NBC Asks DNC To Pull 'Fortunate Son' Ad.

Brand X

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 03:27 pm
Likely Bedfellows
If it's good enough for 60 Minutes, it's good enough for the DNC.
by Stephen F. Hayes
09/14/2004 3:30:00 PM

A NEW attack ad from the Democratic National Committee features footage lifted from the much-disputed 60 Minutes segment aired by CBS News last Wednesday and from an interview last February from NBC's Meet the Press. When the Bush-Cheney campaign in February used footage from an interview President Bush gave NBC's Meet the Press, the network immediately demanded that the campaign pull the ad.

"NBC News did not, and does not, authorize this misuse of our copyrighted material," the network said in its February 10 statement. "As a news interview program, 'Meet the Press' takes very seriously the unauthorized use of its content for partisan political purposes."

NBC lawyers are working on a formal letter asking the DNC to pull the ad. Will CBS do the same? CBS spokeswomen Sandy Genelius and Kelli Edwards did not return telephone and emailed requests for comment. (The smart move, of course, would be for CBS to follow NBC's lead and demand that the ad be pulled or, at least, that the 60 Minutes footage be edited out.)

It is not unusual or illegal for political campaigns to use television footage under the protection of the "fair use" doctrine. But the Bush campaign ad was rather bland compared to the new ad from the DNC. It was a positive ad in which President Bush defends his conduct of U.S. foreign policy. Says Bush:

America has a responsibility in this world to lead, a responsibility to lead in the war against terror, a responsibility to speak

clearly about the threats that we all face, a responsibility to promote freedom to free people from the clutches of barbaric people such as Saddam Hussein who tortured and mutilated. There were mass graves that we had found.

The DNC video, by contrast, is hard-hitting. While it does not use the disputed memos that have attracted so much attention over the past week, the ad accuses Bush of using family connections to avoid service in Vietnam. Viewers see footage of Ben Barnes, former speaker of the house and lieutenant governor of Texas, taken from the September 8, 2004, airing of 60 Minutes. (Barnes is also a fundraiser for John Kerry, something 60 Minutes noted in the original broadcast but does not appear in the DNC video.)

Barnes: And I recommended a lot of people for the National Guard during the Vietnam era--as Speaker of the House and as Lieutenant Governor.

Rather: And you recommended George W. Bush?

Barnes: Yes, I did.

Rather: When you said that you did this for others, what can only be called preferential treatment for President Bush. Would you describe it as that?

Barnes: Oh, I would describe it as preferential treatment.

With NBC asking the DNC to pull the ad, CBS will likely be left with little choice but to do the same. Will it be the first of several steps the network will take to restore its badly shaken credibility? We'll see.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 511 • Replies: 4
No top replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:41 pm
Even the President of the United States is innocent until proven guilty.

You don't need a handwriting expert for this one.

You just need to vote for whoever you think is the better man.
In this case I believe it is John Kerry who has not yet dirtied his hands on the grim situation we're in domestically an abroad.

But the fact that he is willing means he should have a chance.

Let's see how things go in the next weeks and stop focusing in thirty five year old news that will embarass Bush once the truth gets out and the red herring of documents is abandoned to hearing witnesses whom we've already heard.

This isn't a matter of who is a fake. We all saw the declaration of "victory" sixty miles west of San Diego. We don't believe that is where the Iraq war has been getting uglier ever since.

We know who is a fake. The problem is how can fool a majority. And how can we be sure he won't cheat (again).
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:43 pm
The problem is how can George Bush fool a majority. And how can we be sure he won't cheat again?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:36 am
I don't really understand the specifics of this issue.

However, in general I think if CBS or the DNC caves before they have to (if they have to after all the legal haggling is over) then I think it is another shame. Like when CBS caved and pulled that Reagan show.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:37 am
Seems like NBC is just being consistent and not really making a judgment on content.
0 Replies