ANGELS IN AMERICA 11 EMMYS, THE SOPRANOS Top Drama Series

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:11 am
from Variety

HBO skein is Emmy's most decorated miniseries and it was noted more than once that Oscar would have had a field day. Studio execs who originally passed on "Angels in America" should note HBO's risk-taking move landed them 11 Emmy wins and countless accolades.

'SOPRANOS' HITS A HIGH NOTE
Emmys nod to mob, get 'Arrested'
Score two for the critics, as media darlings "The Sopranos" and "Arrested Development" walked away with the top Emmy prizes Sunday night. The HBO mob drama won its first-ever outstanding drama Emmy after five tries, while the low-rated but highly praised Fox laffer stunned by scoring the outstanding comedy statuette.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,865 • Replies: 21
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:17 am
Pacino did go on did he not? He's the best though.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:33 am
Yeah, Pacino did and I can say I was disappointed at what he had to say. Not that he said anything horrible or bad; just I expected a little more from him.

By the way, I have not seen any of those shows
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:35 am
Linkat wrote:
Yeah, Pacino did and I can say I was disappointed at what he had to say. Not that he said anything horrible or bad; just I expected a little more from him.

By the way, I have not seen any of those shows

well you should......
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:37 am
I ddin't watch the whole broadcast, and missed Pacino. I thought Meryl Streep was pretty funny though.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:40 am
I had to switch the tv's in the bar over to karaoke right after Pacino......
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:48 am
I guess I should polar. Seeing they must be incredible to get all those awards. The problem is I don't have HBO and am too cheap to pay for it.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:50 am
Linkat wrote:
I guess I should polar. Seeing they must be incredible to get all those awards. The problem is I don't have HBO and am too cheap to pay for it.

go to aol on line friends....find an unattractive friend with low self esteem, no social skills, and money. Hang at their house and watch HBO on their big screen. Keep the lights low and drink a lot. :wink:
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:19 am
I could handle that bi-polar, but only if they provide the drinks!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:22 am
Linkat wrote:
I could handle that bi-polar, but only if they provide the drinks!

have you ever been to aol online friends? That should not be a problem...horny desperate mutants the lot.......I have dj'ed some of their parties......
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:23 am
No I can't say that I have. From the sounds of it, it may not be worth the risk. Even with lots of drinks.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:23 am
Angels in America just came out on DVD, if you're interested.

http://search.able2know.com/About/9392.html
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:45 am
mac11 wrote:
Angels in America just came out on DVD, if you're interested.

http://search.able2know.com/About/9392.html

ah, a little redirect from mac 11. Good man. It really was a superbly done piece of work.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:16 pm
I'd say a rental could be in order for Linkat -- Part One on one weekend and Part Two on the next?

It topped, BTW, "Roots," the previous king of miniseries by 3 statuettes. Thomas Newman who composed the score wasn't even nominated -- he also composed the theme to "Six Feet Under."

Streep was funny -- you turned it off too soon, Bi-Polar. She said of her nominated co-star Emma Thompson that she would hold a grudge for the rest of her life. (All in jest?)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:30 pm
Thomas Newman's biggy was, of course, "Finding Nemo" and he is also responsible for the score to "The Shawshank Redemption." He is the son of Alfred Newman. For the full list of prime-time EMMYS and creative EMMYS (not announced at the show):

http://www.emmys.com/

Curiously "Star Trek Enterprise" won for soundtrack and is a rehash of Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek scores. Ridiculous.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:57 pm
I think a rental sounds ideal. Hollywood video's rentals are for several days not overnight, which may work nicely for a miniseries. I am very curious about this as it won so many Emmys and with all the stars in the miniseries. I do like Meryl Streep and Pacino.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:17 pm
Hey, Mr. Wizard. I didn't watch the Emmys nor have I seen the HBO shows, but I was surprised to find out that Robert DeNiro was defending his mafia roles and that he's not even Italian.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20040911/ap_on_en_mo/people_de_niro

I really like Al Pacino, and sorry I missed his comments.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:46 am
He's part Italian with an Italian surname but I don't see how that matters. He portrays a real person in movies like "Goodfellas" from the memoirs of the Ray Liotta character. I think that is his keystone performance. He's played it for comedy which might have lead to the perception of stereotyping. The Mafia and the Cosa Nostra are criminal factions with definite roots in Italian history. The complaints are pretty lame if you ask me. There's been Jewish characters in all the films. This has to be the same crowd who would picket "The Sopranos" if it had ever been shown in a theater. They may feel helpless that they can't.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:54 am
I know, Mr. Wizard. Somehow it just surprised me that he would have to defend his roles.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:03 am
He shouldn't have to defend portraying a character from any ethnic background. He has also played the heavy in non-MAFIA films (unless it's perceived that Frankenstein's monster was Italian) and played in a film that was pro-gay ("Flawless.") Pacino was in a film that was obviously full of gay stereotypes.
0 Replies