Aggh .... Computer problems are driving me crazy!

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:27 pm
I thought you (like me) had Spybot, Deb. I thought this was a different version. Maybe not! Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:28 pm
Now I am lost - isn't Spybot and Spybot Search and Destroy the same????
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:32 pm
You're asking ME, Deb? Laughing Laughing Laughing

(they probably are! I just wondered why timber suggested it. Assumed they were different. But maybe not! Confused )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:38 pm
I might just uninstall the (faulty) one I've got, Deb, & try reinstalling from the link above. How does that sound? Smile
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:52 pm
dlowan wrote:
Now I am lost - isn't Spybot and Spybot Search and Destroy the same????

As far as I know they are the same program.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:27 pm
Well, I ran my old copy of Spybot D&S ...
STILL got the DSO exploit message, despite trying for updates. (There weren't any updates>)

SO, deleted the old program & installed the one from the link above. Then downloaded all available updates.

Ran the new program & there it is AGAIN!: DSO exploit!

I give up!!!! Shocked Mad Confused Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:41 pm
If you do a search on the words "spybot DSO exploit", you will find many other people who are getting the same message with Spybot. I hope this may give you some incite as to how to troubleshoot the problem.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:52 pm
Later, colorbook, later! Confused
(Thanks & I WILL do that ... later. Smile )
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:53 pm
I've been having trouble with Spybot, also. It worked fine 'til I updated it a week or two ago. It runs through the bot check, going through over 17,000 items, but freezes after I click "fix the problem".

I haven't worried too much because I also run Ad-Aware and Spybot doesn't turn up too much, but I think I'll uninstall the program and then reinstall. I've had problems with it before, and that's done the trick, for whatever reason.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 09:01 pm
[size=7]It didn't work for me, mckenzie![/size]< whimper>
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 09:20 pm
Ahhhhh .... the old "DSO Exploit Bug" ... actually, if your Windows and IE are fully updated, you really have no problem. Essentially, what's happenin' there is that Spybot is not findin' the registry value it expects to find in your Internet Security settings. Actually, I thought that bug in Spybot had been fixed, but apparently not, though I just ran it on a couple of my machines, and it didn't come up. Anyhow, try DSOSTOP, a free, reliable automated registry editing tool that will set the values to those Spybot expects to see. Read and follow the instructions on the download page, particularly the part about closing all browsers and media players, and running the fix while off-line.

If you're feelin' adventurous, I can step ya thru manually editing your registry, but I'd rather not run a neophyte thru that ... too much room for error.

Again, if your Windows and IE are fully updated, you are not vulnerable to the DSO exploit. An MS security update patched that hole a long, long time ago.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:45 am
Many thanks, timberlandko, I will try that next. This is an education! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:48 am
timberlandko wrote:
If you're feelin' adventurous, I can step ya thru manually editing your registry, but I'd rather not run a neophyte thru that ... too much room for error.

I wouldn't want to put you through it either, timber! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:48 am
Indeed - I am fully patched and plastered with stuff from Windows - but I will try the url you recommend later - thank you!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:55 am
Please send a pic of your patched & plastered self, bunny person! I loved this morning's bunny at the computer one! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:02 am
After downloading latest Windows patches:

http://www.computermoneymakers.com/stiitchesbunny.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:13 am
Laughing

Bravo!
That was QUICK!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 05:53 am
Night night......

http://www.jordanmarie.com/jord/images/bluebunny_rattle_M.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 05:23 pm
Awwwwwwwwwww! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 05:26 pm
Ya gotta laugh: just now I turned on my computer & was surprised to discover that I'd performed an "illegal operation"! Surprised Confused Then found I couldn't continue without turning the wretched thing off & starting again! Evil or Very Mad Just when I thought everything was hunky dory! <sigh>
0 Replies