That's some funny Dutch, DTOM -- and even just after four years abroad, I'm noticing that I'm starting to speak Dutch like that too .. little bit by little bit losing my language. Hadnt expected that to start happening so soon!

Smile just goes to show ya, the results of an online translation app are no substitution for actually speaking a language.

the food came out much better. dude, everyone went nuts over the cucumber salad. when i told them what was in it, they seemed disappointed that it's so simple to make.

our friend from dusseldorf has said much the same to me about losing his language. i guess if ya don't use it, you lose it. to a lesser extent, i notice that as the years go by, i find it harder to fall back into the way of speaking i was raised with in the south when i go down home.

by the way, the few dutch people i've met, including a current friend, are very cool.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 05:15 pm

I think the Dutch invented fries with mayonnaise to go and that makes them all right in my book.
hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 05:33 pm
dropped by our dutch grocery store today - what did we buy ?
three different kinds of dutch licorice !
the dutch make the best licorice - and that's good enough for me !
(a nice piece of aged gouda is also great for breakfast and anytime of the day or night ) .
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 05:36 pm
@McTag,
I think of dutch women as cleaning oriented, from the police procedurals I've read, and think of the land as harboring, re a friend who escaped to there as a child. See women with pitchforks perhaps not being mellow. Which reminds me of the Night of Shooting Stars, but that was italian. See some keen engineering savvy, and some politics I can like sometimes.