How will Hillary handle losing the election?

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 05:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why did anyone vote for Trump aside from Hillary hatred?

I do get the "outsider" anti-DC appeal, but again--- that's against something, not for it.

He made fun of so many types of people. He criticized a war hero for being captured. He was a terrible candidate. I really have a difficult time understanding how anyone could vote for him unless the vote was a calculated swipe against his opponent.

If you can explain, please do.

I take his victory as a big **** You to the establishment.
Brand X

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 05:27 am
Have we not learned anything here? How out of touch can we be? A family member of a past president should not be promoted to run for president. The people do not want an oligarchy. We don't need another Obama any more than we needed another Bush or Clinton. The mere fact that the connections exist is enough to raise the specter of impropriety and conflict of interest. Hillary was a turn off if for no other reason.

Don't get me wrong, Trump's business connections put him in a very similar position. I have no idea how you can lead a country and also run a major corporation without endless conflicts of interest, but I guess we'll see how that goes.
Lash

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 06:44 am
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/clinton-loss-women-politics/index.html

Women just didn't like her.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 06:47 am
A lot of women don't like her...plus many many women prefer men as bosses and presidents in any case.
Lash

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 07:14 am
@Brand X,
Well, I think preferring a man in general is completely unsupportable, but people do as they will with their votes.

She was definitely the wrong woman, and I'm glad the sisterhood isn't marred historically by her name appearing as the first female president.

Brand X

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 07:19 am
@Lash,
But but....she cared for children.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 07:24 am
@Lash,
I voted for Trump because he is not a career politician, has some business acumen, will bring in conservative SC judges, will put a halt (hopefully) to illegal immigration and isn't Hillary. I've made no secret of my opinion on Mrs. Clinton but my vote was more FOR Trump and less against Clinton.
Lash

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 07:42 am
@McGentrix,
Thanks.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 11:30 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Well, I think preferring a man in general is completely unsupportable, but people do as they will with their votes.

She was definitely the wrong woman, and I'm glad the sisterhood isn't marred historically by her name appearing as the first female president.

I have no preference for male vs female when it comes to being President, I just didn't want Hillary to be the first woman President. There are far better women to hold the office than her.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 12:35 pm
@Brand X,
Quote:
plus many many women prefer men as bosses and presidents in any case

Seriously?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 12:06 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Why did anyone vote for Trump aside from Hillary hatred?

The Democrats were on the verge of eviscerating the Second Amendment. Trump's election saved our freedom.
giujohn

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 09:33 am
@oralloy,
You got that right.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 10:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Your gut take is not data though, I think that's the center of our disagreement. What quantifiable data did you use?

It was more a result of logic than data. But I think data shows that presidents usually make their big legislative achievements at the beginning of each term. And I think that data shows that when a president doesn't achieve much, the voters want to switch which party controls the White House.

Robert Gentel wrote:
That's another outlandish prediction based on no data but wishful thinking.

I think Hugo Chavez is evidence that someone who panders to the working class at the expense of their country can sweep to power on the backs of working class loyalty.

Let's check back 20 years from now and see if I was right.

Robert Gentel wrote:
This is not supported by data.

Data shows that Mr. Obama has not achieved any major legislation in the past six years.

Data shows that the voters had a strong urge to swap which party controls the White House.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Obama's approval rating is high.

The voters still wanted to change which party controlled the White House.

Robert Gentel wrote:
And not getting things done had little to do with guns and everything to do with hyper-partisanship.

That is incorrect. The early part of a president's term is a period when he can push legislation through congress. Had Mr. Obama used the beginning of his second term to push useful legislation, there are decent odds that he could have got something passed. But instead he pointlessly wasted the entire beginning of his second term attacking the NRA.

The alleged hyper partisanship is a myth that the Democrats push to excuse Mr. Obama's failings. The Republicans reached out to him after 2010 and tried to compromise. It ultimately failed because Mr. Obama went along with his hardliners and made demands that collapsed the negotiations.

And even after the 2013 gun control debacle, Mr. Obama had an opportunity to work with moderate Republicans on immigration reform. Again he ruined it by going with his extremists instead of moderates.

Robert Gentel wrote:
That hyper-partisan gridlock is certainly a factor in this election but there is no data you can point to that ties it to gun control.

But I can. I can point to the entire beginning of his second term, which was the time when he had a chance to pass big legislation, being pointlessly wasted in attacks against the NRA.

