Kerry's Problem in the Debates

avsrule

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:35 pm
Edit: Moderator: Do not post your links here

Quote:
When you look past the perspiration problem, you should be able to see that Kerry faces an array of problems far more troublesome than how much he sweats.

First off, in the foreign policy debate Senator Kerry cannot hold any credibility with the American people if he talks about strengthing our national defense. If you are frequent reader here, you will probably know what is coming.

Senator Kerry's voting record simply does not vouch for his campaign promises. He has consistently voting against the very weapon systems that we know use in Iraq. (Apache, B-1 Bomber, B-2 Bomber, Trident Submarine, Patriot Missile, MX Missile, the list could go on forever.) He voted to cut intelligence spending by six billion.

Even more damning is the fact that any position on Iraq he takes in the debate is going to be contradicting his previous statements before and during the Presidential campaign. I expect the President to exploit that. I can just see Kerry slamming the President Bush on the decision to go to war, only for the President to pull up some "interesting" quotes.

Secondly, Kerry has two types of supporters. You have the pacifist, "Anyone but Bush", looney-left supporters. Then you have the people that have some fair reservations about Bush. If Kerry puts on the "anti-war" face, the face that he had for a couple of weeks, he alienates the moderates. If he goes moderate, he alienates the loons, sending them to Kerry.

Bush does not have that problem. We are united and we love our President. The President who will lead this country for four more years.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 951 • Replies: 18
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:38 pm
what will be the most interesting event of the coming debates will be if either of the debaters offer a single word not scripted. (and choreographed)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:51 pm
Kerry' main problem is the bias that allows Bush to look good if he manages to avoid grinning stupidly and stumbling all over his memorized lines in the debates...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:53 pm
No matter how stupid Bush looks or acts, it will be reported that he aced it. He has a coating of slime so slippery that it keeps him from being grabbed onto by the opposition.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:19 pm
Re: Kerry's Problem in the Debates
avsrule wrote:
Edit: Moderator: Do not post your links here

Quote:

Bush does not have that problem. We are united and we love our President. The President who will lead this country for four more years.

Bush is a goddam moron who has done more harm to this country and the world than people like Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein could ever do.

Vote for him if you want.

But don't pretend for a second that you are doing it out of patriotism or love of country...because anyone with a brain see that for bullshyt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:26 pm
Don't hold back, Frank. You may be too subtle here.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:32 pm
Kerry's problem is he is a man who is not sure of who he is or what he will consistently stand for.

Bush, on the other hand, is cocky and self-assured about who he is and what he wants to do and sticks to it. Agree with him or not, you will always know where he stands.

Cap that off with a strident and angry Kerry opposing the good humored Bush, and Kerry comes out the loser in the debates.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:45 pm
Where Bush stands and where Bush says he stands are two different things. He may be consistent, but, looking in depth it becomes apparent he stands for so many wrong things a bit of reversal would be welcome.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:46 pm
so we the pepole chose between a loser and a moron. um thinking------------
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:54 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Bush, on the other hand, is cocky and self-assured about who he is and what he wants to do and sticks to it. Agree with him or not, you will always know where he stands.

You means things such as "I am a uniter not a divider" or "I will not allow U.S. military forces to engage in "nation building."?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:59 pm
How about "Bring 'em on!" What was that about?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 05:04 pm
Obviously our new hatchling doesn't keep up with the news or check what gets spewed forth. The claims being addressed here (ie "He has consistently voting against the very weapon systems that we know use in Iraq." and "...any position on Iraq he takes in the debate is going to be contradicting his previous statements before") are the exact soundbites Bush wanted everyone to swallow. But, they aren't true.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 05:07 pm
Of course not, Squinney, but a sizeable number of voters gives credence to ridiculous distortions about Kerry while giving Bush a free ride. Even many Democrats often seem to waver.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 05:20 pm
mesquite wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

You means things such as "I am a uniter not a divider" or "I will not allow U.S. military forces to engage in "nation building."?

Yeah, like that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:36 pm
The big key for Kerry in the debate is to look presidential. It will be the first time most see Kerry and Bush together. Bush and company have spent a lot of time bashing Kerry but now Kerry will be right there to take it and respond. If Kerry looks more presidential than Bush at the debate it could well be over for Bush because Bush can't win on substance.

The partisans are going to attack me on this one but it is the swing voters that will decide the election and if they see Kerry as capable in direct comparison it could well create a large movement amongst the 20% unsure or only slightly leaning.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:39 pm
parados wrote:
The partisans are going to attack me on this one but it is the swing voters that will decide the election and if they see Kerry as capable in direct comparison it could well create a large movement amongst the 20% unsure or only slightly leaning.

I agree that if the swing voters see Kerry as more capable than Bush it is not good news for Bush.

I also think that is about as likely as me winning the lotto.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:52 pm
Larry434 writes
Quote:

I agree that if the swing voters see Kerry as more capable than Bush it is not good news for Bush.

I also think that is about as likely as me winning the lotto.

Actually, I think the odds are about 50/50 for Kerry.. the lotto is MUCH harder to win. If Bush does his usual and only has 3 or 4 responses that he repeats no matter what the question is he could come off looking very uninformed and unprepared. I think there is little question that Kerry is better informed, the real key is the comparison. A strong Bush or an uninformed Bush vs a rambling and hard to understand Kerry or a informed Kerry that has real answers to real questions.

Based on past elections, this might be as simple as undecided voters just want to see if Kerry LOOKs presidential. An emotional response to confirm what they may already intellectually think. This is the real threat to Bush. They have painted him as incapable of being President and now voters can see it for themselves without the Bush campaign filter.

The partisans on both sides will see the debate as they want to no matter what.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:04 pm
It's not about either Bush or Kerry but how stupid the public is.

Both candidates will be preaching to their own flock. Both factions of the public will see the other candidate as a lying losing incompetent or a flip flopping inconsistent wimp depending on which camp you're in.

The public is pretty stupid. And the public is meaner than it is stupid half of them are apologizing for the performance of this president and want to re-elect him. I like Bush best when he stammers.

And Kerry hasn't changed his pitch since Iowa. The only change now is the he and Howard Dean are on the same team. So is John Edwards who makes a good running mate. The only thing stopping them will be the million votes that may not be cast by those who have lost jobs and set adrift by this economy.

Who are the likely voters? I am. I'm registered too and I'll vote Democratic.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:07 pm
Those who have been set adrift may have to write in votes or travel to their old precinct. People I know who have never voted are planning to vote for "anybody but Bush" and I don't mean nader.

Anybody but Bush should be able to put Bush on the defensive in this debate. Bush should be on the defensive - because more than half of us find him offensive.
0 Replies