Federal handouts bad (except when we need them.)

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 06:47 am
Isn't it interesting that all of the southeastern states who supported Bush and the Republican Party, with an implicit belief in a limited federal government, are transformed into bleeding heart liberals when it comes to their own problems.

Remember the response of a southern governor to the plight of northeasterners faced with a blackout of electricity and freeziing temperatures? "Let the bastards freeze in the dark!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,109 • Replies: 10
No top replies

revel

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 12:58 pm
I have hard time believing that a governor of any state said that, but if you say he did, then man, the things people say today.

I know what you mean about republicans claiming they want limited government unless its something they want.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:15 pm
I'll preface this one by saying I'm a non-believer - so peoples know that I'm jokin' here...

Maybe this is god's way of telling the south not to vote republican again??
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:18 pm
Re: Federal handouts bad (except when we need them.)
BillyFalcon wrote:
Remember the response of a southern governor to the plight of northeasterners faced with a blackout of electricity and freeziing temperatures? "Let the bastards freeze in the dark!"

The quote originated with Ray Barnhart. He was in the Texas State Legislature but was never the Gov. of any state.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:35 pm
Somehow, it doesn't sound any better coming from a member of the legislative assembly.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:40 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Somehow, it doesn't sound any better coming from a member of the legislative assembly.

Perhaps not but.. I was just IDing the person that originally said it. It was fairly common bumper sticker slogan later on amongst a lot of environmental groups that wanted to ban coal mining because of acid rain concerns too.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 03:06 pm
Yes why doesn't Jeb Bush just go to some religious charities to rebuild Florida?

With all apologies to our much loved Fla brethren.....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 03:41 pm
Interesting point you make, Billy. I remember the same sentiment with the California power outages.
Maybe McGentrix will show up and give us an explanation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 03:59 pm
If you get it, it's a handout. If I get it, I have earned it - somehow or other. It's all a matter of perspective.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 04:05 pm
squinney wrote:
Interesting point you make, Billy. I remember the same sentiment with the California power outages.
Maybe McGentrix will show up and give us an explanation.

I think my liberalese translator is on the fritz. Doesn't yours work anymore?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 04:08 pm
I just thought you might have a different perspective for us, McG.
0 Replies