There is no way to know the outcome if he had instead pushed for useful legislation, but if the energy that he used attacking the NRA had instead been used to try to pass useful legislation, his second term very likely would have been much more successful.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Both terms were, other than the initial push to get the ACA passed.

There were other things achieved at the beginning of his first term. Bank bailout. Auto industry bailout. Economic stimulus package.

If he had tried to achieve something useful at the beginning of his second term, it is impossible to know how it would have turned out, but there are reasonable odds that he would have had more achievements. Maybe climate change legislation.

Robert Gentel wrote:
There is no credible data making this a gun issue, you simply see all things through that lens.

Data shows that the entire early period of his second term, which was when he had a big chance of achieving legislation, was devoted entirely to attacking the NRA.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Not desire for Trump, per-se. Desire to believe that enough Americans are so obsessed with guns that they would accept a candidate that they think would cause nuclear war just because of that single issue.

It has nothing to do with obsession with guns. It has to do with pointless waste of political capital leading to a lack of achievements.

Robert Gentel wrote:
So did plenty of models that used literal coin flips to predict things (there are thousands that have predicted the last 5 presidents, simply because there are enough attempts that some will succeed). My point is that even when your prediction is right that does not validate the reasoning behind it. Plenty of predictions are serendipitously right without the underlying reasoning making any sense.

I'm not making thousands of variant predictions regarding these five presidential elections. I am making one single prediction that all five elections will go to the Republicans.

Let's check back 20 years from now and see if my single prediction was right.

Robert Gentel wrote:
I don't.

How do you think Trump will react when China pushes their claim to all of the international waters of the South China Sea?

Do you really think he has the wisdom to stay out of a shooting war with China?

Robert Gentel wrote:
But I do find it fascinating that you vote for someone that you think might cause nuclear war but that you think is better on gun rights (even when gun rights are not in any kind of real threat).

America's gun rights were under perilous threat. Hillary would have stacked the Supreme Court with justices who would have maliciously allowed the Second Amendment to be wantonly violated.

And she would have continued those horrible executive orders that put countless law-abiding people on the list of people prohibited from buying guns just because they are disabled. What would have been next, banning people because they wear glasses? Banning people with certain hair colors?

Trump will stack the Supreme Court with justices who will enforce the Second Amendment. And those horrendous executive orders will be overturned on his first day in office.

I'm not so sure I would say that Trump will "cause" a nuclear war. More that he will lack the wisdom to avoid it.

Robert Gentel wrote:
They don't sound enjoyable. But hey, the fear of gun control must be pretty strong with you to prefer this fear (nuclear holocaust to maybe a more stringent background check). I find that nearly pathologically irrational. There are enough of you guys to ensure that gun rights are not going to be meaningfully threatened any time soon.

That more stringent background check was maliciously blocking law abiding people who were not supposed to be blocked.

We do have the power to prevent the federal government from passing more gun bans. But we don't have the power to stop an executive order, and we don't have the power to stop bad judges from being put on the courts.
oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 01:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Will Democrats adopt the Republican strategy of blocking everything the new president does? Including keeping the Supreme Court from adding new justices?

It will be a small matter for Republican senators to eliminate the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 01:11 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
It was more a result of logic than data.

"Logic" without data is just your gut. That's the whole point, there was no data to support this. Just your gut.

Quote:
I think Hugo Chavez is evidence that someone who panders to the working class at the expense of their country can sweep to power on the backs of working class loyalty.

There is definitely going to be more populism in America's political future but to think that it will uniformly benefit Republicans is wishful thinking, Bernie was a populist candidate as well and both sides can play that game.

Quote:
Data shows that Mr. Obama has not achieved any major legislation in the past six years.

Data shows his popularity ranking is high, so the public is not faulting him for this more than they are congress.

Quote:
Data shows that the voters had a strong urge to swap which party controls the White House.

This is simply untrue, data did NOT show this. There was NO scientific data available that lent itself to this conclusion. The data was wrong.

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
That hyper-partisan gridlock is certainly a factor in this election but there is no data you can point to that ties it to gun control.

But I can. I can point to the entire beginning of his second term, which was the time when he had a chance to pass big legislation, being pointlessly wasted in attacks against the NRA.

This is not "data" this is your opinion and a conclusion that is, as I keep pointing out, not actually supported by any data.

Quote:
There were other things achieved at the beginning of his first term. Bank bailout. Auto industry bailout. Economic stimulus package.

