Doonesbury $10,000 proof offer outcome

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 11:32 am
Whatever happened to the Doonesbury offer of $10,000 for proof Bush served in the Alabama Guard?

Let's face it, our favorite comic strip is frequently obscure or inconsistent, and key characters are sometimes left stranded for years. Long-suffering readers are within their rights to demand some full explanations. Each week a trusted Town Hall intern will harvest only the best questions e-mailed to us via the "Ask GBT" form, then forward them to the home office in Manhattan. Selected questions will be personally answered by G.B. Trudeau or one of his top aides, and immediately posted. As each new Q&A is added, the previous one will be archived, thus slowly building a remarkable primary source for scholars in the years ahead.

I see the Texans for Truth are offering $50,000 to anyone who can prove Dubya served in the Alabama Guard. What ever happened to Doonesbury's offer of $10,000 for the same thing? If you announced a winner I missed it.
--David L., Indialantic, FL

With all the current Swift Boat Vets and Bush Guard brouhaha I was just wondering -- did anyone ever collect on the $10,000 reward for confirming Bush's Guard service in Alabama? Thanks.
-- C.A., Milton, MA

Garry Tradeau answers:

We wish the Texans for Truth luck. Though it's clearly in the president's interest to have his Guard story confirmed, two presidential campaigns have as yet failed to inspire the appearance of a single definitive corroborator. Nor did Doonesbury's $10K reward do the trick. Our Bush Guard contest, announced in the strip, inspired an impressive number of entries, but most proved distinctly un-authoritative, albeit surreally entertaining. Nonetheless, first, second and third-place winners were selected and their Doonesbury prizes shipped off, and GBT made good on his $10K contribution to the USO (he saw no reason why the organization should lose out just because a credible witness couldn't be flushed).

While waiting for the recent Texans for Truth reward offer to produce results, we invite you to peruse our contest winners and selections from the Bush Guard testimony.

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/faqs/bush_guard_faq2.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 419 • Replies: 1
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 11:42 am
Too funny! Thank you, BBB.

My favorite entry:

My mom was born in Alabama, and before she died she told me that her former next door neighbor knew a guy whose cousin dated a girl who worked at the phone company whose supervisor had a sister who dated a guy whose brother went to the University of Alabama, and his R.O.T.C. instructor told this guy's brother that George W. Bush served in the National Guard in Alabama.
-- Tommy G., Charleston, SC
0 Replies