Are You a Volunteer?

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 06:50 pm
husker, that was very informative. Wink

I'd like to be more involved with 5k runs, etc for the American Cancer Society. It's not volunteering, but you are giving your time to a worthy cause. This has to hit the New Year's Resolution list for me.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:32 am
What an interesting and impressive group.

Soz, I'm not at all surprised that you are running and organizing things. I'm also not surprised that you do a bit of problem solving. Your talents in these areas shine through, even in a forum with a zillion members.

Boomer, I'm delighted to see you. It's been a while. I hadn't heard about declaring 9/11 a national day of volunteering. Considering the huge number of volunteers involved in the aftermath, it seems entirely fitting to me. I won't hold my breath.

Panzade, I, too, got my volunteering ways from my mother, who worked diligently for a variety of cancer organizations and worked tirelessly to get a new nursing home built. I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with the literacy program. I've thought about doing that on occasion. I always worry that it will take more time than I can spare.

Linkat, I love that you're reading to first graders. (Not that I'm pooh-poohing the other things you do.) I have wonderful memories of being read to as a child, and I've wondered whether kids now were still getting that particular kind of attention. I thank you for them.

George, I'm glad to hear that you donate blood regularly. I've sometimes wondered whether people think about doing this only when there's an emergency or a crisis. Glad to know there are folks like you who don't wait for the crisis.

Phoenix, I have no doubt that you are making real progress with your student. My own experience as a tutor has taught me that a bit of one-on-one help and attention can go a long way.

Walter, I know how difficult it is to care for an aging parent. This is a volunteer job that saps your strength and energy. Hang in there, kid.

jp, It's good to hear that you are sharing your talents with others. I encountered some major problems when I offered my professional services to places for free. I'm glad it's worked out well for you and the people you've helped.

Diane, Congrats on the award and on the service you've performed. I know that this subject is near and dear to you heart. Tutoring kids is a challenge. They're generally less motivated than adults.

Joahaeyo, I agree with Diane that it takes a tremendous commitment to be a foster owner for dogs. And from my perspective, it takes a lot of strength to volunteer at an animal shelter. I'd end up taking every animal home.

Husker, I admire you pith.

You're all doing a mitzvah. I thank you.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:44 am
Well, it's good to know you're being of service as well, Roberta. Smile

Tutoring, imo, can be very frustrating at times.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:36 am
Roberta

Quite some time ago I was heavily involved in community radio, for a long time. Political stuff. Then helped coordinate a residents' group at my previous address. But lately, nothing. I don't know why that is. I'd like to do something, but am unsure of what ...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:48 am
Thank you Roberta for the kind words. One thing that I can say is so positive is the great support from my company. I would not be able to do all I have had the opportunity to without company support. As any of you know, volunteering can take a lot of your time. If my work did not allow and support these efforts, I would not be able to do these things. More companies should get involved and allow their employees the time and manpower for these noble causes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:50 am
And by the way - reading to these kids, the adults get as much or more from them. All it takes is 45 minutes from your lunch hour once a week or every other week. Most people can squeeze that into their busy schedules. And the kids are great! They are so enthusiastic; you makes you more productive when you go back to work. You have a positive attitude and renewed energy.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:52 am
'berta-The fear of being overwhelmed by time costraints was ever present for me. I found that I was able to make time by cutting away the superflous. Alas, the T.V. was the first to go. New Years Day 2000 it was moved to the garage.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:18 am
Joahaeyo, I agree that tutoring can be very frustrating. However, tutoring very motivated adults is not bad at all.

olga, Sometimes we need to devote our time to ourselves. I'm sure that when you're ready to jump back in the fray, something will occur to you.

Linkat, You're right. Without the support of the company your work for, you wouldn't be able to do what you do. Lots of companies are not that generous.

Panzade, No tv?! Now I'm really impressed.
0 Replies