Five Stages of Bush defeat.

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:21 pm
We are about to witness the rapid disillusionment of our republican friends. I urge each A2K liberal to be understanding as this will undoubtably be a difficult time for many of our conservative members.

Over the next several weeks, our conservative friends will be experience the loss of a well-constructed fantasy world. They have been so sure they are on the right side of a world with stark definition of right and wrong.

As their leader, who they have ascribed a divine mantel of righteous might is not only defeated, but shown to be a rather impotent buffoon, they will lose this fantasy and its security.

This loss of indentity is a real loss that will lead to legitimate feelings of grief.

As you see the republican members of our community exhibit these behaviors, please be understanding. The biting anger, vitriolic attacks and unbelievable claims are really just natural psychological human responses to a inevitable tragedy.

I offer the work of Dr. Kubler-Ross who developed the "five stages" of grief.

Stage One
Denial, shock, and disbelief. Feeling of numbness. The inability to accept what has happened and insistence that no change has taken place.

Stage Two
Anger that the situation could occur, possibly directed to others.

Stage Three
Beginning to accept the reality of the situation, but trying to 'bargain' for a bit more time , whether through expressions of religious belief or increased compliance with conservative punditry.

Stage Four
Depression, characterized be feelings of hopelessness and despair about what has already been lost and what else will be lost.

Stage Five
Acceptance of the loss, and quiet discussions of defeat with closest friends and relatives. An emotional reprieve from negative emotions. Feelings of peaceful resignation about one's own fate. Lack of interest in, and withdrawal from, the everyday affairs of life, such as political affairs, social events, news stories, and so on.

-----------------

Several A2K members are clearly in stage one.

We have seen recent posts about how Bush "looked good" in the debate, and how he won "on substance". Many are also talking about the war going well.

We are starting to see signs of step two -- anger.

I expect to see very religious posts in a few weeks (stage 3) followed by expressions of negative feelings of hopelessness (stage 4).

Let's be understanding.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,368 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:27 pm
Well, this is exciting! I am glad that you, ebrown, are staying positive about the coming election. We seem to have lost some of our optimism out there in the land of the liberals (or at least, the land of no more Bush).

I will do what I can to be a gracious winner.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:33 pm
What are you guys going to do when Kerry gets totally stomped in the election?
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:34 pm
I'd put my bets on your portion of the table e brown.

Good stuff!
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:35 pm
Pretty soon no more Bush!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:58 pm
Quote, "What are you guys going to do when Kerry gets totally stomped in the election?" It seems some people are already in denial with the latest polls showing Kerry ahead. When they use the word "stomped," it goes to show how insecure and unstable they are, because they should know by now how close the polls have been during the past several weeks. No president won reelection when they scored less than 50 percent. None, nada, zero. You can take that to the bank.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 07:06 pm
You got any anger you need to express gunga?

Let it out. We will understand.

Holding it all in will just give you an ulcer.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 07:06 pm
I will be happy when Bush himself goes through the "five stages" of grief.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:06 pm
Re: Five Stages of Bush defeat.
Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:09 pm
gungasnake wrote:
What are you guys going to do when Kerry gets totally stomped in the election?

Oh come now, 'totally stomped'? Even if he does lose, it'll be by a mighty fine margin.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:17 pm
Re: Five Stages of Bush defeat.
ebrown_p wrote:
We are about to witness the rapid disillusionment of our republican friends. I urge each A2K liberal to be understanding as this will undoubtably be a difficult time for many of our conservative members.

Over the next several weeks, our conservative friends will be experience the loss of a well-constructed fantasy world. They have been so sure they are on the right side of a world with stark definition of right and wrong.

As their leader, who they have ascribed a divine mantel of righteous might is not only defeated, but shown to be a rather impotent buffoon, they will lose this fantasy and its security.

This loss of indentity is a real loss that will lead to legitimate feelings of grief.

As you see the republican members of our community exhibit these behaviors, please be understanding. The biting anger, vitriolic attacks and unbelievable claims are really just natural psychological human responses to a inevitable tragedy.

I offer the work of Dr. Kubler-Ross who developed the "five stages" of grief.

Stage One
Denial, shock, and disbelief. Feeling of numbness. The inability to accept what has happened and insistence that no change has taken place.

Stage Two

Stage Three
Beginning to accept the reality of the situation, but trying to 'bargain' for a bit more time , whether through expressions of religious belief or increased compliance with conservative punditry.

Stage Four
Depression, characterized be feelings of hopelessness and despair about what has already been lost and what else will be lost.

Stage Five
Acceptance of the loss, and quiet discussions of defeat with closest friends and relatives. An emotional reprieve from negative emotions. Feelings of peaceful resignation about one's own fate. Lack of interest in, and withdrawal from, the everyday affairs of life, such as political affairs, social events, news stories, and so on.

-----------------

Several A2K members are clearly in stage one.

We have seen recent posts about how Bush "looked good" in the debate, and how he won "on substance". Many are also talking about the war going well.

We are starting to see signs of step two -- anger.

I expect to see very religious posts in a few weeks (stage 3) followed by expressions of negative feelings of hopelessness (stage 4).

Let's be understanding.

Very nice post, ebrown.

