Elections in Germany update:No turn to the right, after all!

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:32 am
Thomas wrote:
(By the way, did you find any date at which the president has to propose a new chancellor? Köhler couldn't hold it off forever, could he?)

He could, indeed, wait until .... well, until the pressure gets too high, or the political climate would became to hot/cold.

However, any Federal President is thought by the fathers of the Basic Law to have some polical feeling and instict: he will propose one, when he thinks that this person gets the majority ... or when he thinks, Article 63 might solve it.

Momentarily, he really will have to wait. I doubt that November 17 can NOW be the fixed date for election. (But who knows NOW? At least, it seems, you won't get a new figure in the Prinz-Carl-Palais :wink: )
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:45 am
I read about Muentefering's withdrawal from the party post in today's Sueddeutsche. It took me reading all the articles before I figgered out what actually happened, since I'd missed the news when it broke out.

From what I gathered, Muente had handpicked a sucessor for the general secretary post: a man who was very loyal to him but whose qualifications impressed few in the party. Most of the party representations from the states made it clear they would vote against him and for Nahle; Muente didn't speak out to say he'd resign, in that case, and the vote followed, in which Nahles was duly elected; Meuntefering resigns.

Does Muentefering's behaviour strike anyone else as a bit childish or spoiled? If I cant have it exactly my way (because a majority simply doesnt like my candidate), I'm gonna just throw the towel in?

<frowns>
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:24 am
Generally, the leader of a party handpick" his/her general secretary - that's ex vergbatim regulateted in the statutes - not only those of the SPD but in others as well (the idea behind this is that the general secretary is a kind of his mouthpiece for the basis.

A vote against his candidate can be seen as a vote against him - at least for those, he understood his character and (Westphalian) mentality.
(I made once - when he was minister and party leader in our state a 30 mins live tv interview with him: I know, what I'm speaking about :wink: ).

There will be a new general secretary à la gusto of ... Platzek, since he didn't vote for Nahles either.

Besides, Nahles wasn't elected at all: that would have happened in Karlrsruhe in 10 days. This was 'only' the voting for the proposal of the Execute Committtee.

Some more infos about the left (Nahles) in the SPD here at their website
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:16 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A vote against his candidate can be seen as a vote against him - at least for those, he understood his character and (Westphalian) mentality.

Well, but a party is not a circle of friends, where people are expected to be able to just kind of second-guess someone's intentions on the basis of "knowing how he is"... That sounds a bit dilettantistic to me.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Besides, Nahles wasn't elected at all: that would have happened in Karlrsruhe in 10 days. This was 'only' the voting for the proposal of the Execute Committtee.

OK. But - this is what I gather from the Sueddeutsche.

Middle last week, Muente insists on Wasserhovel, while also airing the suggestion of just abolishing the post of general-secretary, which would also leave Wasserhovel as de facto strong man at the party office. A majority of Socialdemocratic chairs from the states announces their resistance to the proposal, and openly express their support for Nahles, instead.

On Friday, Muente faxes his decision to propose Wasserhovel as new secretary general anyway. The "Kampfabstimmung" between Wasserhovel and Nahles becomes a reality. But when asked, Muente in the weekend says that "the winner will be the candidate of the Executive Committee and will have wide support", which was interpreted as meaning he'd be able to live with Nahles too.

Then on Monday, on the Vorstandssitzung, a majority of the speakers speaks out for Nahles. "Some 15 members speak up. There can be hardly any doubt left about the result of the vote, scheduled to take place next." Muentefering still says nothing. The Committee proceeds to vote. "The result: Nahles won, "haushoch" (toweringly)."

And then Muente says, OK in that case I'll resign.

Like I said, to me he comes across as someone who thought he could just push his will through, ignored all signs that the Executive didnt think his pick was capable enough, pushed it through anyway, and when he then predictably lost, mopingly threw in the towel, "well, if youre not going to do exactly what I want, even when you think its not good, I'm just gonna go". Seems childish and spoiled to me. I mean, even Bush knew when to withdraw Miers...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:57 pm
nimh wrote:
Does Muentefering's behaviour strike anyone else as a bit childish or spoiled? If I cant have it exactly my way (because a majority simply doesnt like my candidate), I'm gonna just throw the towel in?

