Election 2004: The food service analogy

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:27 pm
http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/000184.html

Election 2004: The Foodservice Analogy
Posted by Brian Sack in Politics . <snip>

You live in a town with two restaurants. They're across the street from each other. They've been there forever. They have similar cuisine. Neither one is particularly thrilling, but it's all the town has to offer aside from a place way on the outskirts of town that most folks don't want to drive to.

You've been eating at one place for a few years. They have really good meatloaf, but a lot of crap side dishes.

The place across the street has a bad reputation for meatloaf. They're known for their side dishes. Their prices are a little cheaper too, so they attract college kids with less sophisticated palates.

That place claims to be under new management and suggests they have better meatloaf than what you're eating. But, you've heard the new chef is kind of a jerk. He claims to have studied with master chefs in France, though no one can vouch for him and he won't show you his degree.

Meanwhile, you're getting a little sick of the meatloaf you've been eating because every once in a while there's some gristle. The atmosphere gets on your nerves because they won't change the radio. And the chef keeps insisting that every dish come with a side of Brussels sprouts.

Some folks want to try the meatloaf across the street, even though they don't trust the chef. Some folks are happy with the meatloaf here - to the point of denying there's any gristle in it.

A fat guy in a baseball cap makes a documentary suggesting there's mousecrap in the meatloaf, while a bunch of patrons accuse the other restaurant of pooping in their side dishes.

As a result, the majority of folks filter out of both restaurants and stand in the middle of the street debating whether or not to check out the restaurant on the outskirts of town. Eventually they decide it's too much of a hassle to get to. Citing the lesser of two evils, they head back in to the restaurant that they think has less fecal matter on the flatware.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 650 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:52 pm
Well, as a chef, I know that the food inspectors allow a certain amount of fecal matter in all food products. Yep, fecal matter, rat hairs, insect carcasses....it's a veritable free-for-all, provided you stick to the rules. Uh oh, I think I just contradicted myself? My bad.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:56 pm
Funny, I feel hungry and nauseous at the same time... Shocked
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:58 pm
And then the Meatloaf Lovers for Truth start saying that not only is gristle good for you but that the other guys are cheaters using Velvetta on the mac and cheese.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:59 pm
It will be an interesting election. Thank god I'm Canadian.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:03 pm
Yeah Cav! You get all the nasty side-effects and none of the voting power. Ain't it great Laughing

Oh well - at least they can't take away our healthcare.

cavfancier wrote:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:04 pm
cavfancier wrote:

You're canadian? We'll need to add some bacon to this story.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:48 pm
Mmmm.....bacon....make mine double-smoked please.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:51 pm
...and hold the gristle.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:52 pm
Yeah, and trim the rind.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:52 pm
What happens if you don't like meatloaf?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Mmmm.....bacon....make mine double-smoked please.

Bacon...blech... or to quote the team supreme

Vincent : Want some bacon?
Jules : No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent : Are you Jewish?
Jules : Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent : Why not?
Jules : Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent : Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules : Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy m******r. Pigs sleep and root in s**t. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got enough sense enough to disregard its own feces.
Vincent : How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules : I don't eat dog either.
Vincent : Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules : I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent : Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules : Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' m******n' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:54 pm
You run like a bat out of hell...(I slay myself sometimes). Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:55 pm
Fedral, who the hell is Jules?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 03:00 pm
LOL sorry, quote is from 'Pulp Fiction'

Jules = Samuel L Jackson

Vincent = John Travolta
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 03:01 pm
Ahh.....I remember now.....Laughing It sounded familiar, but I haven't seen the movie in a long time.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 03:03 pm
Great quote Fedral...that's one of my favorite scenes from a movie!
0 Replies