It looks like the same stages the Dems went through in 2000. Smile

Interesting poll by USA Today. They ask "Who did a better job in the debate?"; 53% say Kerry, 37% say Bush.

Cheer, my leftist friends, cheer!

But now look at this:

The important part

"Who was more believable?" Kerry 45%, Bush 50%

And the really, really important part

"Who is better to handle the situation in Iraq?"

Kerry 43%, Bush 54%!!!!!!!! Very Happy Link:http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/polls/2004-09-30-debate-poll.htm

At least all the Dems are used to losing, what with both houses of congress, state governers, and of course the presidency.

But this year, we need to add a Stage Six for all the libs here at AK2:

Stage Six
Hillary '08!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:40 pm
LOL Ebrown

You've got guts.

Personally, I'm stiull counting on a Bush win by 5%. But there's always hope. And the outcome of the debate (and the post-debate debate, as evidenced by the Newsweek poll) does seem to have provoked some of the reactions you describe ;-)
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:51 pm
AWESOME!!!! EBROWN Thank you for that expression. If the majority of the swing voters are intelligent and not blinded by propaganda, we may very well win this vote. I think the best thing would be to encourage our peers to realize how important voting is. Being a first time voter and intelligent, it was invigorating to hear Kerry. Busch seems like a puppet. Exclamation Very Happy
LONE VOICE: I agree we need to see STAGE 6.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:33 pm
Bush is a puppet. Always has been.

One can only wonder how many more innocent Iraqi men, women and children, along with U.S. troops, need to die before neoconservatives finally recognize how horrible conditions are in Iraq right now.

"Looking Good?" I doubt it. Watch the split screen debate on C-Span, and you'll see a petulant 6 year old squirming under the admonishment of a man who actually WENT to war.

"Substance?" Kerry raked Bush across the coals with substance. Bush was considerably more repetitive, spewing such phrases as "it's tough work," and "mixed messages" and "denigrate." He was sticking with a script that kept the little boy securely in the bubble. Only problem was, Kerry popped the bubble that night at the debates. And he'll most certainly do it again with Bush in the next two debates, ESPECIALLY when it comes to domestic issues.

Can you imagine the spanking that little brat will get when it comes to how much he screwed up the economy and the environment?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:42 pm
Heh.

He's just in stage one, folks, cut him some slack.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 02:11 am
bellavu wrote:
AWESOME!!!! EBROWN Thank you for that expression. If the majority of the swing voters are intelligent and not blinded by propaganda, we may very well win this vote. I think the best thing would be to encourage our peers to realize how important voting is. Being a first time voter and intelligent, it was invigorating to hear Kerry. Busch seems like a puppet. Exclamation Very Happy
LONE VOICE: I agree we need to see STAGE 6.

bellave: You did notice what year I placed under Hillary's name? Smile Stage Six Hillary 2008. That's because Bush is reelected, and the Dems draft Hillary in 2008 when Bush's second term is over.

But, she will lose handily to Rudy that year!

By then the libs will at Stage Nine?
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 02:20 am
Dookiestix wrote:

One can only wonder how many more innocent Iraqi men, women and children, along with U.S. troops, need to die before neoconservatives finally recognize how horrible conditions are in Iraq right now.

Hey dookie: Of course, if Kerry is by some strange reason elected, and he continues the war resulting in "more innocent Iraqi men, women and children, along with U.S. troops", you lefties will be standing up and cheering for him.

Two-faced, double-standard, no essence liberals. This is why you guys are no longer in charge of any branch of government in this country.

If you libs were true to your beliefs, you would have nominated Dean. But your obsession with power is so strong, you nominated a guy who has to pretend he is a hawk to get elected.

Pathetic......
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 06:22 am
Despite the fact that I am grateful for Dean for busting the democratic silence I am glad that Kerry is running. There was always something about Dean that I didn't like but I couldn't put my finger on it. It wasn't his red face pep rally either. I don't know what it is; but it was something.

ebrown, I hope like crazy your right.

You did describe exactly what most of us "dems" went through after getting cheated in 2000. It was so hard to believe that something like could have happened in America and it took us a while to accept it. So we denied it and said, "for the good of the country, bla bla bla. Then we went through the rest of the stages.

Because we already did go through all that, if Kerry looses it won't be so hard on the other hand if Bush looses, I imagine that what the Bush supporter will go through will be ten times worse than what we went through because they lost through honest means rather than trickery which was at least something we had to console us our side.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 07:19 am
Quote:

Two-faced, double-standard, no essence liberals. This is why you guys are no longer in charge of any branch of government in this country.

If you libs were true to your beliefs, you would have nominated Dean. But your obsession with power is so strong, you nominated a guy who has to pretend he is a hawk to get elected.

Pathetic......

Quote:

Stage Two

Just perfect.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
e brown, are you still voting nader?

I haven't made up my mind if I am going to not vote in the presidential slot of the election but still vote for all the other things as a kind of protest vote or go ahead and vote for Kerry because if he lost I would feel bad about myself for not at least doing my part.

I just think if more people don't start saying something about this acceptance of this pro Israel stance that the US has to the point where we are willing to go to war with Iraq and ignore the Palestine situation then the American people are just as much to blame as the people who in charge of those kinds of policies.
0 Replies