What can I do with okra? Besides make gumbo?

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 02:41 am
I'm out of sasssafrass for file' and don't have any shrimp, either... Is there such a thing as chicken gumbo without the file'? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,556 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 04:03 am
Have never used okra in recipes, but I found some good leads:
http://southernfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa081401b.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 04:41 am
There are lots of gumbos that don't require file or okra. As for the okra, it can be used in pretty much any kind of stew, or fried, which is always tasty. In Japan, they make a cold salad with it, slice the okra, blanch it and refresh in cold water and chill. Make a dressing with rice vinegar, mirin, a bit of soy and sesame oil. It looks very pretty in small bowls, garnished with black sesame seeds.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:27 am
what I do with Okra is to boil it down for about 3 days, add egg shells and a few weeks worth of coffee grounds and spread it in the garden as compost.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:35 am
right on brother Dys. :-) nothing but slime...ranks even lower than brussel sprouts :-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:39 am
I don't allow that stuff on my property.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:00 am
Slice it and rinse it well, then coat it in cornmeal and fry it. Fried okra is a Southern delicacy. I love it!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:12 am
Eva wrote:
Slice it and rinse it well, then coat it in cornmeal and fry it. Fried okra is a Southern delicacy. I love it!

and don't forget the Texas Pete or Pepper Vinegar..um um um
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:38 am
Oh, and use a deep fryer.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:34 am
start with a 1 inch thick slab of pine wood, lay on it a fresh caught catfish smothered with Oklra, bake at 375 for 3 hrs, remove from oven, scrape off the catfish and okra, eat pine board.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:09 pm
Do you think I can deep fry them after freezing them? Because I tossed the 2# I was given in my freezer Monday, since I wanted to keep them fresh as possible... We love fried eggplant dipped in mayo-shoyu dip, which sounds rather like the southern fried okra recipes... But I wouldn't use frozen eggplant, so probably wouldn't use frozen okra...

Phoenix, this came from your link, and I'll probably make them like this, only substituting sausage for bacon (since we hate bacon, yuck! Thphooey!)

4 slices bacon
2 small onions -- chopped
1 1/2 pounds small fresh okra, washed, stemmed -- cut in 3/4" rounds
4 ripe but firm large tomatoes -- peeled & chopped
2 teaspoons salt
black pepper -- to taste
1 small hot red pepper -- seeded & chopped
In a skillet, fry the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, drain on paper towels, crumble, and set aside. Add the onions to the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and cook 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Add the okra, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and hot pepper, stir well, and simmer till the okra and tomatoes are just soft, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle the top with crumbled bacon.

Thanks for the links and suggestions, you guys are fantastic! Very Happy
0 Replies

RealMcoy

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:19 pm
Wash it and boiled it for 3 minutes, and pour it in a fish sause with calamansi or pour it in a "Bagoong Isda" You can buy a "Bagoong Isda" in a Filipino store. Or if you have a filipino friend, ask what it is to have a lead. I tell you, it can makes the worse vegies a delicious one.
0 Replies