Playing the Race Card

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 04:43 am
Five elected black Republicans make the case for the president.

Friday, October 1, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

(This article is written by J.C. Watts, Michael Steele, Jennette Bradley, J. Kenneth Blackwell and Michael Williams.)

John Kerry wants to be president. But he doesn't want to discuss his unproductive time in the Senate. And he isn't offering credible ideas to extend opportunity and promote ownership in our communities. Instead, he's going back into the old Democratic Party bag of tricks and pulling out . . . the race card. Mr. Kerry has tried to paint President Bush as a racist bent on destroying civil rights. But when you look at the real record, you see that George W. Bush has done more to empower African-Americans and other minorities than any president in recent history.

President Bush has taken action to create opportunities for minorities through improved education and increased homeownership. His No Child Left Behind education reform was designed to close the achievement gap between white and minority students. He has worked for an increase in funding for historically black colleges and universities. And President Bush set a national goal of helping 5.5 million minorities become homeowners. Just two years later, we're a third of the way there, and today more minority families than ever before own their home.

President Bush has improved minority communities, reducing violent crime rates with initiatives like Project Safe Neighborhoods, which is taking gun criminals off the streets. His Faith-Based and Community Initiative is boosting the efforts of charities that bring real help to people in urban neighborhoods. President Bush's tax relief has also helped businesses create 1.7 million jobs in the last year and he has worked to create more opportunities for small and minority-owned businesses. He has even launched the most ambitious American effort ever aimed at combating AIDS and other diseases in Africa. It's a record that we, as African-Americans, are proud to support.

More at: www.opinionjournal.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 610 • Replies: 7
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 06:23 am
What is curious is that the Bush campaign has not attacked his Senate record more. GW's campaign needs to bring that into play as the "flip-flop" tactics is getting to be old.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:38 am
Kerry was in the Senate?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:43 am
I am curious why you titled your heading, "playing the race card." Is that what it is? If not why the title?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:48 am
The NAACP, Jesse Jackson, and John Kerry have all gigged Bush on his record with minorities. Of course what they say is pure spin--that's the race card played. And, as the article posted here points out, the facts don't support the spin.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:05 am
revel wrote:
I am curious why you titled your heading, "playing the race card." Is that what it is? If not why the title?

From the article, "the old Democratic Party bag of tricks and pulling out . . . the race card."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 09:23 am
I am not interested in registering for that article. However in your article that you posted, I can see no reference to "the old democratic party bag or tricks and pulling out the race card" to make it make sense to title your thread "playing the race card"

However, it was just an idle curiousity.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:01 am
revel wrote:
I am not interested in registering for that article. However in your article that you posted, I can see no reference to "the old democratic party bag or tricks and pulling out the race card" to make it make sense to title your thread "playing the race card"

However, it was just an idle curiousity.

It was in the first paragraph. How could you miss it?
0 Replies