How to furnish an apartment

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:40 am
Me and my wife will move in to an apartment where we need to buy new furniture. The space is small, so finding the right way to furnish will be a challenge.https://cfl.dropboxstatic.com/static/images/avatar/shared-link-icon-vflHCU_m6.svg

Is it possible for someone to give me some ideas of how to furnish this livingroom? I like to have the sitting group in front of TV, but maybe it will get to tight.

kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:42 am
@kaffenons,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iki0gf7m9km3zu0/Leilighet%20m%C3%B8blering.jpg?dl=0
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:44 am
@kaffenons,
Hi, I tried to get a picture in the opening post, but it didn't work, but you should be able to follow the link in post number two.
ehBeth

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 08:32 am
https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/2/AAC2Lo-r0s5HAkGkacJm7JMFj3d1TG-nhB-3ld6Vj9LP2Q/12/597515819/jpeg/32x32/3/1472065200/0/2/Leilighet%20m%C3%B8blering.jpg/EKK80ugEGAIgAigC/8jazF4lakgHoFtNmpAIol0DdIhM45pTeYm9GycDcCwc?size_mode=3&dl=0&size=1280x960
saab

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 08:42 am
@kaffenons,
There is not much you can do different than on the picture.
You have three closets in the entrance, one in the bedroom and one for linen.
Furniture are best placesdat the outer wall and not at the wall to the bathroom.
Also you have a free walking space from entrance to kitchen area.
I would see to that the wall between living area and bathroom is sound proofed.
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 08:57 am
@saab,
I see. My thoughts was to have two chaise lounge in front of the tv with a table between, but I guess that it would be unnatural in that living room. But then I can have two winding chairs oposite the sofa, so you can turn them arround and watch TV.
saab

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:07 am
@kaffenons,
Two windings chairs would be good,
Two small pieces of furniture for putting things on and in next to the beds and a chair or bench to pile things on.
A bookcase by the bathroom wll with space for books, PC, radio or what ever.
What kind of door is there between living and bedrooms? Do you really need that? If not you have more space to put furniture.
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:12 am
@saab,
Actually I've not been there, because I have to move out of the apartment I'm renting now, and haven't been able to see the apartment yet, but it's from about 2012, so standard should be ok. It looks like it's a sliding door between the living room and the bedroom, and it seems like it's convenient because the bedroom is so short. But I'll reconsider that when I get to the apartment, so thank's for the tip.

Good tip about the wall to the bathroom for a computer and such, should be ok if it's not too deep. And we'll get something to have next to bed too.
ehBeth

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:18 am
@ehBeth,
I'd probably move the tv to the wall that backs onto the bathroom and flip the living room and dining room furniture if I couldn't find furniture that works for both roles at the same time.

I'd prefer to eat closer to the balcony rather than to the kitchen. I usually flip my space usage that way.

Since the bedroom looks so tiny, you may look for some storage that can be wall-hung in there.
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:32 am
@ehBeth,
I'm not sure why you would flip the TV, and the eating place/sitting place. I think flipping just one would be better for the viewing angle to the TV. So I'll look in to flipping living/dining room, that looks like a possible solution.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:04 pm
@kaffenons,
kaffenons wrote:
It looks like it's a sliding door between the living room and the bedroom,

that door symbol shows the door opening into the bedroom
saab

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:19 pm
@ehBeth,
I would not change the dining area and the sittingarea. It is so much easier to set the table when it is close to the kitchen and the livingroom furniture are too big.
Sitting in a sofa you will have daylight from the windows - usually one spends more time there than at the diningtable.
I do not know where this apartment is, but it is a Swedish.
Swedes would like light by the sofa and candles on the diningtable. At least all the dark months of the year.
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Are you sure? To me it seems like there is a sliding door on the left side of the bed and a door from the hall opening into the bedroom.
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:29 pm
@saab,
Yes, it is Swedish, in the city Västerås. We're moving there from Gothenburg because it's so difficult to get an apartment to rent in the biggest cities here in Sweden, and I'm a Norwegian so I don't have queue points here. My work don't rely on location either. The apartment is North/South as you see it, so it will get good light in the daytime.
saab

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:38 pm
@kaffenons,
i saw that in Stockholm there are over 16 years waiting time on the queue list.
Who on earth can plan 16 years ahead as a young person?
Hope you will like the apartment and Västerås.
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:49 pm
@saab,
Yes, it's a strange system they got, it's 5-10 years in Gothenburg too. What would you say is the minimum width of walking space between the hall and the kitchen?
saab

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:57 pm
@kaffenons,
I do not really understand your quetion. Do you mean from door to stove or how broad a route you need to walk
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 01:00 pm
@saab,
Yes, how broad the route should be, or how narrow it can be and still not be bad furnishing.
saab

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 01:02 pm
@kaffenons,
Walk with a shoppingbag in one hand and messaure how much space you need.
It depends a bit on you and your size.
ehBeth

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 01:06 pm
@saab,
You're describing the traditional Canadian approach as well.

It's not one I like. As I said above, I prefer to have my eating area near the balcony (and window). I'm a rebel that way Laughing

The furniture in the diagram is an idea, not a law.
0 Replies