Bush Supporters PLEASE Explain THIS!

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:02 pm
I find this amazing. Following a MAJOR whoopin' on Thursday night, this is the GOP plan? And they admit to it? Do republican voters / Bush supporters not see that they are being hosed? Taken as fools? The current administration is actually admitting to using fear, Sept. 11 and relying on the stupidity of the populace.

Democratic and GOP strategists said both candidates face new challenges as a result of the first debate.

* For Bush, the immediate objective is to wipe away impressions of that debate, in which he appeared annoyed and irritated by Kerry's criticism. (Don't beleive what you saw)

*...just as significant may be how well he passes the test of explaining why he believes his policies in Iraq are working at a time when conditions on the ground suggest that the insurgency is stronger than ever. (Don't Believe the media. Believe me.)

*The longer the focus is on Bush's record, these strategists said, the more trouble he may have. (Damn! That's pretty self explanatory. I don't think I need to add anything here!)

Republicans said Bush

* must avoid debating Kerry on the details of micromanaging foreign policy (Keep It Simple, Stupid.)

* and return to statements of principle with which most voters agree, from the threat of Saddam Hussein to the need to stay in Iraq. (Principle, a nice generic term that doesn't mean sh!t, but they won't get that!)

*... said one GOP strategist, Bush needs to keep reminding voters about Sept. 11, 2001, and the impact of the terrorist attacks on the country. (Fear, Fear, Fear. Keep 'em afraid and they won't realize what's really happening.)

Source

If you are a Bush supporter, please explain to me how this gives you confidence in his leadership and trustworthiness. Please tell me how this is not demeaning to you as a voter.

All others, feel free to comment as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,987 • Replies: 98
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:13 pm
I would love to comment on this, but it would definitely be something angry and sarcastic, and I'd rather hear some rational Bush supporters state their case about this before I jump in.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:16 pm
Simple,

Bush has focused on the essential points - (1) confronting Islamist terrorism and supporting the development of modern secular (or at least tolerant) governments in the Moslem states most in need of it, and (2) the productivity of the U.S. economy.

Kerry is merely a talented opportunist circling about and looking for vulnerabilities. He has no detectable political values, and a very questionable character. The various remedies he so skillfully has put out all amount to various versions of belling Aesop's proverbial cat. His arguments appeal principally to visceral opponents of Bush and those who are easily taken in by sophistry and nice words. Which are you?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 12:21 pm
Sounds like you shudda sounded off, Kicky. Nothing rational coming from the other side.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:07 pm
Re: Bush Supporters PLEASE Explain THIS!
squinney wrote:
I find this amazing. Following a MAJOR whoopin' on Thursday night, this is the GOP plan? And they admit to it? Do republican voters / Bush supporters not see that they are being hosed? Taken as fools? The current administration is actually admitting to using fear, Sept. 11 and relying on the stupidity of the populace.

Democratic and GOP strategists said both candidates face new challenges as a result of the first debate.

* For Bush, the immediate objective is to wipe away impressions of that debate, in which he appeared annoyed and irritated by Kerry's criticism. (Don't beleive what you saw)

*...just as significant may be how well he passes the test of explaining why he believes his policies in Iraq are working at a time when conditions on the ground suggest that the insurgency is stronger than ever. (Don't Believe the media. Believe me.)

*The longer the focus is on Bush's record, these strategists said, the more trouble he may have. (Damn! That's pretty self explanatory. I don't think I need to add anything here!)

Republicans said Bush

* must avoid debating Kerry on the details of micromanaging foreign policy (Keep It Simple, Stupid.)

* and return to statements of principle with which most voters agree, from the threat of Saddam Hussein to the need to stay in Iraq. (Principle, a nice generic term that doesn't mean sh!t, but they won't get that!)

*... said one GOP strategist, Bush needs to keep reminding voters about Sept. 11, 2001, and the impact of the terrorist attacks on the country. (Fear, Fear, Fear. Keep 'em afraid and they won't realize what's really happening.)

Source

If you are a Bush supporter, please explain to me how this gives you confidence in his leadership and trustworthiness. Please tell me how this is not demeaning to you as a voter.

All others, feel free to comment as well.

First let me acknowledge that it in his infinite wisdom and smugness Frank is apt to dismiss the following out of hand.

Secondly, whatever consultants, strategists and any other would-be mavens might suggest for the next debate, it has nothing to do with the leadership and trustworthiness of Bush. Are you suggesting that whatever strategies are pitched by James Carville, they define John Kerry?

