The great bible book club (a rant/discussion)

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 04:31 am
must be a forum plug-in gone wrong
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 04:34 am
@Smileyrius,
Some atheists are anti-religionists, there\'s no doubt about that. In my experience, most are not. Despite what hateful people like Izzy say, i don\'t and the great majority of atheists I\'ve met don\'t proselytize. Izzy is just desperate to take a cheap shot and start a fight.

It seems important to some of the more fanatical religious types, who are disturbed by the fact that there are atheists at all, to portray them as the practitioners of a religion. I believe this is what motivated Candlelight\'s thoughtless remark.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:00 am
@Smileyrius,
\"Smileyrius\" wrote:

Just weighing in here, I think it is fair to say that some Atheists have no interest in Religion at all.

That is fair, but Setanta is as proselytising as they come. He tried to get me to read books on atheism. That\'s how not interested in religion he is. He\'s a zealot.
\"Smileyrius\" wrote:

p.s is anyone else having problems with backslashes being imput against apostraphes and speech marks?

Yup.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:06 am
My wife is a Christian. She and I have never even discussed atheism in the greater part of 40 years. When I react to Christians on a2k it is to address bigotry, not to proselytize.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:13 am
@edgarblythe,
I never said you were a proselytizer. Setanta though,behaves very much like an evangelist. Christians aren\'t the only bigots on A2K. Krumple\'s atheism accommodates belittling the extent of the Holocaust very easily.
Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:19 am
@izzythepush,
\"izzythepush\" wrote:
That is fair, but Setanta is as proselytising as they come. He tried to get me to read books on atheism. That\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s how not interested in religion he is. He\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s a zealot.

That is a lie, which is typical of you. I provided a link to a source, online, not a book, which explains the different types of atheists. You know it all, though, huh, so you are not about to educate yourself.

None of this horsie poop comes up in my everyday life--never.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:23 am
@izzythepush,
\"izzythepush\" wrote:

I never said you were a proselytizer. Setanta though,behaves very much like an evangelist. Christians aren\\\'t the only bigots on A2K. Krumple\\\'s atheism accommodates belittling the extent of the Holocaust very easily.

That\'s a personal issue for Krumple. Divorced from considerations of atheism proper.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 06:25 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
we talk football

Tried to once. Couldn\'t keep the stupid grin off my face. Flunked a semester of English Lit. when the football fan Prof. noticed.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 06:54 am
Eventually I gave up not collecting stamps.

At one stage the non-collection perforated my life to the very edge with an all enveloping pane and selvage, and I became increasingly unhinged.

It was around this time that I found myself spitting on the wrong side of the imaginary stamps as if the mucilage on the face would somehow balance all that time I had spent as a lickspittle to the other side of the non-collection.

I just didn't believe in it any more and stopped going to the post office, spending a mint on the hobby.

I don't mind that others maintain their non-collection of stamps, I'm just glad I came to realise that it was bereft of logic.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 06:57 am
@nacredambition,

nacredambition wrote:

Eventually I gave up not collecting stamps.

At one stage the non-collection perforated my life to its very edge with all the enveloping pane and selvage and I became increasingly unhinged.

It was around this time that I found myself spitting on the wrong side of the stamps as if the mucilage on the face would somehow balance all that time I had spent as a lickspittle to the other side of the non-collection.

I just didn't believe in it any more and stopped going to the post office ad spending a mint on the hobby.

I don't mind that others maintain their non-collection of stamps, I'm just glad I came to realise that it was bereft of logic.

Magic is more logical?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:29 am
Why do people have such a problem with proselytizing?

Proselytizing is a core part of what it means to be human. It is part of what it means to live as a social being. Anyone who doesn't proselytize is disengaged from society.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 09:59 am
@edgarblythe,
That sounds very much a pick and mix approach to morality. If a Christian lacks ethics it's all tied up with their religion, but if an atheist is so minded it's completely separate from their atheism.

If atheism isn't a religion why do you refer to atheism proper? The more you try to pretend it's not a religion, the more you act like it is.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:19 pm
@izzythepush,
You people with an ax to grind against atheism will grab at straws to find a put down. I don't recall blaming you for faith healing and working to ban abortion to save a mother's life or killing a child through exorcism. Why blame me for people like Krumple?
Krumple

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

\"izzythepush\" wrote:

I never said you were a proselytizer. Setanta though,behaves very much like an evangelist. Christians aren\\\'t the only bigots on A2K. Krumple\\\'s atheism accommodates belittling the extent of the Holocaust very easily.

That\'s a personal issue for Krumple. Divorced from considerations of atheism proper.

The silly thing is I never said anywhere that the holocaust didnt happen. Izzy attacks me with this strawman for over five years. He just cant wait to derail a thread with it.

Atheism proper? How is that any different than attacking an aggressive atheist?

Its like you guys are demanding tolerance and at the same time saying you wont tolerate intolerance.

Its silly. I thought wisdom came with age but perhaps not in your two cases.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:45 pm
@Krumple,
I said you belittled the extent of it, and you did. You spent an inordinate amount of time questioning the numbers of those killed.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't have an axe to grind against any particular religion. I have a problem with preachy people in general, whether they be Atheist, Christian or whatever, and I don't like double standards.

I've not blamed you for Krumple at all, I pointed out that bigots come from all philosophies. No one belief has a monopoly on morality although many behave like they do.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:56 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I said you belittled the extent of it, and you did. You spent an inordinate amount of time questioning the numbers of those killed.

My whole point was to examine the claim. I didnt go into it to prove it wrong. My analysis was neutral as I stated when I began working on it. It could have gone any direction. I just took the "facts" and did some research rather than just accept them as true.

You get so butt hurt over just analyzing the claim then it's even more of a reason to verify if it's true. Emotional claims used as a way to gain leverage politically should be investigated. But like I said you cant get over it.

There are a lot of these sorts of investigations and research being done, and they should be regardless of how they make you feel.

So you can quit strawmaning me as something Im not. Just because you didnt like my conclusion doesnt mean Im antisemitic.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 01:23 pm
@Krumple,
I can't see what can be gained by potentially knocking a few hundred thousand off official figures, or what the motivation for that would be other than to smear.
Krumple

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 01:46 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I can't see what can be gained by potentially knocking a few hundred thousand off official figures, or what the motivation for that would be other than to smear.

Like I said I could have just as easily discivered that not only was it possible to have those numbers but the numbers could have been higher.

I was only examining the claim. I was curious because the numbers were so huge but how some would use it as leverage.

No matter what claim is made, as soon as someone starts using it for leverage to "shut up" it makes me question the validity of the claim.

When I was working on it, I had been reading a story written by a woman who claimed to have "gotten lucky" surviving a close brush with the whole process.

It turns out she was never there. Her whole book is a lie. Shes making money off other peoples suffering and claiming to be a victim that she isnt.

But had we just taken her story as true and off limits to investigate its authenticity then she would continue scamming people and making money she doesnt deserve.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 01:57 pm
@Krumple,
I've heard this before. It didn't wash then.