Getting a toddler to brush his teeth

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:40 am
I used to struggle and fight with my 2 1/2 year old to get his teeth brushed. I read in Parenting magazing to make it a game and they made a few suggestions, which I can't think of off the top of my head. One night, I took a suggestion a step further. I sat my son down on the counter beside the sink and we went looking for animals in his mouth. Big ones, little ones, all different kinds. I talked about what they were doing in there. How I couldn't believe that such a big elephant could fit in his mouth. I would move his head up and down when I found the kangaroos and bunnies and frogs. I make animal sounds like a ventriloquist, too. He gets a big giggle out of it all and we no longer struggle AT ALL. I hope this helps anyone who has the same trouble. . .I wish someone would've suggested it to me, oh, a year and a half ago!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 758 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:48 am
Hi Brookeann!

Great ideas. Yep, games are a good way to do it. This was an early favorite rhyme (from "Babybug" magazine):

"We brush, brush, brush our teeth
We brush them left to right
We brush them up and down
To keep them clean and white!"
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:22 am
That's funny brookeann, I do the same with my little one, but I use Sesame Street characters. I will say, I think I see Elmo in your mouth, open up, we need to get him out. The big problem I have is my daughter wants to do this herselfÂ…"I do it." So I alternate and say, "Mommy do it first and then you do it." I also give her a little "reward" once we finish brushing. Believe it or not my daughter loves to wash her hands and asks all the time to "wash hands." So I tell her she brushes her teeth first and then we wash our hands.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 02:19 pm
It's simple. You just use positive reinforcement. After you get him to brush you reward him with candy. No wait! Ohhhh! Forget it!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:03 pm
We made a big game out of it at first. He got a sticker on the calendar every day after he dry-brushed his teeth (followed by me brushing again with a spot of toothpaste.) When he got all seven stickers each week, we would go to the dentist's office and they'd "carefully check" the calendar and give him a helium balloon...his choice of color. (Our pediatric dentist's office is close to our house.) They suggested this, and it was a big hit with him for several months. Eventually he didn't care about the balloons anymore, but by then we'd established the habit.

He's 10-1/2 now, and still no cavities!
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:04 am
I tell him that he has bugs on his teeth and we need to brush them off or they will eat his teeth and they will start hurting. Maybe I am scaring him But it works. we have never had a problem brushing. He tells me before bed, I need to get the bugs off my teeth:)
0 Replies