interview questions?

njbenda

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 10:08 am
I'm completely new to journalism, and recently joined the magazine class at my college. My topic for my main story is on metal music vocals, so I decided to reach out to a local band's vocalist and interview her. She agreed to meet at their next show, at a bar. I already know a little bit about them, from youtube videos; they are popular in their area. My question is- what kind of questions do I form? Based on my knowledge already? Or should I try to ask some really basic questions for my story? I feel like I shouldn't ask her how she started if there is already another source that explains it- don't journalists have to do their research first to avoid asking the same questions? I'm just confused and nervous.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,045 • Replies: 1
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:34 pm
@njbenda,
I doubt this woman will care too much if you repeat some questions she's heard before. You can frame it as confirmation if you prefer, e. g. "I understand that the band is from Detroit and you're from Ottawa. Is my information correct?" And then if she says yes (or no, or anything, really), follow up. "So, I bet you've got an interesting story about how everyone met. Care to share it?"

Answers should lead to more questions. Have your questions with you, written down so you don't forget anything.

You're going to be fine.
0 Replies