Those were bi-partisan goals and thusly the political capital used on them was mitigated.

Quote:
Data shows that the entire early period of his second term, which was when he had a big chance of achieving legislation, was devoted entirely to attacking the NRA.

Data does not show anything about your conclusion, that this single fact would cost Democrats the election. The sky is blue therefore the Democrats will lose, "look, the sky being blue is data!"

Quote:
I'm not making thousands of variant predictions regarding these five presidential elections. I am making one single prediction that all five elections will go to the Republicans.

You missed the statistical point, which is that plenty of brainless predictions are right and that you have done nothing to separate yours from theirs and being right doesn't make it make sense. Plenty of people pull a Homer and are serendipitously right.

Quote:
Let's check back 20 years from now and see if my single prediction was right.

I'm not going to care about this discussion that long.

Quote:
How do you think Trump will react when China pushes their claim to all of the international waters of the South China Sea?

The same way we currently do for the most part.

Quote:
Do you really think he has the wisdom to stay out of a shooting war with China?

I think the people around him do. I think he is reckless and stupid but there are going to be enough people around him that are not to mitigate any concern I have about a shooting war with China.

Quote:
America's gun rights were under perilous threat. Hillary would have stacked the Supreme Court with justices who would have maliciously allowed the Second Amendment to be wantonly violated.

I disagree with the threat assessment but am more incredulous about your preference for gun rights vs nuclear war (which I don't see any reason to fear personally but that you do). I think caring more about guns than nuclear war is supremely silly.

Quote:
I'm not so sure I would say that Trump will "cause" a nuclear war. More that he will lack the wisdom to avoid it.

I'm not worried about it, just fascinated that your single-issue gun fascination trumps it all.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 05:06 pm
@McGentrix,
Good for you, (seriously) but I will admit that though I vowed I would not vote for him and fully intended to vote for Johnson while I stood in line, I changed my mind in the voting booth and voted Trump because I realized I could not live with myself if she became president and I had not done even so small a thing to defeat her.

Krumple

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 05:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Good for you, (seriously) but I will admit that though I vowed I would not vote for him and fully intended to vote for Johnson while I stood in line, I changed my mind in the voting booth and voted Trump because I realized I could not live with myself if she became president and I had not done even so small a thing to defeat her.

Wow thats pretty moving you had a moral dilemma while in line.

A few days before the election my stomach was turning, I didnt want to hear Clinton won. But now its sinking in that DT is in the exclusive club of presidents, how the hell did this happen?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 05:25 pm
@Krumple,
Good question.

I think the answer is that unlike what Paul Ryan said, he wasn't the only one who heard the voices of millions, he was the only one who listened to them.

Just about everyone else heard them but chose to ignore, mock, or denigrate them.

I do wish it was someone else who listened and who drew the votes, but he's the one who won.

I am still jubilant over Clinton's defeat and I'll worry about what kind of president he makes next year. He doesn't even have the total support of the GOP so it's pretty absurd to bemoan his election as the second coming of Adolph Hitler.
Krumple

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 05:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Good question.

I think the answer is that unlike what Paul Ryan said, he wasn't the only one who heard the voices of millions, he was the only one who listened to them.

Just about everyone else heard them but chose to ignore, mock, or denigrate them.

I do wish it was someone else who listened and who drew the votes, but he's the one who won.

I am still jubilant over Clinton's defeat and I'll worry about what kind of president he makes next year. He doesn't even have the total support of the GOP so it's pretty absurd to bemoan his election as the second coming of Adolph Hitler.

Im pretty sure I would have vomited had Hillary won. So I can sympathize with those who feel the same distaste for Trump.

I actually honestly have renewed faith in our system that a guy won without begging for money. Without kissing corporate asses. Without even full support of his party.

I see him as the rebel that won even if he is a lousy business man. It was a middle finger to politics.

He proved a few things even if he is a slimeball. For that Im renewed.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 06:10 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Im pretty sure I would have vomited had Hillary won. So I can sympathize with those who feel the same distaste for Trump.

So can I. I almost vomited when Obama won twice and I would have rolled up in bed in a fetal position if Clinton had won.

I don't expect anyone who voted for HRC to be anything other than mad and disappointed. I know how it feels and it sucks, but he won fair and square and demonstrations in the street are temper tantrums and if violent, criminal. Threats to "shut down" his inaugeration are disgusting and if they materialize should be met with strong police force. Mob rule for any political position is just wrong.

0 Replies