I always thought of Müntefering as an apparatschik. It must have been surprising for him to notice that now that he's running the apparatus, it develops a mind of its own. Good riddance -- I much prefer Matthias Platzeck, his successor.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:08 pm
Changed the party, Thomas :wink:

I've met Müntefering a couple of times, on party and ministry meetings: most (if not all) thought, he's exactly the opposite to an apparatschik (especially the civil servants in the health ministry got their troubles how he handled the stuff "manually".

That might have changed in the last years.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:20 pm
looks to me that germany will have an increase in the "value added tax" more quickly than a new chancellor ... (i'm sure it'll make my brother-in-law in hamburg deliriously happy to pay a higher tax !). hbg

ps. i also note that there will be no increase in the pension for 2006 - crying !
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:43 am
Well, I don't think, since usually such new laws won't be decided before we got a new government.

However, this is one of the only things (if not THE only) I had agreed with the conservatives (not only because we've got by far the lowest value added tax in the EU).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 12:38 pm
i read that the proposed SDP vice chancellor(?) is talking of a 20 % VAT. in ontario we have a 7% federal sales tax plus a 8% provincial sales tax (most food items are tax free). since the taxes are not allowed to be included in the price shown, there is always plenty of grumbling about the "darned" sales tax.
i just have my invoice for a digital camera and accessories in front of me :
subtotal $283.74
GST 19.86
PST 22.70
---------
total $326.30

so you usually have to add 15% to the advertised price. many europeans find it quite annoying to see one price advertised and having to pay a higher price once they arrive at the cash-register.
buying a restaurant meal is even more confusing; a $20 meal usually costs you $26 - 15% tax plus 15% tip. hbg

ps. of course i bought a camara with a zeiss lens to help the german industry !!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 12:46 pm
Actually, it seems the first proposed 18% VAT (the conservatives always wanted a higher VAT than the actual 16% - the SPD always opposed.) might really go up to 20% - 'good' European standard. Sad

VAT is always included in prices here (and all over Europe, I think).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:01 pm
We had had three state elctions today, in the southwestern state of Baden-Württemberg, in the (neighbouring, a bit north) Rhineland-Palatinate and in the central/eastern state of Saxony-Anhalt.

Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats and their Social Democrat allies both emerged as winners from today's three state elections that were the first test of voter support for the great coalition, provisory final results show.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:01 pm
The Christian Democrats retained power in the southwestern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg:

http://i1.tinypic.com/sc8eit.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/sc8gm1.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:02 pm
The Social Democrats, Merkel's coalition partner at federal level, held on to the state of Rhineland-Palatinate with an outright majority.

http://i1.tinypic.com/sc8hhw.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/sc8jdc.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:02 pm
In the eastern state of Saxony-Anhalt, the two parties may form a coalition mirroring Merkel's administration in Berlin.

http://i1.tinypic.com/sc8kk4.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/sc95iw.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 12:24 am
http://i1.tinypic.com/sdfxua.jpg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 04:55 am
interesting Walter thanks. so perhaps the Great Coalition will be more permanent than you originally thought?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 06:17 am
Ehem ... yes Embarrassed

One additional result: it was the lowest turnout of voters with state elections we ever had. (44% in Saxonia-Anhalt only!)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 06:18 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
interesting Walter thanks. so perhaps the Great Coalition will be more permanent than you originally thought?

Certainly in the East German states, where nobody wants a coalition with the ex-communists. (At least everyone pretends that they don't.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 06:23 am
And in West German states nobody really wants a coalition with the liberals - at least not THE PEOPLE :wink:
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:39 am
Shocked Are you saying we're out in Baden-Württemberg too?

While I make no apologies for being an FDP voter (after Möllemann's death anyway), and while I regret that we're out in Rheinland-Pfalz, I can live with a Germany where the FDP is temporarily isolated as long as the PDS remains isolated, too. (Permanently if possible -- it's certainly a blessing that the SPD was too weak to make a red-red coalition work.)
0 Replies