Democrats & Republican

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:18 am
hi all, i'm a student from China.

Now, i'm doing some work on the political system in the U.S. and i want to consult you here:

1) What are the difference between the points in the two parties on the issue of Civil Rights, Abortion, Taxes, Welfare.

2) What is everyone's idea about the right on bearing arms in U.S. ?

thanks very much for the help Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 607 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:27 am
Re: Democrats & Republican
ppbetter wrote:

1) What are the difference between the points in the two parties on the issue of Civil Rights, Abortion, Taxes, Welfare.

Civil Rights

The Democrats tend to place a greater emphasis on Civil Rights than do Republicans, but by and large the core positions are the same.

Abortion

There is a slight tendency for Republicans to be against and Democrats to be for.

Taxes

Republicans tend to favor less taxation and government social services (while tending to favor more military spending) than do Democrats.

Welfare

This is where there is the biggest difference of the items you listed. Republicans tend to strongly oppose such social programs. Democrats less so.

Quote:
2) What is everyone's idea about the right on bearing arms in U.S. ?

I fear you may well have doomed your topic to being another one for the passionate gun fans to rant on.
0 Replies

ppbetter

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:53 am
thanks
thanks...

now, i would say that the Democratic party is the more liberal party; the Republican Party is more conservative.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:37 pm
ppbetter--

While I respect the opinions of the previous poster, I am concerned that you don't have more of the specifics.

Republicans also worked for Civil Rights, but consider it important to treat everyone equally, without special laws for groups of people. We may argue against Affirmative Action (a special law for equality for blacks), but we seek to assist blacks and everyone else by improving the economy--so that ALL people have the same chance to improve their lives.

George Bush has more people of color and women in his cabinet that any Democrat predecessor. A Republican appointed the first black Supreme Justice.

Taxes-- Republicans want less government, so we try not to add new departments, and tax less. We feel people need to make more decisions with their own money. We feel so many social programs aren't necessary if we support industry and business. Of course, since we're at war, we're spending quite more than usual--but after the military increases subside, things will get back to normal.

I can't improve on Craven's Abortion comment, but to say an increasing number of Republicans understand we can't turn back the basic right to abortion.

I guess you could say, for the most part, Republicans focus on the rights of the one--while Democrats tend to favor the rights of groups.

Republicans are rather vociferous in their belief that we should retain the right to bear arms, as is a basic right in our Constitution. Many Democrats want to impede this right.

Republicans want our judges to stick close to the Constitution, and Democrats tend to want to re-invent it. IMO.
0 Replies