1) One would hope that in the next debate Bush wipes away all negative impressions created by his first dismal performance. I see no problem with this. Admittedly, Kerry made far fewer negative impressions than Bush, but would you not advise him to try and address whatever ones he did make through the next debate?

2) Don't you want to hear him explain how he can believe his policies are working even though conditions on the ground suggest otherwise, or do you prefer to believe it is a disaster there? Let's assume, for argument's sake, that he is able to do so to your satisfaction. Wouldn't that make you feel better about the situation our soldiers are in?

3) I would also advise Bush not to focus on his record to the exclusion of discussing what he plans for the future. If these folks are suggesting that he should avoid discussing his record, they are wrong. Bush will not take such advice, nor should he. If he did, then yes I would be disappointed.

4) He should avoid debating Kerry on any points of micromanagement. First of all because he can't compete with Kerry in terms of micromanagement, and secondly because micromanagement is not appealing to the voters. Here again, I see no problem with this advice. Should they be advising him to get mired down in a discussion of banal minutia?

5) So he shouldn't return to statements of principle with which most voters agree? Or is it that you don't believe that the threat of Saddam or the need to stay in Iraq are statements of principle? Because if you don't then you also have a problem with John Kerry since he has, on numerous occassions, detailed the threat of Saddam Hussein, and just the other night expounded on how he believes it is important to stay in Iraq. Or is it that you don't believe that the voters agree with these statements of principle? The polls suggest otherwise.

6) It is a good idea to remind voters of 9/11. It did happen you know and it did change the world for America. We shouldn't act as if it never happened or could never happen again. If and when our resolve in the War on Terror weakens, then we should be reminded of 9/11. In addition, generally speaking, most Americans feel Bush did a good job in leading the US during those awful days. Why wouldn't someone running for president want to remind us of that?

What is amazing is how your bias has so drastically twisted what these folks have said. Anything can be spun, but you need to really go through some fancy gyrations to spin these comments in the way that you have.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:09 pm
I can't figure it out. Bush's lies are right in front of our faces and It's beyond me why so many people don't see it. I'm constantly shaking my head on this one.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:18 pm
Montana wrote:
I can't figure it out. Bush's lies are right in front of our faces and It's beyond me why so many people don't see it. I'm constantly shaking my head on this one.

Maybe if you stopped shaking your head you might think straighter.

Where in any of this is there a Bush statement, let alone a Bush lie?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:19 pm
So Bush should use primary colors like a child in kindergarten?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:29 pm
I promised myself I'd stay out of the political threads and stop wasting my breath, so I'm throwing myself out of here.

You comin Edgar ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:34 pm
Before I go, I'd just like to say, Bush lied about Saddam being involved in 9/11. Bush also lied about the WMD's. I could go on and on, but as I said before, "I don't particularly like wasting my breath".

Bye now.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:36 pm
Thanks for dropping by, Montana. You are always welcome.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:38 pm
I think it would have been easier for me to say that pretty much every time I see Bush open his mouth, he's lying!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:39 pm
Thanks Squinney :-)

See you around town ;-) Happy trails :-D
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
Interesting isn't it that attempts at explanation (whether good or inadequate in your view is another matter) all fall on one side in this thread, while personal attacks and attempts at insults all fall on the other.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:51 pm
Which personal attacks are you referring to?
0 Replies

rameses594

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:52 pm
I am a supporter of President Bush, I truly believe he is the best thing for the United States. He managed to over come a recession, the September 11th attacks, and has led a campaign to keep us safe. Now to comment on your question, I would like to see the source of where you got that from because I am very active in GOP politics and read many articles and have not come across that...I'll keep looking. As far as the comment about reminding the public about September 11th, I think that, that is an appropriate topic for the President to discuss. It is not about creating fear in the minds of the American people, it was a major point of this presidency, to not mention it would be a bigger mistake.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:54 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
So Bush should use primary colors like a child in kindergarten?

Yes, if the alternative is to use so many colors simultaneously that the end result is a dull brown.

Surely you've heard the expression "Less is more?"

Would you seriously advise Kerry to launch into the detail of micromanagement?

Try and respond to what is written rather than what you would like to see.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:54 pm
You are free to support Bush and welcome. I am free to call him as I see him like wise. I consider him the worst president in my personal memory of 62 years.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:55 pm
Montana wrote:
I promised myself I'd stay out of the political threads and stop wasting my breath, so I'm throwing myself out of here.

You comin Edgar ;-)

Please keep your promise.
0 Replies

rameses594

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:57 pm
I don't disagree that you are free to call him whatever you want to. I just wanted to through in my two cents.
0 Replies