Aggh .... Computer problems are driving me crazy!

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 07:11 pm
This is just a vent .... Please, no need for any A2K techie to to think there's yest another problem to solve at a busy time like this. So, RELAX, OK? Smile

I think my computer is having a breakdown! Shocked Confused Well, if not my computer, then I'm having one!

First, I discover that my Spybot is not functioning because of some technical glitch ... Try updating, no improvement.

Then, I discover that my Norton anti virus is not functioning due to some "internal" problem with Norton. I tried to follow their (lengthy!) remedial directions, but to no avail .... It works, then it doesn't ... Rolling Eyes

Then, A2K has it's glitches of last night off & on, off & on ... But, there was I thinking that some of the problems were at MY end! ... And maybe they were!

THEN, this morning I discover that I can't send or receive emails! Evil or Very Mad Shocked I make a number of attempts, turn my computer on & off & try again ... No go!

THEN I ring my ISP & receive a recorded message in response: "Australia on Line is experiencing technical problems. Engineers are working to rectify the faults. Please ring back later.) Crying or Very sad Confused Shocked

Well, here I am, typing this, & feeling pretty damn fed up & befuddled.
Why, oh why do I feel I've been personally singled out for torture by some evil, cruel & twisted technical terrorist? <whimper>
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,361 • Replies: 74
No top replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 07:17 pm
I'm gonna turn this cursed, bloody machine off now, before some fresh disaster happens! Confused
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 07:25 pm
MsOlga - me too! I was first told to update my SpyAssassin only to be shut down due to illegal operations (send an error report to MSN? You betcha). Then my hotmail kept telling me the server was too busy for it to get my mail. Then I gave up and went to play a PC game I love and now I hear that I have no CD ROMs on this computer! Since when? I miss my Bloodmoon!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 08:23 pm
And then we lost a2k again.... wow, what a rough time they must be having!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 08:36 pm
I've lost it about four times in the last few hours, giving me wide opportunity to mop the kitchen floor, etc.
I think it is a matter of reestablishment with all the servers enroute....
not just the big a2k server(s) but all the wee ones, or big ones, between those and all of us.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 08:43 pm
I hold a half-hour "These f*cking computers make me want to f*cking strangle someone!" seminar/rant/tantrum at random times everyday at work. I feel your pain, believe me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 08:44 pm
I have phone problems on top of everything else. Old house, old phone lines, everything's very tetchy. I spend way too much time glaring at the little lights on my modem and willing the last three to go on and stay on...

-sigh-

Luddites might have a point.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:56 am
YAY! How nice to see 3 new A2K update messages waiting on my Outlook Express! Very Happy I think this is the 5th time I've tried today .... Success at Last! Very Happy

And ... My ISP fixed the email problem earlier, then it stuffed up again ... But now it's working! Yay! Very Happy

AND somehow, with the changes dictated to me over the phone by my ISP, my Norton anti virus has kicked started it self! Yay! Very Happy

AND this damn machine is working much faster, since I tinkered with it, too! Yay! Very Happy

Spybot is still dodgy, but hey, what a big improvement on this morning, hey? Very Happy

Amazing how this cranky old machine can make or break my outlook for the day, though .....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:56 am
sozobe wrote:
Luddites might have a point.

Oh, we do - several....and not just on top of our heads...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 06:59 am
Hello, littlek, osso, kicky, Soz & Deb! Very Happy So nice to see you all again! Seems like ages! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:01 am
msolga wrote:
YAY! How nice to see 3 new A2K update messages waiting on my Outlook Express! Very Happy I think this is the 5th time I've tried today .... Success at Last! Very Happy

And ... My ISP fixed the email problem earlier, then it stuffed up again ... But now it's working! Yay! Very Happy

AND somehow, with the changes dictated to me over the phone by my ISP, my Norton anti virus has kicked started it self! Yay! Very Happy

AND this damn machine is working much faster, since I tinkered with it, too! Yay! Very Happy

Spybot is still dodgy, but hey, what a big improvement on this morning, hey? Very Happy

Amazing how this cranky old machine can make or break my outlook for the day, though .....

Msolga - your spybot is, I think, doing what mine does - and I meant to have a good look at your thread - it has gone, hasn't it?

Can you repost (mebbe here?) what yours keeps finding - and anything you can recall of what folk said to do ?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:03 am
Editing, quoting, editing! *some* Ms. Luddite has become rawther proficient...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:06 am
kickycan wrote:
I hold a half-hour "These f*cking computers make me want to f*cking strangle someone!" seminar/rant/tantrum at random times everyday at work. I feel your pain, believe me.

A beer or two with a couple of friends would help.

Join Joe and me on Thursday!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:13 am
Deb

The gist of it was (I think) that Spybot had a fault. (A virus?) Apparently doing the update thing was supposed to fix it, but in my case it didn't.

Are you getting this:

"DSO exploit
HKE USERS/Default
software/Microsoft/Windows
-registry change" message?

That's it!
Try updating & see what happens.
Good luck!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:16 am
sozobe wrote:
Editing, quoting, editing! *some* Ms. Luddite has become rawther proficient...

Which Ms Luddite are you referring to Soz? There are a number here. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:38 am
All y'all! Nice quoting there, yerself.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:40 am
All y'all! Nice quoting there, yerself.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:43 am
12:43 am here in Melbourne.
We're back! Surprised
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:44 am
Glad to hear you're not as frustrated as you were yesterday, msolga...have you considered switching ISP's? Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 08:48 am
I've certainly considered it, colorbook, but I'm paid up for a year! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies