Restoring my faith in Texans...

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:30 pm
Associated Press

CRAWFORD, Texas - A weekly newspaper that bills itself as President Bush's hometown paper endorsed John Kerry for president, saying the Massachusetts senator will restore American dignity.

The Lone Star Iconoclast, which has a circulation of 425, said in an editorial dated Sept. 29 that Texans should rate the candidates not by hometown or political party, but by where they intend to take the country.

"Four items trouble us the most about the Bush administration: his initiatives to disable the Social Security system, the deteriorating state of the American economy, a dangerous shift away from the basic freedoms established by our founding fathers, and his continuous mistakes regarding Iraq," the editorial said.

The Iconoclast, established in 2000, said it endorsed Bush that year. It also said it editorialized in support of the invasion of Iraq, and publisher W. Leon Smith promoted Bush and the invasion in a British Broadcasting Corp. interview, believing Saddam Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction.

"Instead we were duped into following yet another privileged agenda," the editorial said.

The newspaper praised Kerry for "30 years of experience looking out for the American people" and lauded his background as "a highly decorated Vietnam veteran."

Lone Star Iconoclast: http://www.iconoclast-texas.com

(AP story, several places, here's one:)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040928/pl_nm/campaign_endorsement_dc_1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 803 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 03:34 pm
Hooray for them!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:28 pm
There's two or three of us.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 05:39 pm
Closer to two, Edgar. They've only had "two" letters to the editor LOL. Looks more like a "blog" than a newspaper.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 05:49 pm
We are not just readers of that same paper, smarty pants.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:14 pm
OK, three LOL. I tried to email both the editor and the webmaster (from the addresses listed on the website.) Both were turned "service unavailable".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:16 pm
I think that there are likely a lot of people like you emailing them... and that it probably ain't pleasant...
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:28 pm
Like me? What does that mean?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:30 pm
People who hold the same views as you. Which I assume (and am happy to be corrected) are not very complimentary towards the editors of The Lone Star Iconoclast...
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:37 pm
Sozobe - my emails contained brief inquiries only. First to the email listed under "contact us", and when that was returned, one to the webmaster. I made no editorial comment, nor do I plan to.

With a readership of under 500 (most likely closer to 50), I'm not at all worried about their "views" LOL. I doubt, and I'm pretty sure you'll agree, that whatever their views are, it will have little or no effect on what is sure to be a landslide for President Bush in Texas.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:42 pm
Whatever, JW.

I thought this was an interesting little factoid -- Bush's own hometown newspaper! I didn't claim, nor do I now, that this one thing will turn any tides. Just an interesting little factoid.

As I'm sure you know, I have my doubts as to whether it will be a landslide for Bush. Certainly doing whatever I can to ensure that doesn't happen. But there are a zillion debates on that elsewhere... the "bookie" thread for example.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:49 pm
Interesting, perhaps. Significant, not so much.

While I know the President will win, I'm not even saying it will be a landslide. However, I do think it could be a landslide for him in Texas.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:54 pm
Geez, JW, with the defensiveness you've shown here you might think your certainty is not actually so iron-clad. ;-)

Interesting little factoid.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:57 pm
Oops...didn't mean to sound defensive. I guess that's what happens, though, when addressed as "people like you". :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:01 pm
JW, you haven't exactly made a secret of your support for Bush and disdain for Kerry...

But I'll accept that "people like you" could have been taken to mean "people who would write harrassing emails", which is not quite how it was meant.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 03:46 am
my old friend charley was from dallas/ft. worth. he was a great guy. an artist and an excellant dude to have a beer with. sadly, he died a few weeks back and won't be around to vote against a fellow he would have catagorized as a "goat roper". he didn't say that like it was a compliment.

hey.. i just got this mental image of bush standing at a little portable "prezdent" podium in front of the alamo, wearing buckskins, rattling away with a banner drapped across "the 'mo" reading "mission accomplished"...

charley would'a had a ripper over that one... god bless 'em.
0 Replies