Coolidge 1.1 R
Ford 1.1 R
Eisenhower 0.9 R
G. Bush 0.6 R
G.W. Bush -0.7 R
Hoover -9.0 R

note: numbers are in percent
http://americanassembler.com/issues/economy/job_stats.html

It won't surprise me one bit if you have all seen this statistic, or one just like it, before. I find it odd though that I haven't. I don't follow a lot of american media off course, but I'm not completely cut off from the world, and with something like this you'd expect it to be all over the web, not to mention television. I can promise you that if any off our (norwegian) parties could put together a statistic like this, voters would never hear the end of it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 830 • Replies: 8
No top replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 05:00 pm
Well we know why George W. Bush's job numbers are in the negative... because of the recession Clinton left us in. Clinton let the dot.com's die too! Many of the jobs Clinton made obviously did not have staying power... This was known in the tech industry before George W. was even in office. Al Gore did not start the internet he sat back and watched it fall. George H. Bush was the one who opened the internet for civilian use. Remember his "thousand points of light" speech? Well this illuded to the future of the internet and everyone being connected. The mismanagement of the internet by the clinton administration has led to the job loss that we are coming out of with the Bush tax breaks.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 05:49 pm
RexRed wrote:
Well we know why George W. Bush's job numbers are in the negative... because of the recession Clinton left us in. Clinton let the dot.com's die too! Many of the jobs Clinton made obviously did not have staying power... This was known in the tech industry before George W. was even in office. Al Gore did not start the internet he sat back and watched it fall. George H. Bush was the one who opened the internet for civilian use. Remember his "thousand points of light" speech? Well this illuded to the future of the internet and everyone being connected. The mismanagement of the internet by the clinton administration has led to the job loss that we are coming out of with the Bush tax breaks.

lol Sorry, you can't pin 4 years of job losses on Clinton. Losses during the first few montsh of Bush's term maybe.. but not 4 years worth.

But to Einherjar's post: It's been mentioned quite a bit in the US press. Not necessarily with an actual chart as you've listed here but there has been quite a bit of commentary on Bush being one of a very few President's to have a net loss of jobs during his term in ofice.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 06:14 pm
fishin' wrote:
It's been mentioned quite a bit in the US press. Not necessarily with an actual chart as you've listed here but there has been quite a bit of commentary on Bush being one of a very few President's to have a net loss of jobs during his term in ofice.

I knew Bush had a net loss of jobs, I didn't know all of the six last democrats generated more jobs than any of the last seven Republicans.

The chart looks better like this:

D .... 5.3 .... Roosevelt
D .... 3.8 .... Johnson
D .... 3.1 .... Carter
D .... 2.5 .... Truman
D .... 2.4 .... Clinton
D .... 2.3 .... Kennedy
R .... 2.2 .... Nixon
R .... 2.1 .... Reagan
R .... 1.1 .... Coolidge
R .... 1.1 .... Ford
R .... 0.9 .... Eisenhower
R .... 0.6 .... G. Bush
R .... -0.7 ... G.W. Bush
R .... -9.0 ... Hoover

The presidents are sorted by job gain/loss, now take a look at the party affiliations. Am I the only one who sees a pattern here?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 06:30 pm
fishin' wrote:
RexRed wrote:

lol Sorry, you can't pin 4 years of job losses on Clinton. Losses during the first few montsh of Bush's term maybe.. but not 4 years worth.

But to Einherjar's post: It's been mentioned quite a bit in the US press. Not necessarily with an actual chart as you've listed here but there has been quite a bit of commentary on Bush being one of a very few President's to have a net loss of jobs during his term in ofice.

You can't forget the compaines cookin the books, which all took place under Clintons watch. That had a big effect on the job market as well as the stock market. I'm not blaming Clinton for those companies, but it did happen while he was in office.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 06:39 pm
What you see is one of several patterns. Any one by itself fails to tell the whole story however. Map those job gains against economic trends, population gains, etc.. and you'll see several different pictures.

You just happened to find a site that thinks job creation is the only telling stat out there.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 08:17 pm
fishin'

8 years of Clinton could take more that 4 years to correct. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 05:56 am
fishin' wrote:
What you see is one of several patterns. Any one by itself fails to tell the whole story however. Map those job gains against economic trends, population gains, etc.. and you'll see several different pictures.
A simplification of the truth? Certainly. Omitting the conditions under with these achievements were made? Absolutely. But when did that ever stop politicians? It just boggles my mind that in an election in which jobs are an important issue, and in which a statistic as one sided as this can be drawn, it isn't. I suspect it has something to do with your two party system. When a party contains too much diversity I suppose it becomes hard for anyone to run for office on party records, although I'm still a bit surprised. Where I'm from this would be dragged to every rally as a visual aid.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:31 am
fishin-when someone is bound to ignore the record of the sitting president (well its 9/11 and Clinton's fault) theres nothing you can do to try to help them. They arte the WStepford Republicans
GW Bush has had a negative record in the performance of securities also .
0 Replies