18

A better browser than Chrome for windows 7?

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 09:39 am
Shortly after I bought my computer, internet explorer crashed. I have had chrome ever since. But it freezes and fails to respond so often I would try something else. I have a poor internet connection, I know for certain. I once told the representative for my DSL this fact and he said, "I know how bad it is. I live in this neighborhood, too." I spend entirely too much time waiting.

View best answer, chosen by edgarblythe
panzade

2  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 10:40 am
@edgarblythe,
I had to give up on Firefox. Unresponsive scripts and trouble with plug-ins were killing my online experience.
Just last week I got a used Dell Latitude 630 and added Windows 10. Also I got the cable company to provide a 25 ft data cord to run from the router straight info the laptop. No more wireless, no more hang ups on Chrome. What a difference.
ehBeth

1  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 10:45 am
@edgarblythe,
We've been having good luck with Opera for several months now.

1  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 10:53 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

I tried Firefox before Chrome. Didn't work out. I tried to get cable from Chase, but their service ends before their lines get this far. We are in a primitive state here, so far.

1  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 10:54 am
@ehBeth,
I will experiment with Opera in a bit. Thanks, folks.

McGentrix
  Selected Answer

2  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 03:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Step 1: Download a fresh copy of Chrome

Step 2: Completely uninstall Chrome

Step 3: Get the following add ons:
a} AdBlock
b} TamperMonkey
c} Ghostery
d} uBlock Origin

Step 4: Enjoy your Internet experience

Other notes... Get and run Malware Bytes regularly. Get and install a good AntiVirus software. (Microsoft Security Essentials is a good free one). Quit watch old car porn.

panzade

1  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 03:48 pm
@McGentrix,
Ha ha. Great post.
You're my a2k geek from now on.

1  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 03:57 pm
@McGentrix,
But what will I browse with?
panzade

1  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 04:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Browse with I E to download fresh Chrome.

McGentrix

1  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 06:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Step 2.5: Install fresh copy of Chrome you downloaded in step 1... oops.

2  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 09:22 pm
I have installed all this stuff except malware bytes. Tomorrow. It's getting late. I still have to try to understand all this stuff better to take full advantage, I think. I am truly stupid with computers.
McGentrix

3  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 09:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
When you install Malware Bytes, make you you don't check or uncheck if it's checked to do the Premium trial. The free version is fine for home use.

So far as the add-ons go, just keep them at the default levels. If any massages come up, be sure you read them carefully and follow the prompts.

MontereyJack

1  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 10:54 pm
ok, I use an incredibly old HP Compaq laptop with windows vista and chrome, and chrome stopped supporting vista. I wasn't very pleased
with chrome because it kept spending endless time downloading news sites. a2k it did good, but not the news and I'm a news junkie. Any tips?
McGentrix

1  
Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 11:33 pm
@MontereyJack,
For Vista? Get a new computer.

Microsoft is going to be stopping support for Vista which means no more updates on anything.
MontereyJack

1  
Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 05:02 am
@McGentrix,
got one. I like this one. Anyone still supporting vista?
panzade

2  
Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 10:50 am
@MontereyJack,
I have a suggestion for you based on McGs suggestion to get a new computer.

In 2007 Dell sold a gazillion Latitude D630 laptops to businesses across the world. Built like a tank with dual core and 2 gigs of memory and an 80 gig hard drive(these are real good things) the D630 was state of the art.

Now in 2016 they've been unloaded on the refurbished market and are showing up at Walmart for as low as $118.
I bought one last year and man, is it a joy to use.
It comes with a free update to Windows 10 which I love.
All my browser problems disappeared and getting on the internet is fun again.
I know change is scary but you're gonna have to leave that old clunker soon.

For $118 you can't go wrong

juliafreitaslove

-1  
Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 03:49 am
@edgarblythe,
@edgarblythe As of honest opinion, I would rather say that we all know Google is leading the market right now and their products and retaining the num one spot. Similarly, in internet browsers Chrome is still holding the num one position, although there are many other browsers you can try, but if you say better than chrome than it would be impossible for any browser company to beat Google.
In order to get rid of this issue, you can expand your internet speed, or increase RAM because the lower amount of RAM also causes the apps or programs to get crashed. Do not use any other app, game or any software while surfing. Hope this helps

Regards

InfraBlue

1  
Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 09:36 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

In regard to internet browsers, Firefox is still supporting Vista. For antivirus, Avast is still at it.

1  
Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2016 12:57 pm
Most of my problems are likely due to a low quality Emachine, plus a slow connection. Everything works better, since I followed the advice of McGentrix. But the computer is still maddeningly slow. When I navigate away from my Hushmail account there is always a notice at the top of the page advising me to check my connection. When I play Angry Birds, the page freezes in little bits, making the game pieces jump across the screen between about a second long pauses. The cursor has to grab at the game pieces varying numbers of times before making them respond. On able2know, scrolling takes extra time.
PaulAdam0

0  
Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2016 11:36 pm
Don't you use Firefox?
Opera mini is also good option.