Percent of Dems / Repubs Registered And Poll Results

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 02:26 pm
Was just checking up on the news and came across an article questioning the validity of polls. Gallup, it claims, skews its polling to Republicans in its sample - consistantly more Republicans are questioned than Democrats.

One point brought up is that by doing so, the pollsters (not just Gallup is involved according to the link), can claim a close race or that Bush is slightly ahead for the months leading up to the election, leaving less doubt about the validity of the vote results in the mind of the public when Bush wins.

That made me wonder what the percentage is of registered voters Repub. v. Dem. Anyone have any stats on that? I can't do a search (its been hijacked) so if anyone can find the info and link it here, I would appreciate it. Based on the 2000 election I would expect that there are more registered Democrats than Republicans but would like some numbers if anyone knows.

The polling info I was reading is here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/9/17/04339/5885 I have no idea whether it is correct or not. It just got me to thinking about this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 486 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 06:15 pm
I'd have to dig around for a while but the last numbers I saw showed the parties to be about the same. If I'm remembering correctly the Dems had a 1% point edge (it was something like 38% Dems/37% Reps.).

The link you listed won't open at the moment but complaints about polls and polling are fairly common (especially when they don't show what the person complaing wants them to show). But when you put the results of a few dozen major polls alongside each oither and they all show the same trends it's hard to claim that one or two are scamming the system.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 08:46 pm
I did find some stats indicating we are lucky to get 50% registered voter turnout, with the highest recent turnout being that of the 2000 election at 51%, but they didn't breakdown by party, or indicate how many were registered to which party.
0 Replies