Pro-reproductive rights

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 09:07 pm
My wife and I coach womens Gymnastics and some of my high school /college aged students were disucussing pro-choice VS pro-life during their cooldown/stretch time (at the end of workout). After a short while I managed to steer the conversation into the relatively safer grounds of how politicians use this issue to divide communities (generally I like for the girls to be able to discuss openly anything on their minds, but I also need them to work together as a team and didn't want to let them divide themselves on over an issue which has nothing to do with the purpose that they were there for. Although I know most of them were on the same page on the issue I didn't really feel like the gym was the proper place to discuss it.).

This conversation made me really sit down and think about abortion for the first time since my wife and I got pregnant (we're due any day now with twin boys Very Happy TYVM)

Personally I always considered myself pro-choice, simply out of pragmatics (I feel that women with unwanted pregnancies are going to attempt to get abortions wether their available leagally or not, the best we can do is try to keep them safe.). Under the current conditions of our society, and a general concern for the young women I know and love and teach, I still stand by that opinion. However watching my sons grow inside my wife has really given me a different perspective on the issue and I can understand where pro-lifers are coming from. I was in love with, and excited/afraid for my boys from the moment I first found they were on their way into the world.

So here's what I'm wondering, I personally would support making abortion illeagale (with exceptions for rape and/or incest) IF and only IF ALL effective birth control were made available privately to every individual through public funding (I know that some forms of birth control are already available to the qualifying poor, but as most of you women out there know it is often not the most effective (condoms) or may have nasty side effects). Effectually, as a national community, trying to circumvent the pregnancy to begin with, so abortions are not necessary. Giving every individual the opportunity to take control of his/her (I'd also like to see more effective male birth control) reproductive rights.

I know some people will reject this for religious reasons (the "spilled seed" argument for christians or the "every sperm is a good sperm" argument for those of you who worship Monty Python :wink: ), and that's ok. I wouldn't want to see this mandated for everyone. And I also realize that a lot of people belive that if you don't want to have a baby you simply shouldn't have sex. But lets face it, That isn't going to solve the problem of unwanted pregnancy or abortion.

Lastly please no rants about how Liberals just want to spend and spend and spend every penny on people who can't take responsibility for themselves or their actions. The argument here is about abortion/reproductive rights, not about how high your taxes are.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 521 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Jim

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 07:20 am
Coach - having our three children is also what turned me strongly pro-life.

Starting in about 5th grade (we're talking 1966 here) we started getting "the birds and bees" classes in school. I've lost count of how many times in public school I've been taught this material, but it has to be at least a dozen. Very graphic instruction in the use of contraceptives was included in most of these classes. I really have a hard time believing that anyone in this day and age (especially with the internet available) doesn't have access to information on contraception. I haven't priced condoms lately, but I also have a hard time believing they would strain anyone's budget.

I got reamed out on Abuzz a few years back for making this suggestion, but here goes again - I think it's safe to say that we all agree it's the woman's sole choice if and when she has a child. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say this decision should be made before the roll in the hay, and not after there's another heart beating inside her body.

We're expected to drive cars responsibly. We're expected to drink alcohol and burn camp fires responsibly. What's so horrible about expecting people to have sex responsibly?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 07:58 am
Jim wrote:
...........We're expected to drive cars responsibly. We're expected to drink alcohol and burn camp fires responsibly. What's so horrible about expecting people to have sex responsibly?

so you are suggesting that victims of a 'drunk driving' accident not be sent to the hospital, but just allow 'nature' to take it's course; and let the fires burn, don't try to put them out?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 08:03 am
No - I'm suggesting that people don't drive drunk. Guess that makes me an evil Neanderthal, right?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 10:26 am
We desire that people should have sex responsibly, Jim; expecting it is a different matter. Experience suggests that that is an unrealist expectation, at least in a small but important minority.

I remain pro choice on this one, which isn't quite the same as being pro abortion.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 10:43 am
Planned Parenthood makes birth control devices available to everyone in communities on a sliding scale fee basis, so it's already out there, coachryan. What exactly is it you are wanting? The gov't to do what is already being done in the private sector?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 03:12 pm
So men controling women is something new? It wasn't that long ago when the predominant belief was that women had no part in creating the child that grew inside their own bodies. The man "planted the seed" as it were, and the woman's body was nothing more than a place for it to grow. Women were the dirt on the farm, and they were treated like it. For the dirt to reject the "seed" was unthinkable. And it still is unthinkable to people with that anachronistic ideology.

Religions in the Western World were and still are almost exclusively patriarchal and ego-centered. Nothing has changed and the children are leaving the church in droves. Thus the church is crumbling, but has yet to be replaced. Anti-abortion is merely a last ditch attempt to shore up man's control over the church and the woman.
0 Replies