Pros and Cons of Unionizing

klp1979

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:16 pm
I am currently employed at a non-profit agency in Ontario, Canada. Our organization is looking into unionizing (we have a vote next week). Here is the deal, we are funded by the federal government and the provincial government and our funding is based on our "numbers" (basically the amount of clients we see. We are not considered an "essential service". Our organization is being torn apart by this possible union forming. I want to make an informed decision and I am utilizing all resources possible. So, please tell me your opinions about unions, I welcome all responses. And if you have worked in a social service organization that has attempted and/or succeeded in unionizing, please let me know. Thanks for your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 851 • Replies: 3
No top replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 09:06 pm
My rule of thumb is: the only shops that need a union are those with terrible working conditions. (Walmart) The original unions organized sweatshops in order to help the downtrodden.
Some of the powerful unions today are richer than the employers. Seems like a joke.
stan.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 11:33 pm
Re: Pros and Cons of Unionizing
klp1979 wrote:
I am currently employed at a non-profit agency in Ontario, Canada. Our organization is looking into unionizing (we have a vote next week). Here is the deal, we are funded by the federal government and the provincial government and our funding is based on our "numbers" (basically the amount of clients we see. We are not considered an "essential service". Our organization is being torn apart by this possible union forming. I want to make an informed decision and I am utilizing all resources possible. So, please tell me your opinions about unions, I welcome all responses. And if you have worked in a social service organization that has attempted and/or succeeded in unionizing, please let me know. Thanks for your help!

Most employees have no interest in unionizing unless they have been unable to resolve issues and complaints with management. Poor or unfair management often leads to unionizing efforts.

You don't state your workplace problems so I can't judge how important it would be to vote union. It is much easier and safer to negotiate as a united group rather than to try to improve conditions individually.

One thing you might want to keep in mind. A unionized workplace is not a permanent situation. The employees can always decertify a union if the expected representation is not satisfactory. So I see no reason not to vote for the union to see if it can improve your workplace conditions.

BBB
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:43 am
Close to my home (in Canada) is a huge Toyota plant. It was chosen best factory in North America several times. The employees held a referendum about unionizing the plant.
They rejected it; they are so happy with their conditions they do not want a union.
stan.
0 Replies