What do you think the dutch people are?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:26 am
Can't you smoke pot and hash and all in the Netherlands and Amsterdam in particular? Maybe they're all just really stoned. Sounds like heaven to me.
0 Replies

Flemish Lion

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:37 am
We consider them to be rude and loud...hehe. But of course, that would be from a Flemish point of view.

And it has to be said there's a difference between Dutchmen from de Randstad (Amsterdam, Rotterdam etc.) and the rest of the country.
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:29 pm
I am Proud to be Dutch Speaker.....

No matter what you guys...saying..But dutch people are just wonderful....friendly and has a great attitude.I am not saying because i have been lived tehre many years..just because.....its always true..when native ppl talk about stuff thats been true...
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:32 pm
Quote:
We consider them to be rude and loud...hehe. But of course, that would be from a Flemish point of view.

And it has to be said there's a difference between Dutchmen from de Randstad (Amsterdam, Rotterdam etc.) and the rest of the country.

Sometime it should be true.....flemishe Lion.But ppl who lives in villages are really awesome compared with ppl in Randstad_Amsterdam etc. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:00 pm
Ajini@NL wrote:
I am Proud to be Dutch Speaker.....

No matter what you guys...saying..But dutch people are just wonderful....friendly and has a great attitude.I am not saying because i have been lived tehre many years..just because.....its always true..when native ppl talk about stuff thats been true...

I just returned from spending Easter break in the Netherlands. We stayed in Wassenaar, a small village on the coast and spent most of our days in Amsterdam. I loved it. I was impressed by many things, but two stick out:
1) the people, in my opinion were so healthy-looking and generally good-looking. I found the men particularly handsome - I'm a woman- but I also took note that the women were pretty. I think it has something to do with all that bicycle riding and the wind - I noticed a lot of beautiful rosy complexions.
2) Everyone was willing and able to communicate with us in fluent English. They put me (an educated American) to shame - as most people in all the other countries I've visited do - because I can only communicate fluently in English. (I can get by in somewhat broken French).
I'm an American living in England. I've been here seven months now and feel totally comfortable, but at first it was difficult for me to feel able to be myself. I think if you think of yourself as an outsider in a culture, you will act accordingly, and unconsciously communicate some defensiveness that might be construed as unfriendliness. When I allowed myself to just relax and be myself (not worrying about being thought of as a loud, arrogant, American) I began making friends. I don't know if Amethyst is still around on the forum or even still in the Netherlands, but just in case....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:12 pm
aidan wrote:
I just returned from spending Easter break in the Netherlands. We stayed in Wassenaar, a small village on the coast and spent most of our days in Amsterdam.

Wassenaar, wow. Thats pretty posh. Wassenaar ... its the quintessential place you assume rich people to be from! I'm from The Hague myself - the other side ;-)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 04:03 am
Nimh - Yeah, it was lovely and I got that posh feel alright. I don't live there though :wink: , just visited on vacation.
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:03 pm
It has been almost 5 years that i didn't visite The Netehrland yet.I miss the traditional dish....Patat with kroketten:lol:.Also the sour jelly candies called "dropjes" yummie Smile

But i will go as soon as i finished my Medical Legal Clrk
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 12:56 am
Ajini - Where are you living now?
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 12:10 pm
Google me Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 12:44 pm
You "ajini mam" Laughing
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:07 pm
Lol me from Ca
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
The Dutch, a Living Essay.

By Læknir Scrat

I've met several on a general basis.
They seem civilized.
They roll their cigarrettes by themselves. They do it with tobacco, too.
They speak English almost as good as Icelanders do.
They like the Britons and say they dislike the Germans (but prefer to hang out with the latter).
They share their (almost nonexistant) sense of humour with the Germans.
Dutch women develop their butts by cycling.

I've met 3 Dutch people on a more regular basis (2 live, 1 virtual; 2 men, 1 woman). If they are a sample:

Dutch women like lounge music.
Dutch women become more beautiful with age.
Dutch women don't know when they're provoking a drunkard, and the trouble it may cause to their male companions.
Dutch women sleep with you in the same bed, but do not want to make love to you.
Dutch women sleep with your friend on the very same bed they slept with you, and they do make love with him.

50% of Dutch men are Catholic seminarists turned accountants turned cartoonists.
The other half of Dutch men dye their hair quite often.
50% of Dutch men are controlled by their Icelandic wives.
The other half of Dutch men know a lot about international politics and are constantly providing stats.
50% of Dutch men are there to hug you when you learn your father died.
The other half of Dutch men are here to remind you about the importance of reasoning.
50% of Dutch men have no trouble learning Icelandic -except they confuse all the genders when they get angry.
The other half of Dutch men can discuss an issue on A2K endlessly, even on Saturday nights, when they're supposed to be partying.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:12 pm
Fine essay, Laknir Scrat!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:31 pm
Interesting - sounds like you've done your research. Are you Icelandic by chance?
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:04 pm
aidan wrote:
Are you Icelandic by chance?

Chances to be Icelandic are always dim.

But yes.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:13 pm
That's interesting as well. You're the first person from Iceland I've ever met. I also find your take on the whole internet persona interesting. It strikes me that way as well.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:16 pm
Læknir Scrat -

You are one of the 260.000!

And a friend of mine is a niece of Olafur Ragnar GRIMSSON!
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:32 pm
Francis, good for her, but don't expect me to salute the flag.

I studied with Vigdis Finbogadóttir (which, again, tells tons about the little town/island/Ísland that became a nation because of it's language).

Hell. It's a country in which the head librarian lady is also the school drama and national language teacher, can become President and became President.

But let's go back to the Dutch. Shall we?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 01:01 am
Læknir Scrat - You just expressed what I meant by "You are one of the 260.000".

You are so few people that you might know one another.

Back to the Dutch!
0 Replies