Jimmy Carter still seeking fair Florida vote

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:11 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52800-2004Sep26.html

After the debacle in Florida four years ago, former president Gerald Ford and I were asked to lead a blue-ribbon commission to recommend changes in the American electoral process. After months of concerted effort by a dedicated and bipartisan group of experts, we presented unanimous recommendations to the president and Congress. The government responded with the Help America Vote Act of October 2002. Unfortunately, however, many of the act's key provisions have not been implemented because of inadequate funding or political disputes.

....more
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 882 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:13 am
Go Jimmy.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:14 am
Yes, the political urban legend that black voters in Florida were harassed and intimidated on Election Day four years ago is making a comeback. Only yesterday Jimmy Carter, fresh from blessing Hugo Chavez's dubious victory in Venezuela, moaned that in 2000 "several thousand ballots of African Americans were thrown out on technicalities" in Florida, and that this year more black than (Republican) Hispanic felons are being disqualified to vote--as if all felons weren't supposed to be barred, regardless of race.
--------------------

Which leaves the "stolen election" crowd with these inconvenient facts: In 24 of the 25 Florida counties with the highest ballot spoilage rate, the county supervisor was a Democrat. In the 25th county, the supervisor was an Independent. And as for the "felon purge list," the Miami Herald found that whites were twice as likely to be incorrectly placed on the list as blacks.

The real spectacle here is that some Democrats are only too willing to exploit the painful history of black voter disenfranchisement for some short-term partisan advantage. And it just might backfire. Democrats played up the Florida fiasco in the 2002 midterm elections, repeatedly telling blacks that their votes hadn't been counted in 2000. Rather than being riled up, many black voters believed what they were told and stayed home.

More at: http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005682
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:16 am
Larry, do you see anything wrong with having a highly partisan election commission?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:33 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Larry, do you see anything wrong with having a highly partisan election commission?

I am not aware of the political affilitations of the FEC. Perhaps you could enlighten me on that.

http://www.fec.gov/members.htm
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:53 am
We're talking state of Florida...

Quote:
Four years ago, the top election official, Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris, was also the co-chair of the Bush-Cheney state campaign committee. The same strong bias has become evident in her successor, Glenda Hood, who was a highly partisan elector for George W. Bush
... is what I was referring to. Maybe I should have said 'election officials'.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 09:04 am
There's more here....

http://www.fec.gov/pages/tech3.htm#FLORIDA
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 09:12 am
How quickly they forget. Four years ago the Dems were promising (yes, promising) that Janet Reno would kick Jeb Bush's tush in the governor's race. I guess they didn't count too much on the fact that the voters could eventually figure out the butterfly ballot.

Carter has no right to tell anyone whether or not they can run. If he's such an advocate of civil rights, why does he think, then, that Nader should have none?

He needs to zip it up, lest even more of us figure out his very strange code of ethics.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 09:26 am
JW, are you talking about the same article we're talking about?

I think Carter has some valid points about the need for transparency and nonpartisanship in elections.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 04:58 pm
Freeduck - if the article contains the following passage, then yes.

Quote:
The top election official has also played a leading role in qualifying Ralph Nader as a candidate, knowing that two-thirds of his votes in the previous election came at the expense of Al Gore. She ordered Nader's name be included on absentee ballots even before the state Supreme Court ruled on the controversial issue.

Florida's governor, Jeb Bush, naturally a strong supporter of his brother, has taken no steps to correct these departures from principles of fair and equal treatment or to prevent them in the future.

It was obvious the Court would allow Nader to be on the ballot because he has that right as much as anyone. Contrary to most Dems who believe voters are stupid, voters in Florida know precisely what a vote for Nader means and it's their right to cast that vote!

Carter has an agenda and it isn't that hard to figure out:

Quote:
...but it should also be kept in mind that Carter also enjoys seeing the interests of the United States, especially when defined by Republican presidents, humiliated

PS I tried to reply earlier but A2K still seems to be off and on. If I were the paranoid type, I'd think I'd been disenfranchised...LOL.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:19 pm
Jimmy Carter? Sounds like a big improvement over the last time. Seems they sent Richard Daly to insure an accurate count.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:14 pm
JW, that passage was in the article, but I didn't make the connection that Jimmy Carter wanted Nader off the ballot. Rather, it seemed to indicate that the official was biased. The article was mostly about deficiencies in the election process in Florida.

You may be right that Carter has an agenda (who doesn't) but I still believe he makes valid points about the election process. And I think they can be addressed without whining about Democrats crying disenfranchisement.

I also tried to get in earlier so sorry if this is a late reply.
0 Replies

bruhahah

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 02:07 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
do you see anything wrong with having a highly partisan election commission?

Interesting that the partisan affiliation of these state election officials is considered highly relevant --enough so that Carter (and many Dem critics before him) seem to see no need to (f)actually demonstrate any impropriety in their actions, much less that their official actions led to anyone's being disenfranchised. (Note that the only partisan "impropriety" Carter's editorial alleges is based on the fact that allowing Nader on the ballot might help Bush, NOT that the action is actually illegal or unjust.)

Yet, at the same time, it is completely ignored that in EVERY area in which alleged disenfranchisement took place in 2000 the local election boards--which have the real, direct control over balloting procedures-- were controlled by DEMOCRATS (except for one, and that was headed by an independent).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 02:11 pm
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 03:09 pm
Let me look over your shoulder at that list of tyrants McG
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 08:30 am
Can tyrants be elected?
0 Replies