Bush an't no cowboy.

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:53 am
There's a great article in the Village Voice about how Gearge W Bush isn't a cowboy at all, and that calling him that discredits the strong all-american persona.

The article stacks up the Gene Autry Cowboy Code against W and his actions.....

Village Voice
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 875 • Replies: 9
No top replies

angie

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:26 pm
Loved this article. And fully agree that calling Bush a cowboy insults cowboys.

Still, you have to agree that the Rove machine has sold the image rather effectively. Those $300 boots and the pseudo tough guy talk have sadly fooled tons of Americans, when the real tough guy, the one who volunteered for and actually served in a war, is mischaracterized as soft, because ... oh I don't know, perhaps because he speaks in complete sentences and believes your head is more than a hat rack ?

Real courage is more than strutting around shouting "Bring it on", especially when the strutting is done while hiding out in Alabama or while sending other people's children to die in an unjustified for-profit unilateral invasion.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:31 pm
Yay, littlek started a new thread! I haven't seen many from you. Maybe I just haven't been following your moves enough.

I skimmed that article a week or so ago. Good stuff.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:46 pm
That's a great article littlek!...or as kicky says: "Good stuff."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 07:49 pm
Angie, sad but true, people are buying it up and loving every penny spent.

Kicky, I have started many, but not a lot lately.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:11 pm
I'm getting the feeling that the Rove machine may have gone to the cowboy well just a bit too often.

I mean, a REAL cowboy would probably have had a REAL plan before riding in, guns-a-blazin', to Dodge (Iraq).

Someone told me the other day that she felt Bush's re-election might, in the end, make this country healthier by underscoring, emphatically and with absolutely no doubt, that the arrogant and divisive policies of right-wing idealogue extremists make America less safe, less productive, and less free.

Of course, America would need to actually survive four more years Bush's destructive agenda to be able to reap the benefits of this enlightenment, and I'm not at all sure that she can.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:15 pm
Real cowboys wouldn't waste time on a doofus like Bush once they got to know him.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:16 pm
G.W. a cowboy? In what sense? Inherent in the definition, even in the romantic sense, is someone that works for a living. This, today, need not involve getting one's hands actually dirty but, at least, suggests that one so labeled is participating in long hours of toil involving personal involvement in an industrious endeavor working towards economic reward. This is not the "work history" of Barbara and George H.W. Bush's children generally and specifically.

The modern "Cowboy" is the independent trucker who is probably, but not necessarily, supported by his wife who books not only the initial trip but that of the return so that both involve the profitable transportation of goods. That is, the very definition of capitalistic experience that he and his GOP party espouses.

It is my opinion that our president is unfamiliar, not only with a personal work experience, but with that of all the pressures that effect such work experience by all Americans that pay taxes.

JM
0 Replies

angie

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:21 pm
meanwhile, back on the ranch ......

http://kintera.sitestream.com/ferrell_qt_hi.mov
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:37 pm
His handlers are playing up the John Wayne bit to the hilt. He stand as though he's ready to draw his pistols. Given his proneness to accidents it's a good thing his handlers don't give him any; he's liable to shoot himself in the foot.

The tough-guy image is so damned phoney. He was a cheerleader at boarding school for crying out loud!!!

http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/Bush%20Cheerleader.jpg
0 Replies