When did we decide it was o.k. to pay $1.90 for gas?

RfromP

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:51 am
Lately the news has been dominated by the Bush/Kerry military service "scandal" with no mention of the high cost of gasoline. Have we all acquiesced to high gas prices or has the media decided that this is just not a big enough issue to discuss? The prices at the pump affect each end every one of us and I think it needs to be addressed by the candidates.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,305 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:53 am
RfromP wrote:
Lately the news has been dominated by the Bush/Kerry military service "scandal" with no mention of the high cost of gasoline. Have we all acquiesced to high gas prices or has the media decided that this is just not a big enough issue to discuss? The prices at the pump affect each end every one of us and I think it needs to be addressed by the candidates.
Some much for a war for oil. If it were true then I guess we would be paying $1.50 or less.

We should start drilling in ANWAR to lessen to cost as well as create jobs for people in Alaska.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:55 am
With the bbl price of crude where it has been lately...I'm wondering why it hasn't been $3.50 at the pump.

And thank your lucky stars Ivan didn't wipe out the refineries in the Gulf.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:56 am
Since people had to continue driving to work and were willing to pay.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:56 am
I agree Brand X. We enjoy much cheaper gas prices here than around the world.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:09 pm
Quote:
We should start drilling in ANWAR to lessen to cost as well as create jobs for people in Alaska.

Yeah, no. How about we put those people to work on alternative fuel sources instead and leave the wildlife alone?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:15 pm
Because that would not do anything about the current problems.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:18 pm
So what? We can deal with the current problems just fine. What we should really be focusing on is solving tommorrow's problems before they happen.

Noone is going to suffer horribly from having to pay a realistic price for oil.... today. But if we spend the next ten years focusing on 'solving our current problems,' then we will still have the same problems then we do today...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:43 pm
But it employes far dofferent people, unless you know a bunch of roughnecks who wish they were science geeks...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:45 pm
Well, twenty-five years ago, when you got laid off from a foundry, people told you to get a job as a computer programer. Yeah, right! Some skills are just not as portable as they might seem, from the outside looking in.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:49 pm
China and India have become major markets for oil so there is more demand. Our experience with oil prices up to now have be based on the assumption that only western nations were major oil consumers.

It is time we found something else... like hydrogen.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:50 pm
Maybe someone can start work on a flux capacitor too...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 05:35 pm
There is excellent hybrid gas-electric technology already available. It seems like a natural gateway to full electric. The problem with hydrogen, right now anyway, is that fuel cell technology is not very far along and the hydrogen would still come from fossil fuels. Electric is totally the way to go.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 05:37 pm
$2.02 for regular yesterday. Argh.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 01:55 am
I dont know where you live,but I pay $1.66 a gallon right now.It just dropped from $1.68.

You have a choice,dont pay,use public transportation,or pay it and drive your car.
Nobody is forcing you to pay that price if you dont want to.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:47 am
As someone else has already said, the US has some of the cheapest gasoline prices in the world. Europeans visiting here are constantly amazed by how little we pay for our fuel. On average, they pay per liter what we pay per gallon. And we still bitch and gripe.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 03:02 am
complacency, good enough and screw the white owl is not the kind of thinking that put man on the moon.

imagination? future? innovation?

ring any bells?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 05:49 am
mysteryman wrote:
I dont know where you live,but I pay $1.66 a gallon right now.It just dropped from $1.68.

You have a choice,dont pay,use public transportation,or pay it and drive your car.
Nobody is forcing you to pay that price if you dont want to.

Good public transportation is largely confined to big cities. Anybody from rural America? Public transportation?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 06:51 am
No such thing Freeduck. However, in these trying times there are many alternatives.

I was commuting 40 miles each way for two years. I drive a Honda civic hybrid because I am a cheap bastard, but the miles were still too many. So, I moved. Now my commute is 9.6 miles and my stress levels as well as the amount I spend on gas has dropped substantially.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:34 am
Like you, McG, I also have made major changes in my life (like moving and biking and working from home and using public transportation when it was available) in order to avoid excess time and miles on the road. I also drive a honda civic. It isn't a hybrid but it still gets pretty good mileage. I spend about $40 a month on gas. I was raised to consider gas mileage an important factor when buying a car.
0 Replies