I need to interview someone of a different culture.

Manda19

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 04:47 pm
I need to interview someone of a different culture. I'm a white American girl from Kentucky. I am taking a class where I have to learn about other cultures. I have 8 questions that need to be answered.

1. Do you think that peer pressure has much to do with drug use in your culture?

2. What other factors do you think influence drug use in your culture?

3. How does your culture deal with suicide?

4. In the U.S, it is common for couples between the ages of 20-40 to cohabitate -- live together in a sexual relationship without being married. How is this viewed in your culture?

5. How does your culture deal with puberty -- the physical changes boys and girls go through during adolescence?

6. How does your culture view eating disorders?

7. What is the attitude toward gay and lesbian individuals in your culture?

8. Do parents in your culture usually discuss the use of illegal drugs with their children?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,460 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 09:52 pm
@Manda19,
I've lived in and currently live in a different culture (Latin America) so I'll respond to what I observe in their culture.

1) yes, everywhere. And for pretty much everything too. We all think we are independent minds (partly because we know it is popular to portray oneself that way, ironically).

2) Costa Rica, where I currently am, has been becoming a drug corridor for traffic heading to the US. This will affect availability. Supply is the other half of demand and is a big factor in prevalence of drug use.

3) Costa Rica is very Catholic and many believe that it is a "sin".

4) Costa Rica is more sexually conservative but it's not all that outrageous (except to the very religious). But generally because people live with their parents till they marry it is less common.

5) I don't know that I know of a meaningful difference.

6) They are less prevalent, though obesity is becoming more common as US fast food franchises have begun doing lots of business here.

7) Much more homophobic but like most of the Latin world the prejudices are more common but also less extreme. i.e. you see much more racism and homophobia in most Latin American countries but not as much violence etc, their racial histories are generally more systemic discrimination (that persists till today) but less lynchings and the like.

8) I don't know if they do so to a different degree but there is far less drug use in Costa Rica than in the US among children.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 10:01 am
@Manda19,
I'm from Canada. We're not that different culturally, but I'll let you decide if we're different enough. One thing we don't talk a lot about is religion. It's either not a big deal or none of our business.

1. Do you think that peer pressure has much to do with drug use in your culture?
Yes and no. I think people use drug for different reasons. The introduction and continued use or abuse of drugs, whether it be alcohol, legal drugs or otherwise happens for different reasons.
Cigarettes are becoming less and less acceptable. You can't smoke in any business or public place, some housing or near any public doorway.
Here it's socially acceptable to drink, and on many occasions, a badge of honour to get completely **** faced at times - binge drinking. We like to brag of our drinking prowess - as many northern cultures do. But in most circles it's not ok to be an alcoholic. So closet drinking occurs. Drunk driving is still a problem even though most of our peers would never encourage it.
It's becoming more and more acceptable to smoke or use marijuana, it's still illegal - but it will be legal by 2017.
Pharmaceuticals are a huge lead in to further drug use, and most of these are not encouraged by anyone unless it's an idiot doctor, a drug dealer or other poor unfortunates that have been dragged under by addiction.

2. What other factors do you think influence drug use in your culture?
Our medical system, our mental health system, our national identity - watch any beer commercial, pop culture - much of it American influenced, human nature - we seek out pleasure, powerful synthetic drugs introduced with little or no study,

3. How does your culture deal with suicide?
Depends on your religion, I guess, but for most Canadians - even among Catholics, the person isn't regarded as a sinner. I know, back in the day, suicide victims were never buried in the main graveyard, but that doesn't happen here, they are treated as anybody else when they die. Suicide is getting more attention, mental health issues are starting to get more funding, families get support from friends and family, often their employers or school will offer counseling, but it still a difficult topic to broach for a lot of people or communities suffering the consequences.

4. In the U.S, it is common for couples between the ages of 20-40 to cohabitate -- live together in a sexual relationship without being married. How is this viewed in your culture?
The government gets their taxes and you can have anyone you want listed as a beneficiary, so unless you're uber religious or first generation Canadian ( your family is from another culture where it's a no-no.) then it's no big deal. Nobody cares. Marriage while still popular, is becoming less and less the norm.

5. How does your culture deal with puberty -- the physical changes boys and girls go through during adolescence?
Pretty much the same as the US. I think? I'm not sure what you're asking here.
6. How does your culture view eating disorders?
Again, more funding and studies have been introduced to mental health programs etc. People are more informed too, and know what to look for, and how to get a person help.
7. What is the attitude toward gay and lesbian individuals in your culture?
Gay marriage was legalized in 2005. (LGBT) people have been allowed to serve openly in the military since 1992. It's illegal to discriminate against members of the community, but there are still some rednecks around - their numbers are dwindling. Gay bashing does occur, but rarely. Most people are cool with it all.
8. Do parents in your culture usually discuss the use of illegal drugs with their children?
Yes, the smart ones do. Look, kids are going to experiment with all kinds of stuff, it's better they be informed upfront and know what they are getting themselves into. And to know that if they do get themselves involved, what to do and what not to do.
[/quote]
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 10:08 am
@Manda19,
Is there really no one you can talk to face to face who is from a different culture?

If you want to open your mind (which I suspect is the point of the class) you need to have a real conversation with a real person... not a typed conversation with random strangers.

Why don't you find a Hispanic Immigrant, or a Muslim, or a Sikh to talk to in real life? That will give you a chance to see a person from another culture as a human being.

Otherwise you are just wasting your time.

chai2

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 10:56 am
@maxdancona,
How do you know she's not already doing that, and is trying to use as many venues as possible to get as much data as possible?

Talking to one person from one other culture wouldn't result in much useful information.

To the OP. Sorry I can't respond as I'm an American, but good luck!
maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 11:26 am
@chai2,
Nonsense Chai.

Talking face to face to a person from another culture would result in a meaningful educational experience. Random queries on public internet forums are not data. She is not even looking for a dialog where two people interact, What she is doing is educationally useless.

I would ask that she talk to her teacher if she has any doubts about this.

0 Replies