White House allegedly wrote Allawi speech

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:43 pm
Lawmaker expresses "dismay" that White House allegedly wrote Allawi speech
Thu Sep 30, 3:36 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - In a letter to the White House, a leading US Senate Democrat expressed "profound dismay" that the White House allegedly wrote a large portion of Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's speech to Congress last week.

"I want to express my profound dismay about reports that officials from your administration and your reelection campaign were 'heavily involved' in writing parts of Prime Minister Ayad Allawi's speech," California Senator Dianne Feinstein wrote in a letter to President George W. Bush.

"You may be surprised by this, Mr. President, but I viewed Prime Minister Allawis speech as an independent view on conditions in Iraq" she wrote.

"His speech gave me hope that reconstruction efforts were proceeding in most of the country and that elections could be held on schedule."

"To learn that this was not an independent view, but one that was massaged by your campaign operatives, jaundices the speech and reduces the credibility of his remarks," Feinstein wrote.

Her letter was a response to an article appearing in Thursday's Washington Post, which also alleged that Allawi was coached by US officials -- including Dan Senor, former spokesman for the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq-- in perfecting his delivery of the speech delivered before a joint session of Congress one week ago.

Washington Post article:

Who Wrote Allawi's Speech?

Dana Milbank and Mike Allen write in The Washington Post that "details have emerged showing the U.S. government and a representative of President Bush's reelection campaign had been heavily involved in drafting the speech given to Congress last week by interim Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi."

This in an article about how "The Bush administration, battling negative perceptions of the Iraq war, is sending Iraqi Americans to deliver what the Pentagon calls 'good news' about Iraq to U.S. military bases, and has curtailed distribution of reports showing increasing violence in that country."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 446 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Thok

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:44 pm
Yes, that was and it is still too apparently. He praised only American soldiers and not the Iraqi guard.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:55 am
It was pretty obvious, too, as he used many of the same campaign slogans used by the Bush team.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:03 am
Actually, Freeduck, that's what surprised me in hearing that they wrote a good portion of the speech for him. Shouldn't they know to change up the phrasing so it isn't so glaringly obvious?

Oh, wait. I almost forgot the whole repeat the same lie ... it becomes truth, and hammer the catch phrases to hip-no-tize the electorate thing. It probably worked. Most will not see this info about the white House writing the speech for him.
0 Replies