What’s in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 06:00 am
Many new parents end up with what has been dubbed “baby name remorse”, according to a new Mumsnet survey. The survey found that 18% of parents regret the name they chose for their offspring, although only 2% have actually changed their child’s name.
>link to survey<
Do you regret the name you gave your child?
Or do you wish your parents had called you something else?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 06:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My parents' first choice for their firstborn was 'Jutta'.
But since I was a boy, they had to change it. Thus, I got my (maternal) grandfather's first name.
Okay, for me, but I would have liked it a "th" (Walther).

I didn't get a middle name (most don't here). But a was baptised with one, "Maria", a tradition in our family since generations.

Walther Maria Wink
George

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 06:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
One of the reasons given for "baby name remorse" is
Quote:
It turns out that his/her initials spell out an embarrassing or inappropriate acronym
My initials spell GAS.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 06:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ave, Maria.
(You knew I going to say that.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 06:31 am
@George,
Salve, GAS!

Well, it's a Catholic tradition. In my paternal family at least since the 17th century for males and females. (But only 'churchwise', they were baptised but not registered with "Maria".)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:32 am
I don't regret my name or my children's names exactly. The doctor wrote my name wrong on the birth certificate. My first name, Charles, is listed as Charlie and the middle name is equally screwed up.

In the case of my children, my first wife insisted on a mis-spelling of my son's name and we argued over my daughter's name, until we settled for the one we did not fight over. But I don't actually regret their names.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:38 am
I don't regret my first name, which was my father's mother's first name. However, if I were to change my first name today, I'd pick the name Madeline
( or Madeleine).

I love that name , because it sounds so poetic and English...
DrewDad

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:46 am
@Miller,
The only thing that I'm frustrated about is that Texans appear unable to correctly pronounce my oldest daughters name.

There's a spot where when they need to say "ell" they inevitably say "ale."
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 08:20 am
@Miller,
This was my mother's middle name.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 02:26 pm
American Jewish boys in the 20th century tended to have English first names, to the point where local non-Jews (phew, that was tough; not using the word "gentile")thought the name was of Jewish origin (Barry, Irving, Stanley, Harold, etc., etc.). I thought this was a "thank-you" to the Crown for having the Balfour Declaration. Jewish girls had any name, sometimes a very Catholic Italian name, since many Jews in urban areas lived amongst Italian Catholics.

Anyway, today it can be any name. Sometimes for Jewish boys an Old Testament name. I guess the thinking might be that if the son marries out, he might attract a bible believing Christian. Not the worst place to put one's gene pool, in my opinion.
0 Replies