Proper book capitalization question

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 12:03 pm
I am having the strangest time coming to satisfaction about the capitalization scheme in the title of a book I'm publishing.

It's called The Art of Being Human: What It Means to be (from my understanding of the research I've done on this, that is the correct way to capitalize it, but it doesn't look/feel right to me).

My first instinct was The Art of Being Human: What it Means to Be. At this point, I'm just simply confused. Help please?

contrex

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 01:08 pm
(Note: being British, I spell capitalise with an s not a z.

This is my take:

Your instinct is nearly right.

Capitalise the first and the last word. Capitalise nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions. Lowercase articles (a, an, the), coordinating conjunctions, and prepositions. Lowercase the "to" in an infinitive.

The Art of Being Human: What It Means to Be

The is capitalised because it is the first word.
Art is capitalised because it is a noun.
of is not capitalised because it is a a preposition.
Being is capitalised because it is a gerund noun.
Human is capitalised because it is an adjective.
What is capitalised because it is a pronoun.
It is capitalised because it is an pronoun.
Means is capitalised because it is a verb.
to is not capitalised because it is an infinitive marker.
Be is capitalised because it is a verb, and in any case is the last word of the title.

Andrew Love

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 01:24 pm
@contrex,
Thank you very much. Smile
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 01:27 pm
@contrex,
Andy, Con is on the ball as usu
0 Replies

Candlelight8

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 11:33 pm
@Andrew Love,
I like the title, "The Art of Being Human" but I think it would be best to stop there or "What It Means to Be", but I don't like them put together. The capitalization I would base on what is the most Artistic. I would do things in different ways depending entirely on the words themselves and what font you were going to use. In Wikipedia, I believe you will find something known as a secondary title, and this should be done altogether differently. The secondary title to be a much smaller font or not appear on the cover at all. I think Good Titles catch the eye and tickle the imagination. Two good titles do not make one good one, but only my opinion. Either one of these is great. If you are set on both I would make one of them a secondary title and place it below the primary in smaller font. How about, "What It Means To Be"
"The Art Of Being Human" in smaller font
or the other way around? Best of luck to you in this endeavor. Candlelight8
0 Replies